ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Muppet question I’m sure!

Search this Thread

Old 13 September 2019, 02:27 PM
R666ORY+1
Scooby Regular

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Muppet question I’m sure!

In relation to Cars being broken whilst SORN or still taxed. At what point do they stop being considered a physical vehicle? For example the figures of how many Bugeye Prodrive cars on “how many left” hasn’t changed (from memory) in the last 18 months. But numerous have been broken and advertised as such on here. Pretty sure scrapped cars are supposed to be reported as such to the DVLA.

As I said I’m sure it’s a muppet question but can anyone shed any light on this for me please?
Old 13 September 2019, 02:44 PM
LewisScoob
Scooby Regular

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

I wouldnt believe that "how many left" sites..

Also, depends on whos doing the scrapping. If its a trader then on the V5 it can be transferred to the motor trade. Or scrapped obviously.
Old 13 September 2019, 05:55 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

the scrapping vs DVLA thing is interesting.. AFAIK to scrap a vehicle nowadays you need to be a licensed dismantler, so not sure how someone breaking the car at home will go about this. I suppose if you bring the shell to the scrappers you might get away with it, but I think if you just say weigh it in at the normal scrappies, you might end up with problems with the DVLA.

Last time I broke a car for parts someone just came to pick the shell up (this is back in 2008-2009, mind), and I think I just sent the V5 form off to the DVLA after having ticket the "vehicle has been scrapped" tickbox.

Does anyone know for sure?
Old 13 September 2019, 07:51 PM
R666ORY+1
Scooby Regular

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

F#ck! Wrote a reply then binned it by accident. LewisScoob, completely agree hence the question. If you scrap a vehicle at a “ATF” (scrappers/breakers) you (as the seller/current owner) should be informing the DVLA it has gone to “trade”. But if you “sell” it to them rather than as a “trade” via your V5 it circumnavigates the need to tell the DVLA. Think we probably all know that DVLA strategies are flawed in many respects. This is the reason I asked, “how many left” is pish. There is a breaker on here who has broke/is in the process of breaking 2/3 Prodrive Bugs as we speak. There are others elsewhere not on this site. I’ve counted 10 in the last 9 months being broken yet the figures on “how many left” have not shifted. A different thread I am sure, but I wonder how many truly still exist???
Old 15 September 2019, 05:48 PM
Hustlersalvage
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How many’s left
im on another forum for another make and model of car.
We worked out there was more members cars then what the website claimed were left.

Scrapping them, the yard they eventually end up at will declare them scrap even if they don’t have a logbook they will grab vin number when decontaminating it. That is then put against the recipt for what they’ve paid and filed as well (5 years)

shells (missing engine) are different as they aren’t classed as a vehicle simply scrap metal, It won’t go through same process of decontamination and good chance will stay as a car until or if some one updates logbook.

Scrap yards are heavily checked now adays mainly due to theft and money laundering (reason it’s illegal to pay cash for scrap) so theoretically it should all start getting more precise