Sponsored by:

Maf disconnect

Search this Thread

Old 07 April 2020, 12:07 AM
nickyprice1982ss
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maf disconnect

New car checked under bonnet. Maf not plugged in. When I connect it car dies. Is this due to map?
Old 07 April 2020, 12:10 AM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

Received 270 Likes on 234 Posts

have you plugged it in then tried starting it ? i just use the phone app so what car are we talking ?
Old 07 April 2020, 12:32 AM
nickyprice1982ss
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Vxr2010
have you plugged it in then tried starting it ? i just use the phone app so what car are we talking ?
hi . Yes plugged it in then started it cut out straight away. Disconnected it started car up again an kept running? I'm having oil problems also. Just fitted a catch pan and have ordered a pcv valve. Hopefully this will sort out my oil leak and burning of oil under boost. 05 impreza wrx moded to 347 bhp. Cheers for reply
Old 07 April 2020, 12:46 AM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

i would be tempted to put a known working maf in as current one may be broken , i would expect if maf has been tuned out it will still be connected not left unplugged ? how much oil are you loosing ? is car high mileage ?
Old 07 April 2020, 12:55 AM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

there is a chance that the engine has learnt to run with no maf ? or it’s been disconnected as it’s broken or it’s been tuned to run mafless , only a tuner or some one good at looking at the ecu could answer that , the maf tends not to throw up any fault codes if it’s not working , do you have a code reader to check for codes , or some way of plugging maf back in and resetting the ecu and see if it runs ok , some oil loss is normal but depends on how much you are loosing , other option look on line to see if there is a way to reset your ecu and plug the maf in and see how it runs
The following users liked this post:
Old 07 April 2020, 01:01 AM
nickyprice1982ss
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Vxr2010
i would be tempted to put a known working maf in as current one may be broken , i would expect if maf has been tuned out it will still be connected not left unplugged ? how much oil are you loosing ? is car high mileage ?
ok cheers. It's 125k it's got a drip on my driveway and I'd say it's burning about a litre a week think. Only had it a month. I'm hoping it's the pcv. Looks like the oil is dripping from that location. Il have another look at maf tomorrow as I have read they can be put on the wrong way round ?
Old 07 April 2020, 01:19 AM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

a common leak area is the rocker cover gaskets , they are not too bad to change , a proper look underneath is probably the best route , i would fill up the dipstick to the max on very level ground , reset the trip and then drive it , when you next top up park in exactly the same place, top it up you will get an accurate figure in how many miles v how much used , the dip sticks are well known to be hard to read , i’m going to get some stick on what i’m writing now but it has worked for me before , it is not a full proper reset but it appears to have an impact on the ecu and it’s parameters maybe just fuel trims ? , plug maf in , disconnect the battery pump brake pedal 30 or so times leave for 30 mins then reconnect the battery , i have an older style ecu in my fsti so it has an impact but may not work on all cars , and no guarantee it will work on yours , but it is well documented on line
Old 07 April 2020, 01:24 AM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

The pcv valve on mine is possibly same area as yours , if it’s leaking from that
you would probably just get a patch of oil on the top of the engine , there is a rubber pipe that comes off the back of the turbo that i believe runs oil out of the turbo into the sump , could this be the leak , pipe is difficult to see from the top of the engine