ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

2005 STI alarm/immobilser issue

Search this Thread

Old 04 October 2019, 10:36 AM
Feffers
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 2005 STI alarm/immobilser issue

Hi All. Hoping for some help please. Went out to the car this morning after not giving her a run for a few weeks. Battery completely flat.

I've jumped it using leads at which point the alarm is sounding. Pressing the key fob isn't turning it off/disarming.

I've rung Subaru who provided me with the overide code for the little key pad and tried entering that. The LED on the pad flashes but the alarm doesnt turn off and immobiliser still active. The dealer said try it a few times, but the manual says after the third attempt it will lock out for 30 mins. So I tried it twice with no luck and stopped there.

Any ideas? Do I need to leave the jump leads on with the alarm going for long enough to get enough juice for the central locking to work via the key fob? Or has it running completely flat meant I need to re-program the key!?

Sod's law I need the car urgently....

Cheers,

Old 04 October 2019, 10:59 AM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

Received 272 Likes on 236 Posts

the key should not loose its memory , i would leave it on trickle charge for a while and try when it’s in a better state of charge
Old 04 October 2019, 11:01 AM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

i’m assuming it’s a sigma alarm, and key pad works , as key pads are a known fault
Old 04 October 2019, 12:05 PM
Feffers
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for replying. The LED on the key pad flashes every time I enter a number of the code which Subaru gave me but unsure if that's normal or not. I guess it's possible that a previous owner may have changed it for some reason.

I've disconnected the battery to put a charge into it for an hour. Reconnected and alarm immediately goes off and neither Key fob or overide code working.

Bit of a loss now!
Old 04 October 2019, 02:11 PM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

leave the leads on , put key in the ignition give it a turn to start then push the alarm fob , it is worth checking all the numbers on the pad is working ? worth calling previous owner to see if he changed the pin , did subaru give you a pin or the over ride code , sometimes over ride code won’t work as key pad not working ?
Old 04 October 2019, 04:03 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 753 Likes on 624 Posts

From Sigma Sam
When using the keypad always observe the following points:

- The PIN number should not be entered too quickly or too slowly - when a digit has been pressed the small LED built into the keypad will illuminate briefly as confirmation and only then should the next digit be entered. - If an incorrect digit is pressed or the delay between entering digits exceeds10 seconds, then the LED above the keypad will flash rapidly and the PIN attempt should be abborted and started again after 30 seconds.

- Due to the small size of the keypad some users may find a rubber tipped pencil easier to use. DO NOT use the sharp tip of a ball point pen etc, or press excessively hard on the keypad as this will only damage the membrane and cause a digit to remain pressed, causing a continual incorrect PIN.

If above is all good and PIN not working, then you have probably been supplied with the original pin code which has been changed by the previous owner as mentioned previously.
Old 05 October 2019, 05:07 PM
SimonCZ
Scooby Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had the same issue last year. Spent half a day trying the above, if you do a search there is loads of info about this on the forum but in the end couldn’t make it work, ended up going to Subaru dealer who did it for £70😳
Old 10 October 2019, 09:47 PM
Charlie boy 2
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have a tracker, I had one on a 2004 STI and that was constantly draining the battery, after trying and trying I ended up getting the tracker disconnected and that solved the battery drain issues, that is a well known problem on cars around that age.