Notices

Alarm problems - advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 03 June 2014, 07:45 PM
FirebirdUK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alarm problems - advice needed

(Posted this in technical / electrical, then found a security section here...)

Apologies in advance - bit of a long tale... I have done lots of googleing but not read anything to convince me one way or the other as to what I should do...

I've got an MY03 WRX Wagon (picked it up a few years ago, and touch wood has been trouble free).

Just before Xmas, I started noticing that the key fob wouldn't always arm/disarm the car. Often I'd have to get into the car, turn the key a few times on/off and eventually the alarm would go off and I'd be ok. There would be times when I'd crank the car and the alarm would sound, but thought nothing of it.

Bought a new battery for the fob, but this didn't make any difference - was still random when the car would lock/unlock.

I tried the pin code on the security panel, but this didn't work either - the alarm would still sound and the car wouldn't start.

After a nights frost, the car wouldn't start. So, thinking the battery was probably getting on a bit, bought a new one and my problems seemed to go away - the alarm worked again and all was well with the car.

About a month ago, without warning, as I stopped the car, the alarm went off and wouldn't stop. Pressing the key fob would do nothing. Tried the old turning the key thing, but that didn't work either. Unless I disconnect the main battery on the car, the alarm keeps going off. Tested the battery again (even charged it overnight), and this hasn't cured the car this time.

I can't find the pin for the car now, but guessing that as it didn't work before it probably wouldn't know.

Does this sound like a problem with the alarm itself?

I've been speaking to a mobile alarm fitter, and they can fit a new alarm (taking out the old one) but they've said if the problem was with the key/transponder they wouldn't be able to do anything about that.

Obviously I don't want to have a new alarm system fitted if that's not the cause of the problem.

Just after some reassurance that it's the alarm that's likely to be at fault, or if I'd be better off taking it to auto-electrician (or even a main dealer)

Thanks for reading
Old 03 June 2014, 07:58 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Presumably you have another key? i'd try using that as it may well be that there is a problem with the circuit board.

Failing that there is a reprogram procedure for the pin code alarm pad.
Old 03 June 2014, 08:13 PM
FirebirdUK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Only got the one key

Is there a charge for Subaru giving you the pin for the alarm? Read that you need to take the alarm serial number with you, lol, don't even know where to find that...

If there was a problem with PCB on the key, would that stop the turning the key on/off three times trick from working?

Last edited by FirebirdUK; 03 June 2014 at 08:15 PM. Reason: Thought of something else...