SWISS STI
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default possible siezed engine

Hi all
hoping someone can give me some advice
a bit of history first as it may help,
i have owned my sti import for nearly 4 years now,
have had a rebuild 2 years ago from API with upgraded internals, run in the engine correctly as instructed by David, then i snapped a cam 6 months ago and replaced the heads like for like, again done by a reputable technician, i check oil, water, fluids every month as have spent over 10k on this engine in 2 years and very nervous LOL
on my way home from work Monday night (which is a 20 min journey) all was well as i went to turn into my road dipped clutch to change gear engine cut out so released clutch and all ok as i pulled onto my drive there was a squeaking coming from the engine (sounded a bit like when your brakes a binding) car stalled so tried to start,......... no joy sounds like starter motor is engaging but not turning the engine. opened bonnet to check for leaks, smoke, fluids, smells and noticed there is no oil on the dip stick, now i know what you must be thinking muppet let it run dry, now i checked this 3 weeks ago and all was fine, there has been no oil leak as checked my drive and my parking space at work, have put the car in gear and tried to rock it a little as to see if it will move, still no joy.

i realise that i'm no expert and all things sort of lead to this, i'm hoping someone can tell me i'm wrong if not is my engine scrap and not worth repairing.

i know it's a bit long winded and sorry for the eye pain
advice would be gratefully received
thanks
Swiss
Old 25 February 2010, 03:58 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Dude, asking us a question as fundamental as "is my engine scrap or not"? is impossible to answer accurately on the basis of the info provided.

From what you've said there are any number of potential explanations, some of which may indicate terminal damage, and some of which may be a quick and cheap fix.

In the absence of any further info (and, if you want accuracy, in any case), you the car looked at.
Old 25 February 2010, 04:19 PM
SWISS STI
Scooby Newbie

thanks for quick reply
i understand that a diagnosis is not accurate without a complete investigation,
i'm just trying to balance budget and timescale, if it is worse case senario would it be beneficial to rebuild what i've got or replace (which i know has no guarantee's either)
also is there a common denominator,
i love my car and would like it back LOL but need to be realistic about how much i put in, i never bought the car to make money i know that to own one you need deep pockets at times and balance that with the grin factor,
i was just gaining some feedback as to what could cause this and yes i know that is a very broad question, which is why it best to ask those that deal with these cars on a daily basis
thanks again
Swiss
Old 25 February 2010, 05:28 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SWISS STI
thanks for quick reply
i understand that a diagnosis is not accurate without a complete investigation,
You're going to need an investigation, or reasonably expert examination of some degree or other to get answers to the questions you're asking at the moment.

For example:

would it be beneficial to rebuild what i've got or replace
Absolutely no way to answer that without having at least a rough idea what's gone on. Simply putting a socket wrench on the front pulley nut and turning the engine over by hand will say a lot. As would taking off the intercooler and looking at the state of the induction tract. As would undoing one of the timing belt covers. If you can do that sort of thing yourself and relay the info back, all well and good, but without it, you need the assistance of someone who can. Period.

...which is why it best to ask those that deal with these cars on a daily basis
There's next to no value in any guesses made at this point - you need the car looked at in order for someone to make an informed diagnosis, and from there allow you to make some informed decisions.

Oh - edited to add. You say that it sounds like the starter is engaging but not turning the engine. Have you double checked this by looking at the front of the engine when trying to start it? If so, do you see the front pulleys turning when the starter is engaged or not?

Last edited by Splitpin; 25 February 2010 at 05:30 PM.
Old 25 February 2010, 05:40 PM
MY94BlueWRX
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

For there to be no oil showing on the dipstick, and for there to be no visible external leaks, this can only mean that you have been burning oil like crazy over the last 2-3 weeks (since checking).

Are you sure you havn't seen anything coming out of the back (bluish smoke) of smelt anything...? as that's a lot of oil to go through.

As Splitpin says, it could be a number of things that have caused it... but the fact that there is no oil showing, it was squeaking/noisey before it stopped and it won't start or even rock back and forth, would suggest to me that it has a serious problem.

Do the obvious first, try jumping it of another car to rule out the battery, although you should know straight away if the battery/alternator has died, as when you try to crank it the ignition will make a long clicking noise and your clock will reset.

You should be able to move the pistons/crank etc by hand via the crank pulley, if not the one if not more pistons could be siezed, which does mean a rebuild unfortunately...

Splitpin replied whilst I was typing, so appologies for the duplication.

Last edited by MY94BlueWRX; 25 February 2010 at 05:44 PM. Reason: added info...
Old 25 February 2010, 06:01 PM
SWISS STI
Scooby Newbie

hi, have tried to turn the pulley by hand with a 22mm socket,turning but very stiff,also removed cam belt cover on passenger side,and is turning when turning car on but only tried a couple of times as don't want to cause more damage.not able to remove intercooler yet.
Old 26 February 2010, 12:10 PM
SWISS STI
Scooby Newbie

Managed to get engine started for a few seconds after doing some of the things Splitpin suggested.... thankyou for your patience,

asked my neighbour (who builds and races F1 cars)to listen as i turned car over for a few seconds he has suggested big end failure.

not as bad as i thought thank god always seem to think the worse now due to historical problems, after engine rebuild was done with forged internals this was the only area i didn't upgrade, my own downfall i suppose, live and learn, so now looking at new crank and so on, while the engine is out might as well ensure i don't need it out again and check for upgrades i.e. oil pump and such

thanks again for your help and patience with a novice