Notices

Classic UK Turbo V JDM STI Big Bang Theory??

Search this Thread

Old 13 October 2008, 12:31 AM
Scoobydrive
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Classic UK Turbo V JDM STI Big Bang Theory??

I know this has been done before in some shape or form and I have done lots of searches etc but still confused about some things re so many blown engines/rebuilds so here goes, any answers greatly appreciated.

1. It appears that there are a lot fewer UK Turbo engines letting go than JDM sti ones, if in theory the jdm has stronger internals, why is this? Is it solely down to fuel octane rating?

2. I have read that one of the big reasons is lack of oil pressure so does this mean that a UK and JDM would equally be a victim to this or is there a reason a jdm might be more at risk? I am assuming not.

Would I correct in saying that if a JDM STI (Version 3/4 for example), mapped of correct fuel, that was well serviced and good history would be MORE reliable than an equally well serviced UK Turbo of the same year becasue the JDM has stronger internals or are there other reasons a JDM would let go more often(thats if I am correct in saying that them seem to)?

I know I maybe wrong in some assumptions above but it can be a bit confusing, wondering which is the better buy.
Thanks.
Old 13 October 2008, 12:51 AM
scoobjam74
Scooby Regular

i would put it down to a pure lack of maintanance and people not using good oil changing it when its broken down after caining the a%s off it before its warmed up

as for parts being stronger in the imports i thought they were identical apart from sti pistons and closed deck blocks the cranks are the same sti pistons are stronger rods the same blocke the same materials

so put it down to the octane thing on the imports people using wrong fuel and then mabe a let me just wack the boost up and get every ounce of power i can without a thought and wait for the bang

so i think they would all last longer if they where treated properly ,right parts for the right horsepower and no cutting corners to getting more power

since having mine at 122000 miles on the same engine i have now got mine to 150000 miles so 280000 miles ish with only a blown head gasket when i first bought it its still running at 257 bhp and its a uk spec my 96 not bad ehh
and i change the oil religiously every 3 thou no probs with the turbo and i cane it and its done a couple of track days

so there u go i cant kill mine off lol not that i would want to
Old 13 October 2008, 01:05 AM
Scoobydrive
Scooby Regular

Thanks for your reply, Wow that is some mileage on an original engine, well done. Are there any JDM's i wonder out there with this sort of mileage done on original engine?