Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

Newbie - please help!

Search this Thread

Old 04 January 2020, 10:34 PM
Simon Greenwich
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Newbie - please help!

I am looking to buy my first Subaru. It is a 1996 UK model, but fitted with STI V2 engine and short ratio box from a STI V4.

According to my research, the STI V2 engine is stronger with a fully closed deck blocked, the owner has confirmed it is a closed deck block. Is there anyway of telling just by looking at the engine in the bay? In regards to gearbox, does anyone have experience driving on the motorway with a short ratio box, I heard it can rev a bit high in 5th gear at 70mph. I am planning to drive from London to Bournemouth, so just wanted to know.

Also, there is no proof of current engine milage, as the engine was swapped by the previous owner, the timing belt has been done by the current owner and the engine has been well looked after.

Lastly, the engine has a TD05 Turbo and a 16G STI Ecu ... can someone explain to me what the 16G stands for? I have attached a link to the car, it is on ebay now, please give feedback and any advice on the car. Thanks in advance.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Subaru-Im...bb88%7Ciid%3A1

Old 04 January 2020, 11:07 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 495 Likes on 339 Posts

The 16g refers to the turbo NOT the ecu.
they are not hawkeye sti seats.
To tell if it's a closed deck block there should be a hatched marking somewhere on the block but I cannot remember where, somebody on here will know.
Ditch that crappy mushroom air filter and newage bonnet scoop for a start.
I had a close ratio 5 speed and I didnt find it bad on the motorway at all.
Old 04 January 2020, 11:22 PM
Simon Greenwich
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by the shreksta
The 16g refers to the turbo NOT the ecu.
they are not hawkeye sti seats.
To tell if it's a closed deck block there should be a hatched marking somewhere on the block but I cannot remember where, somebody on here will know.
Ditch that crappy mushroom air filter and newage bonnet scoop for a start.
I had a close ratio 5 speed and I didnt find it bad on the motorway at all.
thanks for feedback. I was close to buying a V2 lightweight import, it was silver, but bodywork was bad, scuffs all over.

Thought the 16g had something to do with ECU ... what is the 16g all about, power, boost?
Old 04 January 2020, 11:33 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 495 Likes on 339 Posts

Originally Posted by Simon Greenwich
thanks for feedback. I was close to buying a V2 lightweight import, it was silver, but bodywork was bad, scuffs all over.

Thought the 16g had something to do with ECU ... what is the 16g all about, power, boost?
The g refers to the blades on the compressor wheel I believe, it a Mitsubishi turbo and that's the identification process they use................I think. Might be more to it than that though.