Misfire ISSUE ! Need help please

Search this Thread

Old 24 April 2020, 07:41 PM
picnictaylor
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Misfire ISSUE ! Need help please

So I’ve recently got my hands on a 2001 Subaru Impreza Wrx 2.0 AWD
When purchased there was a misfire issue I was advised and assumed that the spark plugs needed changing as it’s just been sitting

managed to change the spark plugs and one of the coil packs as the others seemed fine and still the same problem

the garage next door provided my with a compression test kit and we tested the valves number 1 & 2 came out at 80 & 3 & 4 came out at 150 I have been advised that I need to rebuild the engine

does anyone have any suggestions based on experience on what I can do please would be a great help as I want to be sure before I think about rebuilding anything

the misfire is ongoing whenever I start no matter how long it runs other then this the car is sweet loss of power until I’m in 3rd but still has a beautiful pull it will be a shame to lose her when I just got her
Old 24 April 2020, 11:10 PM
RockyRoad
Scooby Regular

Received 123 Likes on 104 Posts

You could perform a leak down test to figure out where the loss of compression is coming from but I’d bet you’re probably going to need a rebuild. Might just be head gaskets, could be valves, could be a crack somewhere, could be worn piston rings or could be something else entirely.
The following users liked this post:
Old 24 April 2020, 11:43 PM
picnictaylor
Scooby Newbie

Cheers @RockyRoad
im gonna get in in the garage over the next week and hopefully get a proper look and take it from there
I’m too attached to turn back on it not going to lie just worried thinking about how much a rebuild is going to cost
just got it and now all the fun is yet to begin

I’ll keep you updated pal
Old 25 April 2020, 08:43 AM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

Received 270 Likes on 234 Posts

a good code reader so you can find more about the misfire before you do any more to it in case it’s another fault , compression test rather worrying , has it been sitting up for a long time , or was it parked up due to an issue ? is it high mileage ?
Old 25 April 2020, 09:37 AM
MrRtm
Scooby Regular

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

You sure you did the compression test right? I'd also check the timing on the cambelt
Old 25 April 2020, 09:44 AM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

Received 270 Likes on 234 Posts

if an engine is worn , or a really bad tune then you expect piston damage or wear so less compression , if it’s a 2.5 you can expect less compression 😕🤣, if it’s been sitting around have valves got a bit clogged and it needs a good run ??
Old 25 April 2020, 01:45 PM
picnictaylor
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Vxr2010
a good code reader so you can find more about the misfire before you do any more to it in case it’s another fault , compression test rather worrying , has it been sitting up for a long time , or was it parked up due to an issue ? is it high mileage ?

hopefully gunna get a computer on it today and check out the codes so if that helps it’s been sitting for a while as previous owner recommended I just service it as he hasn’t driven in a while mileage is 143k
Old 25 April 2020, 01:46 PM
picnictaylor
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by MrRtm
You sure you did the compression test right? I'd also check the timing on the cambelt
I assume so pal but can never be to sure ahaha can you recommend a link for a video that I could maybe follow to be sure please
Old 25 April 2020, 01:47 PM
picnictaylor
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Vxr2010
if an engine is worn , or a really bad tune then you expect piston damage or wear so less compression , if it’s a 2.5 you can expect less compression 😕🤣, if it’s been sitting around have valves got a bit clogged and it needs a good run ??

2.0 it is dude yeh gave it a good run after changing the spark plugs and one of the coil packs the other 3 coil packs seemed ok so just changed the one but I think imma take it for a good run today and look into potential piston damage cheers
Old 25 April 2020, 06:52 PM
MrRtm
Scooby Regular

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

For compression test this is a pretty simple guide :
https://www.clubwrx.net/threads/diy-...est.134305186/

For timing, just take each side of the cover off and there should be markings that line up on the belt and cams.