Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Back in a Subaru after 5 years......

Search this Thread

Old 01 January 2020, 07:10 PM
WRX2K1
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back in a Subaru after 5 years......

Hi, thought I would use this a "introduce myself" thread, after selling my classic back in 2014 and sticking with the Germans I purchased a 2001 wrx that had been messed with a little but for a price I could not say no to.

It's a 2001 wrx bugeye which has been face lifted to the blob with some sti bits inc:

STI fog cover / winglets
blob STI full interior
STI steering wheel
STI Bonnet Scoop / undertray
STI clusters

Has receipts for both heads skims, 1.5mm head gaskets and dayco timing belt kit from RCM.

Mods when I bought it:

decat up pipe
decat down pipe(short)
A hacked up centre and cat with a HKS back box
3 port solenoid

So it was advertised with a misfire which would normally would put me off as it may be a coil but could be the head gasket ect but I could of broke it for more.

So it made the 140 mile trip home actually hassle free apart from 1. the slight misfire 2. it was over boosting 3. exhaust was blowing so I took it easy the rest of the way, temps were perfect and no funny noises.

To cut a long story short the exhaust had been "f*cked with and leaking so I replaced top and bottom up pipe gaskets, both manifold gaskets and both cross over pipe gaskets with genuine Subaru gaskets and in turn this was the cause if the random misfire whic was no cured no more eml.

The over boost was sorted by fitting the factory 2 port solenoid and installing the original pill.

As this is a project I only used it occasionally as I have further plans, but I developed a water leak from the metal pipe that runs from the water pump behind the cam belt case so ordered a genuine one and thought this would be a good time to fit a TD05 16g and 3" turbo back system.

So since owning I have done the following:

Fresh 12 months mot and it went straight through.
TD05 converted to front entry
3" japspeed turbo back exhaust
New water pipe(manifold off)
New vacuum pipes
dark blue injectors from a hawk( Use Vaseline!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) have set the flow and latency in romraider for now.
short shifter and sti ****
17" wrx gold alloys (the 18"invoit rays that were on it need tires and are white)
tein springs ready to go on

To do next:

The intake boot is split so will be going silicone, have seen them for £50 on ebay but not sure if they are up to the job.
Although it supposedly has a 255 walbro I will fit a new one.
decide wether to keep the ramar confilter or fit the standard airbox I picked up.
Get it mapped, Steve Simpson seems to be the closest option for me( N.Wales) would like carberry from Andrew Carr but not sure on the distance.

Although my daily is a 640d when it comes to just driving for the fun the wrx wins every time and can't wait for it to be done if that actually exists.

​​​​​​​
Old 02 January 2020, 06:23 PM
albob
Scooby Regular

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

Nice work