Sponsored by:

ENGINE REPLACEMENT ADVICE! ... Please

Search this Thread

Old 20 October 2012, 12:02 PM
marc lee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ENGINE REPLACEMENT ADVICE! ... Please

Hey guys, i have a 53 plate bulb eye Wrx turbo, had an overheating issue about a month ago that led to a new rad and hoses, TDIs ran a hydrocarbon test and told me it had detonation issues with all four pistons, possibly due to the overheated gasses ( i have the print out ) ... They couldn't tell me the exact cause and problem without dropping the engine and taking the heads off, so advised me either to sell it, or get a new engine as the car is literally on death row. they said to drive it like a granny at half throttle till i decide, ..... Now I love my car, iv poured some money into it over the last 4 years, and im not going to let this issue kill my beloved! ..... Now I'd like some advice on what to look for in a replacement engine, how to tell if its in good shape and low-ish miles, roughly how much is it gonna cost? Roughly how much is it going to cost for somebody to fit the engine and have it running nicely? ... And lastly, where can i look to get a decent engine?? Haha! ... Please help guys it's really getting me down! ... Thanks
Old 20 October 2012, 12:35 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

hang on, TDI told you to *sell the car*????
Old 20 October 2012, 01:05 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Detonation issues from a hydrocarbon test ? .............det is detected by the sound it makes or by the damage it causes when you strip the engine. Or am I missing something?

Shaun
Old 20 October 2012, 02:26 PM
wrx fifer
Scooby Regular

buying a new engine can be a dodgy game, as unless buying it from a very trusted person or company, you have no idea what your getting without splitting it down, which defeats the purpose in the first place, my advice would be to go to a very reputable engine builder local to you and get them to advise on rebuilding your own engine.

grant
Old 20 October 2012, 02:30 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

you could take a chance on an engine off ebay or a breaker here - not all of them are going to be lemons.

Not sure what the going rate is for a wrx engine nowadays, but i'd be surprised if you had to pay any more than 6-700 quid for one.

Removing and refitting an engine is probably about a days worth of work for a mechanic - not sure what the going day rate is.
Old 20 October 2012, 03:36 PM
Andy@Scoobyspares
SUBARU DISMANTLER

Location: Dismantling and recycling end of life Subarus the CORRECT and environmentally friendly way

We have a few options engine wise,

If you need any help don't hesitate to get in touch

Regards, Andy
Old 20 October 2012, 04:33 PM
marc lee
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys appreciate the advice! ... Iv spoken to a few work friends who have a little scoob knowledge, think i would opt for a re-conditioned engine from a trusted firm, or check how much mine would cost to fix, as you say it's a chance i take finding from eBay or a breakers! ... Iv got a pack mule car to get me around so i can scan the world for prices etc, ... This way i get a 6-12 months guarantee maybe and peace of mind by having a virtually new engine yay! ... ... As for the hydrocarbon test, at first i thought it was the head gasket, with all the overheating and stuff. They checked the car, new rad, and road testers it to find det on high throttle! ... maybe the hydrocarbon was to check the head gasket maybe???? But thanks for the help guys iv got a few months to dwell on it, and maybe even get a higher power lump in it if i could? Hahahaha! Just an excuse for more power! .... ( oh and TDI was giving me the best money related options, as it would cost me tons of cash for them to fix ) ... They're not bad guys, just expensive lol! ... ...

Trending Topics

Old 20 October 2012, 08:36 PM
TheVoices
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Be careful where you buy a 'reconditioned' engine, there are plenty of dodgy companies that seem legit at first !
Old 20 October 2012, 08:46 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you've got a run around already, save for a rebuild. False economy to buy an engine of unknown quality. And don't take it to TDI, if it's been detting, then they've road tested it at high revs and it's still detting they've possibly caused more damage.

Get it rebuilt with forged pistons, steel rods etc.
Old 20 October 2012, 08:58 PM
djwa
Scooby Regular

I have spoke to a guy off ebay on the phone about a rebuilt engine seems like a genuine guy check this out give him a phone call http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Subaru-imp...item3f1d8a4c89
Old 21 October 2012, 10:35 AM
DannyBoy007
Scooby Regular

You need to find the reason it's detting. No point getting a new engine without solving this first.

Most so called recon's off ebay are simply used eninges out of scrapers, cleaned up and painted. It wouldn't surprise me if the insides hadn't seen the day of light since being built in the factory. It's a numbers gain.

Either buy a used engine from a breakers off here: Scoobyspares, polepostion etc (cheaper option but still no idea how long the engine has left) or get it rebuilt, again by someone recommended off here. I would always say bite the bullet and get it done properly.
Old 21 October 2012, 10:55 AM
djwa
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DannyBoy007
You need to find the reason it's detting. No point getting a new engine without solving this first.

Most so called recon's off ebay are simply used eninges out of scrapers, cleaned up and painted. It wouldn't surprise me if the insides hadn't seen the day of light since being built in the factory. It's a numbers gain.

Either buy a used engine from a breakers off here: Scoobyspares, polepostion etc (cheaper option but still no idea how long the engine has left) or get it rebuilt, again by someone recommended off here. I would always say bite the bullet and get it done properly.
Obviously he needs to find out why it is detting in the first place Not starting no argument but my old boss used to own an engine machining shop in deal in kent called costal engine services before he sold up i used to work there for a few years i have spoken to the guy in question off ebay in depth he certainly knows what he is talking about with regards to building engines i am aware most ebay stuff is Sh**e