Don't Ship Parts with Parcelforce

Search this Thread

Old 20 August 2018, 04:13 PM
Robbie010
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Don't Ship Parts with Parcelforce

Hi All,

Just a quick word of warning if selling any car parts etc.

I sold an Afterburner Vortex back box last week that was shipped to the Netherlands. Upon arrival the buyer sent an email and some images showing that the end had been crushed and was now an oval shape.

I apologised and refunded him then opened a claim with parcel monkey but have been outright refused any compensation as parcelforce do not cover any car parts with there compensation scheme.

I am now £90 out of pocket and will have to pay to have the item shipped back to me if I want to try and re-sell it as spares and repairs.

Lesson learned!
Old 20 August 2018, 04:57 PM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

Received 131 Likes on 101 Posts

Wounded!
Sorry to hear

did you put it in a box well packaged?

hats off to you for refunding this is why I always say collection only unless bank transfer..
Old 20 August 2018, 05:14 PM
Robbie010
Scooby Regular

The thing was wrapped in £15 worth of bubble wrap and taped up like a mummy! I also protected the tip with an old plastic bowl as a cowl to stop it getting damaged but it must of had something heavy land on it.

Its not the buyers fault so I can't withhold his money in good conscience.

The annoying thing is that I listed the item as collection only and guy still bid on it and asked me to get a shipping cost. I should have just said no.

Never mind!
Old 20 August 2018, 06:31 PM
Hawkeye D
Scooby Regular

Received 136 Likes on 103 Posts

Fair play for being decent about it. One day someone will look after you...what goes around comes around
Old 20 August 2018, 06:40 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

Devils advocate. Did he show you the packaging? Could he have swapped it ?
Old 20 August 2018, 06:56 PM
edsel
Scooby Regular

I recently sold a exhaust system via eBay to a Guy in Holland. I told him to use eBays international buyer system so the shipping and costs was on him. Like yourself I wrapped it bubble, cardboard and extra wrapped all leading edges and posted it to the ebay depot in the midlands. Thankfully no damage. In the event of damage in transit I would have told the buyer to contact the eBay delivery co.
Thanks for info, I didn't know car parts weren't covered by Royal Snail
Old 20 August 2018, 08:16 PM
jazzyjembreaze
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like he swapped it out if it was packaged that well
something like that you could have scratched a letter or number on the weld or inside flange / basically I’m not doubting you , but people try it on all the time , & if it were that bad the packaging would have been compromised. The buyer for one should have then rejected the item , & upon its return the carrier ( by law would have no grounds to stand on in a court of law for damages if ( you stated & payed the correct postage & cost of item ) however if you shipped it cheap & said it was a tin of beans then I’m afraid it’s your loss & mistake to incur
Old 20 August 2018, 08:35 PM
Robbie010
Scooby Regular

I think the guy was genuine, the item was well packaged and was listed as an exhaust on the shipping note. He also sent me some images of the damage. The main point of the thread was just to warn other that Parcelforce have a caveat in their terms and conditions excluding any and all car parts from compensation claims.
Old 20 August 2018, 08:46 PM
jazzyjembreaze
Scooby Regular

Not sure that would stand up in. A courtroom
if you’ve payed for services
explained before what they are
then it’s there responsibility to explain to you before contract
“ hey if we **** it up your not covered “
but we will take your money anyway !!!
world don’t work like that m8 , unless you stand back & take it ?
Old 20 August 2018, 09:29 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Robbie010
I think the guy was genuine, the item was well packaged and was listed as an exhaust on the shipping note. He also sent me some images of the damage. The main point of the thread was just to warn other that Parcelforce have a caveat in their terms and conditions excluding any and all car parts from compensation claims.
This is the case with most couriers and postal companies. One search on here will be all it takes.
Caveat Emptor.
Old 20 August 2018, 09:33 PM
Robbie010
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815
This is the case with most couriers and postal companies. One search on here will be all it takes.
Caveat Emptor.
Yes, agreed.

I ticked a box saying that I had read the terms and conditions etc etc blah blah and like 99 out of 100 people I hadn’t.

Case closed.
Old 20 August 2018, 10:20 PM
funkyrimpler
Scooby Regular

I got fekked over by their compensation scheme..They destroyed a mac computer i shipped. It arrived at the destination smashed to bits...It looked like it had been thrown to the floor over and over..Anyway, after months and repeated emails and phone calls, all of the photos i sent and the form i filled in all mysteriously went missing.
Old 21 August 2018, 08:37 AM
AT@JDM
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Found this out a few months ago. Although I still use parcelforce, as it's so far been the cheapest for large car parts and nothing has been damaged to date. Although you say it was done through parceltogo. Which I don't remember seeing anything on there terms about not insuring car parts.
Old 21 August 2018, 08:45 AM
sparrowdclxvi
Scooby Regular

I will never use ParcelFarce.
A friend shipped two boxes, one with a wheel with with caliper in to get some custom brackets made up. PF lost it!

