Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P1 & Broquet - Old subject - New news

Search this Thread

Old 21 May 2001, 08:54 PM
z80
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I decided to purchase some Broquet from David Lock - two of the 8 gauze pellets & to install them in my P1. David informed me beforehand that it was likely I'd find Broquet in the tank but I went ahead and ordered some anyway. I was therefore aware from the outset this stuff may already be in the P1. On Sunday I fitted them whilst the car was outside on the drive in the warm sunshine.

I carefully followed David's instructions he supplied with the two gauzes and I made sure I viewed the web site address photo's, the address of which he included with the two gauzes and other blurb.

After undoing the fuel filler cap to let out the pressure from the fuel tank, the procedure involves removing the covers from two fuel wells in the rear of the car. There's an oblong shaped one on the right & a round one on the left (bit technical this isn't it) after carefully removing the upper covers you are presented with two more that are securely held by a number of 8mm nuts. These are removed with 8mm socket driver.

I undid the right cover first and lifted the right most part of the cover to see if I could peer down into the tank. It's a little awkward to do the job as you have to lean right in to the boot area. I ended up more or less completely in the boot with just my legs hanging over the boot sill. Mad or what ?

Using a small Maglite I tried to peer into the right hole but I could only see a very small area of fuel tank. I carefully dropped in of the two Broquet gauzes containing the 8 pellets into the hole & watched the bubbles momentarily appear on the surface of the fuel. The torch beam showed the Broquet had landed successfully. The right covers were re-secured.

The left cover was easier to lift and the Maglite was used to see in to the tank. There it was - a Broquet Gauze - already there (no, not the same one I'd just dropped in the right side) glimmering unmistakably in the torch beam. I dropped the other gauze in and re-secured the left covers.

I think this tends to suggest that P1's have Broquet fitted and ends the argument as whether or not prodrive fitted them.

My P1 now has two lots of Broquet fitted but after reading some further material David sent me regarding tests and trials in Malaysia, too much Broquet doesn't do any harm. The fact that Prodrive have fitted it as standard may indicate they regard its attributes as positive.

My car is shown as number 485 on the plaque under the bonnet. I have no commercial interest in Broquet or David lock & Associates & there's no kick back to me for disclosing this information. I was pleased with the help David gave me over the phone & internet. Thanks chum, you should have fewer doubters now. Who can question Prodrive ?

It's too early to report any gains or otherwise regarding fuel consumption but I'll revert soonest on this (assuming anyone is actually interested that is).

Regards,

Simon
Old 21 May 2001, 09:03 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

So basically what you're saying is that you've just wasted £100!!!!
Well done.

Stef.
Old 21 May 2001, 09:29 PM
bob
Scooby Regular

My dealer tells me they often find the packets the broquets come in under the boot carpet. Now who puts the broquets in the tank?
Old 21 May 2001, 10:18 PM
z80
Scooby Regular

Bob, Stef, Maybe you're right.

Still, now I know they're there for a purpose, the news of use of the stuff in Malaysia - lots of it,that is - makes more sense.

rgds

Simon
Old 21 May 2001, 10:28 PM
Neil Barnes
Scooby Regular

Where is the number plaque under the bonnet
Mine seems not to have one
I though that prodrive did not number them

Neil
Old 22 May 2001, 06:46 AM
z80
Scooby Regular

Dave Mackey, Neil,

Well, I think it's the number.. Under the bonnet, it's on the nearside front next to the fuse box - on the aluminium stamp with the weights.

Rgds,

Simon
Old 22 May 2001, 09:13 AM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

Stef,
I think your sums are wrong.
Its £100 wasted for the second batch of pellets and £300 (Subaru charge on the RRP of P1) for the first set
Old 22 May 2001, 11:14 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

z80,
thanks for being the first, and hopfully not the last, P1 owner to actually open up the tanks and take a look and verify that broquet is actually in there.

What I'd like is for a few other P1 owners to do this as well.

We'd then have conclusive proof, regardless of WHO fits them, that broquet IS fitted to the P1.

Obviously this won't stop the 'it does work/it don't work' debate but if it's in P1's then why would, whoever fits it, put it in there if it did 'nothing'?
Old 22 May 2001, 12:42 PM
Dave Mackey
Scooby Regular

Z80,

Also interested in this number plate under the bonnet again didn't think P1's where numbered. Will check mine tomorrow.

Dave
Old 22 May 2001, 01:08 PM
Rick Dyer
Scooby Newbie

What's that I hear? Some more people to join the growing list of the 'Broquet Converted'

Remember to raise your hands in the air, wave them aroung gospel style and sing 'Broquet, Broquet, Broquetee Love'

Every STi should have one.
Old 22 May 2001, 05:56 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Talking

My STi has four x four pellet broquets - isn't that right, you have to do it that way because it is a 4X4 drivetrain

R
Old 22 May 2001, 10:14 PM
andrew h
Scooby Regular

Z80 if it is the P1production number we have all been conned cos mine is number 1017! ANDY