Sponsored by:

JDM Forester on the way to the UK

Search this Thread

Old 13 March 2020, 02:49 PM
MB84
Scooby Regular

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Default JDM Forester on the way to the UK

Hello everyone it's my first post here but I've been a long time lurker, after a lots of research and lost nights I've taken the jump and won a bid on a Forester from Japan, that should be on the way to the UK soon, it's nothing exciting not an STI or anything like that I originally had my heart set on a 2007 Cross Sports Turbo but I won this for a good price and low miles I still like the older model more to be honest....maybe I'll get an STI in a few years....I probably will... yep most likely will...

I will try and do everything by myself, just need some advice from those of you who have done it before....I chose Southampton for the delivery port, should I try and sort everything out in Southampton , MOT etc I'm assuming there are Import companies there ? Could you recommend any ? And also in terms of the customs clearance procedure did you do it by yourself or did you use an agent?

I plan to leave it in Km/h and just get an electronic plug in display in mph...

Any advice in terms of underseal?

Also I keep reading that for JDM imports you need to do something in regards to the fuel you use , my Dad who lives abroad and is a very good mechanic insists nothing needs to be done and that's nonsense just use regular fuel and the car will adapt to it....I'm not sure I trust him on this one....

How much of a pain is all the registration and customs and would I just be better off going through a company I think there's one in Bristol that charges about £350 for everything...

The fog light, did you do it by yourself or pay for it, how much did it set you back?

I'm planning filters, oil, cam belt and gearbox oil change as soon as it lands.....fingers crossed everything else is ok...anything else you recommend ?

Nothing else I can think off at the moment....

Last edited by MB84; 04 May 2020 at 12:04 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Old 14 March 2020, 12:14 AM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

Received 270 Likes on 234 Posts

It looks like a turbo model so run it on super unleaded don’t use normal unleaded , dinitrol is a must for under sealing , it’s easy to convert to mph and it may have to be done any way , a fog light about 20 £ sometimes you can use an existing section of the rear cluster and put a red bulb in it , the main thing is fuel , jap fuel is i think 103 ron , if you use super unleaded it should be fine ive never had an issue on my imports , still worth getting map checked or get it remapped , if you use regular unleaded it will more than likely kill the engine
Old 14 March 2020, 07:16 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

how did you go on about bidding... buying and sorting out it getting on a ship to the UK?
Old 14 March 2020, 07:29 PM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

Received 270 Likes on 234 Posts

i’ve had three jdm fsti but i have always bought already landed ones , torque gt are very well praised speak to them , let them sort things for you for a fee , it will save you a lot of hassle
Old 14 March 2020, 07:30 PM
MB84
Scooby Regular

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I went with Autospecs Japan, not sure I'm allowed to post links but they are well known and recommended here in the UK, you set up an account with them and you have access to the daily auctions in Japan from varoius locations, before you get access to bidding you have to make a deposit of 150000 JPY , when you see something you like you place a max amount you are willing to pay, if no one else outbids you then you won after you win you get a bill for everything and you have to pay in 3 working days.

Last edited by MB84; 05 May 2020 at 01:09 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Old 15 March 2020, 01:46 AM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

does any one check if the car has any knocking sounds or engine issues ?

what do you think the total cost to get the car here will cost you?

Yen to ££ isn't a good exchange rate so will you have still saved on this than buying one already done and sorted in the UK?