Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some Dutch ****** has just ruined my life!!

Search this Thread

Old 21 May 2001, 01:08 PM
IanWatson
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Aaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrgggggghhhhhhhhhh!!
Left my car (DBM MY99) parked outside my flat in A'dam last night - this morning it has a bumper scrape from half down the front door, all the way down the rear door, and into the rear wheel arch. It's about half an inch deep and an inch and a half wide. No paint damage (black rubber marks) but the metal is very creased. Reckon new door skins and maybe even a rear wing are needed.

Any ideas what this may cost me (UK price) as I don't fancy losing my 5 years NCB.....

[This message has been edited by IanWatson (edited 21 May 2001).]
Old 21 May 2001, 02:13 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy

Sorry about that got a scrape on my bumper now as some to55er clipped it and drove off 75 quid to respray it and blend it in, down to the black so not happy

Tony
Old 21 May 2001, 02:17 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Ian,
I know the feeling (see
Old 21 May 2001, 02:46 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry

Hi Ian,

Bad luck m8. I had a similar experience but to make matters worse it was my dad that did the damage.

It was just my front door, but like Markus I had a completely new door fitted. The skins are cheaper, but they are much more labour intensive and you can't guarantee that there will be no rust problems where they've welded the door skin.

Although mine was through my dad's insurance, my dealer did the whole job for about £400. That included a new door, respray and blend into rear door & front wing, new RB5 decals on the front wing and the labour.

For the job with a skin, I was quoted £200 more.

You could try someone like Grade-A Subaru for some 2-hand doors to save the pennies. I think my new door was about £200+VAT. The skin was £170+VAT give or take.

I'm afraid to ask, but do you not have protected NCD?

Stefan
Old 21 May 2001, 02:47 PM
IanWatson
Scooby Regular

Markus - that looks pretty nasty! How much is the repair going to set you back?

The damage to mine is not as widespread, but same sort of length.

So - two new doors, new wing plus respray - anyone reckon I'll see any change from a grand (UKP)? (gulp...)
Old 21 May 2001, 03:27 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Ian,
not too sure, getting my mechanic to sort it and he's giving me a quote later this week. Did get estimate from body shop and labour alone was 780 quid, ex vat and about 25 - 40 percent of that is for cut and weld of skins, which won't be happening as I'll have new (well used actually) doors, so it'll be a case of prep, hang, and spray, so no associated rust probs with the welding, plus I'd not be too sure on the saftey aspect of re-weled skins vs new doors.

Think I'm looking at around 1500 - 2000 quid all in, but it'll be a top job, so worth it.

if it was not for the fact that I want to keep my NCB I'd do it through the insurance company, but it's not worth it as the renewal would be really nasty.
Old 21 May 2001, 04:11 PM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

Smile

A quick point about NCB - you will probably not lose all 5 yrs. There seems to be a points system used by the insurance companies - eg one non-fault claim = lose 2 yrs NCB. Its worth checking as I was quite suprised to be left with some NCB in tact after an accident. If you are only losing 2 yrs ie 20 % of your premium for 2 yrs it is probably cheaper to get an insurance job on the repairs.
Old 21 May 2001, 04:31 PM
IanWatson
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys - I'm taking it to the (non-scooby) dealership I bought it from tomorrow - the owner is a real Scoob enthusiast and has suggested I get a quote from his local bodyshop who do all the work on his cars. Saw a job they'd done on an EVO 5 - before and after pics etc - very tidy and chepaer than Amsterdam.

I'll double check my insurance policy (which is in Dutch) when I know the costs!!
Old 21 May 2001, 09:20 PM
Col
Scooby Regular

Smile

Ian,
I was in Amsterdam 2 weeks ago and never saw 1 subaru,never mind a turbo. Driving over there didnt look too easy in the city centre either,trams,bikes,tourists! I spent most of the weekend trying to dodge the lot of them, saying that my attention was wandering looking at all the ladies in the windows!!

Colin
Old 21 May 2001, 10:28 PM
jah
Scooby Regular

Ian,

If your insurance works the same way as mine, you will likely end up losing about 3 years worth of no-claims. It does not go straight according to years but depends on which bonus level ("B/M-trede" in Dutch) you are when you make a claim.

You may want to check with your insurance rep what exactly would happen in your case. Sometimes the rules are not so black and white, especially in cases like this when it really is not your fault and the damage should be paid by the other drivers' insurance, if you only knew who to blame...
Old 22 May 2001, 12:51 AM
IanWatson
Scooby Regular

" Ian,
I was in Amsterdam 2 weeks ago and never saw 1 subaru,never mind a turbo. Driving over there didnt look too easy in the city centre either,trams,bikes,tourists! I spent most of the weekend trying to dodge the lot of them, saying that my attention was wandering looking at all the ladies in the windows!! "

Yeah Col - not many Scoobs about, seen about 4 or 5 around, city is chock full of turbo diesels..
Very rarely have people trying to race me from lights, seem to get a lot of respect, even from taxi drivers.
Despite that I'm thinking of starting a thread "Is this the worst place in Europe to own a Scooby?"...

Ten times more speed cameras than the UK with no white calibration lines (100 kph limit on most of the motorways - RIGIDLY enforced) . Suicidal yet legally untouchable cyclists, shockingly potholed roads in the city, and no real 'country' roads, as most of the country has been recently dragged up from the sea..

Having said that - great people once I got out of the tourist areas and started trying to speak Dutch, and of course the coffeeshops help...
Old 22 May 2001, 10:26 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Ian,
I had a similar injury a few months ago. Two doors and rear quarter panel all creased. Cost 800 quid for new skins, repair QP and respray entire side of car. I don't care about the rust, as someone stole the car about a week later
Old 22 May 2001, 04:11 PM
jah
Scooby Regular

Ian,

You must be in the wrong city... Here in Rotterdam and surroundings I see scoobies, mostly turbos all the time. Maybe the dealers around here have succeeded better.
And I hate driving in Amsterdam as well. Just too damn small streets and too much pedestrians and cyclists (which behave suicidally as you pointed out).

Agree on the bit about speed cameras and ridiculously strict enforcement, friend got a ticket for doing 53 in 50 zone. I know many people already think that the cameras are just a money making scheme and have little to do with road safety.
Old 22 May 2001, 07:02 PM
Nico van Steen
Scooby Regular

Ian,

You DO know that there is a Scooby meeting in Waalwijk this Saterday. It's rumoured to feature Pete Croney and Mike Underwood as well.

Amsterdam is the one place I never take my car to. Either it get's scratched or it gets nicked.

Nico van Steen
BTW How do you know it was a dutch driver with so many foreigner living in A'dam?

[This message has been edited by Nico van Steen (edited 22 May 2001).]
Old 23 May 2001, 08:19 AM
IanWatson
Scooby Regular

Nico - fair comment!
Post in haste, repent at leisure...
Big apologies to any Dutch members - unfair assumption.
Also to say I love living here, just find the 'Dam a bit frustrating as a car owner, but can't say I wasn't warned
The meet sounds great, but unfortunatly the car is with the bodyshop 'til next week.
Apparently only needs one door replacing, front door and wing can be beaten out. Feel alot better!