Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Classic non-turbo, oil on plugs...implications?

Search this Thread

Old 12 May 2020, 01:41 PM
nicam49
Scooby Regular

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Classic non-turbo, oil on plugs...implications?

He Peeps, got a classic Sport wagon MY1999, that has sat on the drive for 2 years doing nothing, so I thought I'd try and mot it. Got a set of plugs from ECP, and have so far changed 3 of them, am working out how to change the one next to the screen wash bottle at the mo, but question is this: the front plugs on both pots were oiled up and there was a brown stain ring around the ceramic bodies on the old plugs. Oh, and the sparkplug spanner also had oil on it when it came out with the plugs. Is this bad news for the engine? Thanks for your thoughts..
Old 13 May 2020, 07:22 PM
nicam49
Scooby Regular

Well I am amazed. It passed the MOT! Build date 11/99, 105k miles, its an EJ201, SOHC NA engine, am looking on youtube how to change timing belt etc now. 3 out of 4 sparkplugs had oil on the ceramic bodies, so if anyone's got any ideas why, I'd appreciate some advice, thanks

Old 13 May 2020, 07:50 PM
sti.dean
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like oil is leaking from rocker covers into sparkplug wells. To get plug out remove washer bottle first. you want a 3/8 drive plug socket and short extension, fit them onto plug first with the right size extension it should be just sticking out the top of rocker covers then attach ratchet.
halfords do a nice spark plug removal set for not to much money it has a cranked ratchet and locking extension bar that works really well with the impreza.
The following users liked this post:
Old 14 May 2020, 07:34 AM
Shane
Scooby Regular

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

As above, remove the washer bottle for the back right plug, I assume the 99 Sport is the same as the 99 Turbo with the coil being mounted away from the plug and not being a coil on plug solution. It is definitely the most awkward but can be done, I have a slim MAC plug socket with a clip in it that retains the spark plug and makes things a bit easier.

Old 14 May 2020, 01:54 PM
nicam49
Scooby Regular

Thanks both! Much appreciated. That plug spanner with the clip looks clever! Also, my Sport is the same red.+ rusty bits. I don't suppose there's an easy solution to the oil in the plug well issue?...I'm about to search on youtube as I haven't got a clue what's underneath the rocker covers...(rockers, obviously)
Just had a look, and they're called 'tube seals' and come as part of the valve cover gasket set.

Last edited by nicam49; 14 May 2020 at 04:22 PM.
Old 14 May 2020, 06:09 PM
Shane
Scooby Regular

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Not an easy one I'm afraid although they can apparently be done with the engine place, if it's the same setup as the turbo rocker cover there is the main gasket round the perimeter of the rocker cover, a smaller gasket around each spark plug, some seals for the rocker cover bolts and some plastic half moon seals at the back of the engine which go hard and leak, I understand you need some liquid gasket at key points around the gasket as well.