Sponsored by:

Advice for first time owner

Search this Thread

Old 05 January 2020, 10:31 AM
Simon Greenwich
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Advice for first time owner

I am looking to buy my first Subaru. It is a 1996 UK model, but fitted with STI V2 engine and short ratio box from a STI V4.

According to my research, the STI V2 engine is stronger with a fully closed deck blocked, the owner has confirmed it is a closed deck block. Is there anyway of telling just by looking at the engine in the bay? In regards to gearbox, does anyone have experience driving on the motorway with a short ratio box, I heard it can rev a bit high in 5th gear at 70mph. I am planning to drive from London to Bournemouth, so just wanted to know.

Also, there is no proof of current engine milage, as the engine was swapped by the previous owner, the timing belt has been done by the current owner and the engine has been well looked after. Should I be concerned?

I have attached a link to the car, it is on ebay now, please give feedback and any advice on the car. Thanks in advance.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Subaru-Im...a2be%7Ciid%3A1

Last edited by Simon Greenwich; 05 January 2020 at 10:32 AM.
Old 05 January 2020, 11:23 AM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

Received 270 Likes on 234 Posts

check mot history , check for rust , it looks well cared for , the 6 speed sti jdm box can be bit high revvy on a motorway i thought the 5 speed maybe not as bad ?? , i don’t think and don’t know if you can tell a head difference on the car when heads are already bolted on , does it drive well do you like it , if rust and mot are good then enjoy , check receipts for what’s been done , once i look for rust and check basic stuff heart rules the rest on a buy
Old 05 January 2020, 12:02 PM
Simon Greenwich
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Vxr2010
check mot history , check for rust , it looks well cared for , the 6 speed sti jdm box can be bit high revvy on a motorway i thought the 5 speed maybe not as bad ?? , i don’t think and don’t know if you can tell a head difference on the car when heads are already bolted on , does it drive well do you like it , if rust and mot are good then enjoy , check receipts for what’s been done , once i look for rust and check basic stuff heart rules the rest on a buy
Last few MOT's does confirm the car was not driven much, I checked online ... but when the engine was swapped over previously, the current owner did not know the mileage. Haven't seen the car in person, it is over 350 miles away. Owner states there is no rust or rot, and it does look clean. Recent MOT, 11 months, no advisories. Just had all oils changed, and new back pads/discs. Timing belt was done few months backs, and water pump, the clutch is good, according to the owner.

The owner has plenty of receipts, I have seen videos of the car, sounds great, and looks clean. I am thinking of buying and having the car delivered, is this a bad idea? opinions? his means no test drive beforehand, I just cannot travel the 350miles return trip, making it 700 miles in one day.
Old 05 January 2020, 12:30 PM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

Received 270 Likes on 234 Posts

do a test drive , if it’s a good car it’s worth travelling for , my last round trip was 470 each way , saw the car it was horrendous bought another one whilst up there