Eventually the missing one also turned up, However, the wheel was bent. Yes, they bent a wheel.
Old 21 August 2018, 09:07 AM
scooby kid
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I had a stainless centre section from miltek sent out through parcel force ,
a fork lift had run it over it was as flat as a pancake , packaging destroyed, labels all torn and they still sent it to me, it was completely crushed with the fork lift tyre print, miltek replaced one next day but not the point they didn't even stop and return it to them just carried on like it was totally fine
Old 21 August 2018, 06:26 PM
Robbie010
Scooby Regular

Yes, lesson learned.

No compensation for the damage, they have refused to collect and return the damaged item to me and parcelmonkey have refused to refund me the shipping cost.

I have told the buyer to scrap it ir sell it on and donate any money he gets to charity.
Old 21 August 2018, 06:55 PM
scotty75
Scooby Regular

Interesting as ive used parcelforce all the time for sending car parts in the uk and overseas and they have always been insured upto the value of £500 depending on parts sent .
Old 23 August 2018, 11:56 AM
hackisfun
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Robbie010
Yes, lesson learned.

No compensation for the damage, they have refused to collect and return the damaged item to me and parcelmonkey have refused to refund me the shipping cost.

I have told the buyer to scrap it ir sell it on and donate any money he gets to charity.
In all honesty, you didn't want to ship in the first place. You should have told the buyer that you will accept no responsibility for damage then you wouldn't have been out of pocket. Next time, tell the buyer to arrange courier collection then there are taking full ownership of the shipping
Old 23 August 2018, 12:03 PM
RockyRoad
Scooby Regular

Received 123 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by hackisfun
In all honesty, you didn't want to ship in the first place. You should have told the buyer that you will accept no responsibility for damage then you wouldn't have been out of pocket. Next time, tell the buyer to arrange courier collection then there are taking full ownership of the shipping
The problem with doing it that way is that the buyer then also has full control over the shipping details and proof. If they don't hand over the shipping details they can claim the item never arrived and claim their money back. It's a fairly common scam.
Old 23 August 2018, 12:09 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Many years ago, I sent a hayward & scott back box from N.Ireland to Scotland via Parcelforce with zero problems.
It was well packaged in a box with bubble wrap and those polystyrene fragments, I stuck a few handle with care stickers on it too
Old 23 August 2018, 04:19 PM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RockyRoad
The problem with doing it that way is that the buyer then also has full control over the shipping details and proof. If they don't hand over the shipping details they can claim the item never arrived and claim their money back. It's a fairly common scam.
this is why I only accept bank transfer PayPal sent as gift or my favourite cash on collection
Old 23 August 2018, 07:42 PM
RockyRoad
Scooby Regular

Received 123 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by ZANY

this is why I only accept bank transfer PayPal sent as gift or my favourite cash on collection
Believe it or not, you can still get screwed over receiving Gift payments. The “buyer” sends you the payment then after receiving the item will tell PayPal it was a fraudulent payment that they didn’t make. Because the payment is a gift and not for goods or services, PayPal will usually give the “buyer” their money back. At least if you receive the payment as for goods or services and you can prove you’ve delivered the item to the buyers confirmed address (never send to any address other than the confirmed address on the payment, yet another possible scam), PayPal will usually tell the buyer tough luck.
Old 23 August 2018, 09:47 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

Nope if eBay see's they have arranged courier then it will be them that needs to provide proof. Plus courier normally gives you receipt on collection.

My mum sold a sewing machine on eBay. Buyer asked to arrange a courier. Sewing machine got smashed up in post. eBay sided with my mum. As woman had sent a message asking to arrange a courier.

Old 23 August 2018, 10:00 PM
AT@JDM
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've sent multiple things through parcelforce and never had a problem. To be fair people have sent me some poorly wrapped items and no damage at all. Last 2 things I bought was a load of dash parts boxed with no protective packing at all. Just squashed together in a box that was wrapped around them. And other was a stainless steel exhaust wrapped in a bin liner no damage at all. I expected bad damage on both.
Old 24 August 2018, 08:58 AM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

Believe it or not, you can still get screwed over receiving Gift payments. The “buyer” sends you the payment then after receiving the item will tell PayPal it was a fraudulent payment that they didn’t make. Because the payment is a gift and not for goods or services, PayPal will usually give the “buyer” their money back. At least if you receive the payment as for goods or services and you can prove you’ve delivered the item to the buyers confirmed address (never send to any address other than the confirmed address on the payment, yet another possible scam), PayPal will usually tell the buyer tough luck.
thanks for that info learnt sumat new today

it’s strictly cash in collection or bank transfer from now on
Old 24 August 2018, 10:20 AM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

Only time I've been screwed though PayPal, was when I sold my Xbox. Guy reported to his card company his card had been used in fraud. Unlucky I still had tracking info so PayPal passed it on to card company. And they released me the funds. Very lucky as if they hadn't PayPal would have just taken money off me.