Sponsored by:

Check engine light

Search this Thread

Old 04 April 2020, 10:21 PM
kazlo
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Check engine light

Hi guys I have a UK 2000 MY 99 with 120000, every now and again the check engine light comes on,I don’t understand as the car runs as sweet as ever, has anyone else experienced this, thanks for any advice in advance.
Old 04 April 2020, 11:53 PM
Flat4x4-again
Scooby Regular

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

I had this for a couple of years on mine despite the car running fine - usually just after setting off but not always.

Changed the MAF sensor for a new genuine Subaru part and no problems since (3 years on)
The following users liked this post:
Old 04 April 2020, 11:56 PM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 640 Likes on 466 Posts

I had that on a blob wagon, swapped out just about everything, no luck, then cleaned injectors, never had it again.
Old 05 April 2020, 08:22 PM
Beastie
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by kazlo
Hi guys I have a UK 2000 MY 99 with 120000, every now and again the check engine light comes on,I don’t understand as the car runs as sweet as ever, has anyone else experienced this, thanks for any advice in advance.
I had this, light came on occasionally then went out. Was lambda probe. Changed that and the problem fixed. These models quite hard on MAFs too. Changed mine for a new one when the car was 4 years old just as a precaution.
Old 05 April 2020, 11:15 PM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Have you thought about reading what the error code is for?
Old 06 April 2020, 08:11 AM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 640 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by JDM_Stig
Have you thought about reading what the error code is for?
That's the frustrating issue with something like that, because without full diagnostic you are left with swapping out expensive parts one by one. I can't remember what my code was, but on the advice of respected impreza mechanics, I replaced nps, coil packs, and numerous sensors. I even had a Terraclean ( that WAS a waste) I was assured it couldn't be my injectors, but on testing the flow was poor, and I never looked back. I'm not suggesting that this is the op's issue, just highlighting how hard it is to track down, even with a code. However, everyone bangs on about changing spark plugs regularly, but generally ignore their injectors, which are crucial to have a good spray pattern, and will be in a **** state at above 70000 miles.
Codes are definitely a starting point though.
Old 06 April 2020, 09:55 AM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by hedgecutter
That's the frustrating issue with something like that, because without full diagnostic you are left with swapping out expensive parts one by one. I can't remember what my code was, but on the advice of respected impreza mechanics, I replaced nps, coil packs, and numerous sensors. I even had a Terraclean ( that WAS a waste) I was assured it couldn't be my injectors, but on testing the flow was poor, and I never looked back. I'm not suggesting that this is the op's issue, just highlighting how hard it is to track down, even with a code. However, everyone bangs on about changing spark plugs regularly, but generally ignore their injectors, which are crucial to have a good spray pattern, and will be in a **** state at above 70000 miles.
Codes are definitely a starting point though.
surely a laptop and an hour would have shown what the issue was,
live data logging tells me a lot , I suppose being old school I am used to diagnostics without any computers to help,
a simple plug check can tell a lot about how an engine is running which pot to start looking for issues ect,
many "mechanics" nowadays are just part fitters, no diagnostic skills, if the computer doesn't say yes they just swap parts in a certain order, typically start with the cheapest first,
Being an electrician by trade maybe my logic/diagnostics skills are just better,
Many assume it's x or y as that's what it was for them.
Old 06 April 2020, 02:15 PM
scooobydont
Scooby Regular

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

I was able to use a bluetooth OBD reader and the torque app to read the code I had on my blobeye, total cost was under £10 (not sure if this cabn be used on MY2000?) Mine was a warning about emissions from the CAT, cleared code via the app and took it for a blast (had just been doing short commutes back and forward to work for weeks so suspect the cat had not been getting up to temp (no idea tbh)) and the EML never came back.

In short, read and cleared code for about £10 and fixed issue on Jap car with an Italian tune up.
Old 07 April 2020, 08:09 AM
Andycat
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

can any bluetooth OBD reader off ebay do a blobeye or does it need to be a certain type?
Old 07 April 2020, 12:30 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

I'd go for a descent one that connects to your phone and uses an app. Although I have a cheap ODB reader with cable cost me £15 and works perfectly.

I have a light come on my new classic, but think it's the cat and it's blowing.

Not checked it yet as goes off as soon as I drive off.

Originally Posted by Andycat
can any bluetooth OBD reader off ebay do a blobeye or does it need to be a certain type?
Old 09 April 2020, 01:35 AM
kazlo
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

What APP would you use with an OBD reader, I don’t know anything about these , I am truly a Dinosaur lol. And where is the port you plug into, I’m guessing it’s not easily accessible lol

Last edited by kazlo; 09 April 2020 at 01:38 AM. Reason: More info added
Old 09 April 2020, 03:08 AM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 746 Likes on 619 Posts

As it's a MY99 it is highly unlikely to be OBD compliant and will either need Subaru select monitor (SSM) or read the codes the "classic" way
http://www.scoobypedia.co.uk/index.p...eadingECUCodes