Sponsored by:

Alarm issue

Search this Thread

Old 14 October 2020, 12:21 PM
johno01
Scooby Regular

Received 670 Likes on 519 Posts
Default Alarm issue

Hi all, hopefully someone can help....the spare key I got with my 2005 uk sti has never worked so I put a new battery in it and still nothing, does absolutely nothing. Today I followed the instructions on here and tried to pair it with my car again and WOOHOO it locks, unlocks so I thought fantastic!!! The issue I have is it initially starts the car but then the key symbol appears on the dash and the car cuts out after a second. So it’s went from doing absolutely nothing to locking and unlocking but when I try starting the car the immobiliser kicks in after a second. The original key still works fine...can anyone help? Cheers.
Old 14 October 2020, 12:48 PM
1509joe
Scooby Regular

Received 278 Likes on 248 Posts

The key basically has two functions the buttons lock and unlock. The immobiliser is a chip inside the fob it needs to be coded to the car or it has possibly fell out while changing the battery
Alot of your highstreet locksmiths can clone keys.

Last edited by 1509joe; 14 October 2020 at 12:49 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Old 14 October 2020, 12:50 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 746 Likes on 619 Posts

Your second key, probably has a transponder in it that isn't paired to the car's ECU/ security module. You currently only have it paired to the Sigma alarm system.(unlock/Lock /set alarm)
You either need to get it paired by "someone" using the full suite of Subaru Select Monitor or Ecutek. Or obtain keys that have transponders in them cloned to your original working one. ( https://www.facebook.com/jdmsubarukeys)

Old 14 October 2020, 12:58 PM
johno01
Scooby Regular

Thanks both, just 1 more question....I’ve changed the pin on my sigma keypad on here and it works thanks to scoobynet. Could I possibly lock and unlock the car with the faulty key but disarm the immobiliser with the keypad, or does it not work like that? Cheers
Old 14 October 2020, 01:03 PM
1509joe
Scooby Regular

You may ask Don about that one I only have JDM cars and get tortured with customers (not Subaru specific) that have lost dropped their keys and the chip has escaped

Last edited by 1509joe; 14 October 2020 at 01:05 PM.
Old 14 October 2020, 01:08 PM
johno01
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 1509joe
You may ask Don about that one I only have JDM cars and get tortured with customers (not Subaru specific) that have lost dropped their keys and the chip has escaped
thanks joe👍👍 I’d just like to keep the original keys I have if you get me without needing replacement

Old 14 October 2020, 01:28 PM
1509joe
Scooby Regular

The Facebook link Don gave you above is your best bet that man is doing Subaru's all the time apparently. You could also try locally it only seems to be when you have no keys that the high street locksmiths get twisted for obvious reasons.
Old 14 October 2020, 07:33 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 746 Likes on 619 Posts

Originally Posted by johno01
Thanks both, just 1 more question....I’ve changed the pin on my sigma keypad on here and it works thanks to scoobynet. Could I possibly lock and unlock the car with the faulty key but disarm the immobiliser with the keypad, or does it not work like that? Cheers
Two totally different systems.
ECU immobiliser system uses the key transponder chip.
Sigma alarm is integrated into the keyless entry system and has it's own immobiliser circuits - key has modified PCB fitted and one button cover when it arrives in the UK replacing original 2 button setup.

If you want to keep the keys you need to find out if the second key still has it's transponder, if it has you then need to get it paired/coded to the car again along with the working one.
Either using Subaru Select Monitor (Subaru Dealer) or a mapper who uses Ecutek (both known sources who can fix, there may be others).
Despite having had the single button keys in the past I've never actually seem the chip.
You may be able to get a transponder chip (cloned to your existing working one) from a place like Timpsons but you'd probably have to buy a key as well.

Old 15 October 2020, 02:34 AM
johno01
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Don Clark
Two totally different systems.
ECU immobiliser system uses the key transponder chip.
Sigma alarm is integrated into the keyless entry system and has it's own immobiliser circuits - key has modified PCB fitted and one button cover when it arrives in the UK replacing original 2 button setup.

If you want to keep the keys you need to find out if the second key still has it's transponder, if it has you then need to get it paired/coded to the car again along with the working one.
Either using Subaru Select Monitor (Subaru Dealer) or a mapper who uses Ecutek (both known sources who can fix, there may be others).
Despite having had the single button keys in the past I've never actually seem the chip.
You may be able to get a transponder chip (cloned to your existing working one) from a place like Timpsons but you'd probably have to buy a key as well.
thanks don, I’m going to take a trip to Colin appleyard Subaru to check if they can sort it, if not il have to just buy a new key from that link you gave me.
Old 15 October 2020, 09:51 PM
immotec
Scooby Newbie

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Thare are many cheap tools available to clone the transponder part of the key. It is a 4D 60 transponder. On fords they can be reused when progamming diagnosticly, have yet to try this on my wagon.
Timpsons are able to but get confused unless you ask for a full key, try a local auto locksmith or the guy linked further up, unless your local to Hull then I can do this for you
Old 15 October 2020, 10:15 PM
johno01
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by immotec
Thare are many cheap tools available to clone the transponder part of the key. It is a 4D 60 transponder. On fords they can be reused when progamming diagnosticly, have yet to try this on my wagon.
Timpsons are able to but get confused unless you ask for a full key, try a local auto locksmith or the guy linked further up, unless your local to Hull then I can do this for you
that is very good of you sir, but I’m 2 hour 30 mins away...thank you very much for the offer

Old 16 October 2020, 09:41 AM
johno01
Scooby Regular

Old 16 October 2020, 10:21 AM
1509joe
Scooby Regular

Open up your two keys and check that your chip is still in the none working key they are usually a wee black matchstick affair about 8mm long. Maybe save you a heap of running about it find it's fell out while the battery was being changed and you can't programme what's not there

Last edited by 1509joe; 16 October 2020 at 10:27 AM. Reason: Picture
Old 16 October 2020, 10:31 AM
johno01
Scooby Regular

Open up your two keys and check that your chip is still in the none working key they are usually a wee black matchstick affair about 8mm long. Maybe save you a heap of running about it find it's fell out while the battery was being changed and you can't programme what's not there
thanks joe, I’m going to have a look when I get home and if everything is there I may take a drive to hull for a good man on here to sort it, he’s done it before and he knows what he is doing. Worth the drive.
Old 16 October 2020, 10:38 AM
1509joe
Scooby Regular

Day out for you £x for key £100 for fuel
Old 16 October 2020, 11:03 AM
johno01
Scooby Regular

Default ...

Day out for you £x for key £100 for fuel
spot on joe, I’m a b1tch with this car so I might stretch her legs for a change or I’m going to send the key first class 🤫🤫 I drive 6 days a week so on my day off the last thing I want is a 5 hour round trip in a bone shaker. See what happens
Old 16 October 2020, 11:33 AM
1509joe
Scooby Regular

spot on joe, I’m a b1tch with this car so I might stretch her legs for a change or I’m going to send the key first class 🤫🤫 I drive 6 days a week so on my day off the last thing I want is a 5 hour round trip in a bone shaker. See what happens
Old 19 October 2020, 09:39 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

This.

So many times I’ve had customers “change the battery” not knowing that it has nothing to do with the transponder that works the immobilisers. So hard sometimes to get them to understand that the locking remote/alarm and immobilisers are two separate systems.

Crack key open...oh no...the chip’s fell out.

Usually it’s someone who replaced the fob housing/case due to worn buttons, swapped the key blade and circuit board for the locking and thrown away the casing with the chip still inside.

In fairness it is the size of a small rat dropping, so if you don’t know about it, you will miss it.

Although since 1998 (when immobilisers became mandatory), every UK specification car from probably more than 90% of all makes have these chips in the key and nearly all were a “rat poo” sized chip (or glass tube) separate to the remote locking circuit board; Philips at one point was the sole chip manufacturer (except a few oddballs like some Fiats). It only in the past ten years or so with keyless start has the transponder been combined into the actual circuit board.

Last edited by ALi-B; 19 October 2020 at 09:56 AM.
Old 19 October 2020, 09:45 AM
johno01
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
This.

So many times I’ve had customers “change the battery” not knowing that it has nothing to do with the transponder that works the immobilisers. So hard sometimes to get them to understand that the locking remote/alarm and immobilisers are two separate systems.

Crack key open...oh no...the chip’s fell out.

Usually it’s someone who replaced the fob housing/case due to worn buttons, swapped the key blade and circuit board for the locking and thrown away the casing with the chip still inside.

In fairness it is the size of a small rat dropping, so if you don’t know about it, you will miss it.

Although since 1996, every UK specification car from probably more than 90% of all makes have these chips in the key and nearly all were a “rat poo” sized chip separate to the remote locking circuit board (except a few oddballs like some Fiats). It only in the past ten years or so with keyless start have the transponder been combined into the actual circuit board.
cheers Ali, I completely forgot to have a look at the weekend gone. I will probably have a look tonight.
Old 27 October 2020, 08:49 AM
johno01
Scooby Regular

UPDATE

Morning all. Hope your well. So after phoning around numerous key places because of this transponder issue, none were interested, Subaru wanted 300 for a new key, Colin appleyard wanted 50 quid just to try plus obviously petrol money so circa £100. IMMOTEC on here on this thread offered to sort it for me by either bringing the car to hull or via post the keys at my risk obviously which I was apprehensive but ALL SORTED for cheaper than both, 2 day turn around as well so a massive thanks to IMMOTEC. Lads and girls any key issues give this man a message. Fantastic service 👍👍👍
Old 27 October 2020, 08:51 AM
johno01
Scooby Regular

I posted my keys btw special delivery for £7.50 and gave tom at IMMOTEC the £7.50 for the return and it was still cheaper than Colin appleyard Subaru. im buzzing now my 2 keys are working. Happy days
Old 27 October 2020, 11:09 AM
1509joe
Scooby Regular

I posted my keys btw special delivery for £7.50 and gave tom at IMMOTEC the £7.50 for the return and it was still cheaper than Colin appleyard Subaru. im buzzing now my 2 keys are working. Happy days
Glad all sorted, did he enlighten you as to whether your other key had a chip in it.
Old 27 October 2020, 12:16 PM
johno01
Scooby Regular

Glad all sorted, did he enlighten you as to whether your other key had a chip in it.
it did mate, had the original in it but just didn’t work for some reason. 👍
Old 27 October 2020, 12:20 PM
1509joe
Scooby Regular

it did mate, had the original in it but just didn’t work for some reason. 👍
Old 28 October 2020, 09:25 AM
immotec
Scooby Newbie

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

the non working key appeared to be an original , 1 digit different to the working one, so I can only assume it had been diagnositicly erased from vehicle when lost at some point and then found but not re programmed. 👍