Best Value Wheel Nuts

Search this Thread

Old 11 February 2017, 11:26 PM
8ulldog
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Value Wheel Nuts

He,

Having bought some black wheel nuts for my car they have started to show signs of rust on the inner track in less than 6 months. I like the look of the ScoobyWorx nuts though are there any better?

Which nuts do you guys recommend?

Thanks,

8ulldog
Old 11 February 2017, 11:49 PM
Guesty
Scooby Regular

Theres a few with the sti nuts pal but for me the cost is stupid ive just got standard atm i wouldnt mind some red ones but ive read that ali ones can break off so i didnt bother buying them lol
Old 12 February 2017, 01:42 AM
NGBZ
Scooby Regular

https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...heel-nuts.html
Old 12 February 2017, 07:32 AM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

Received 131 Likes on 101 Posts

Mcguard is defo good quality they make the sti branded ones and non branded mutec make a good set aswell
Old 12 February 2017, 08:31 AM
8ulldog
Scooby Regular

Those STi ones look lovely, what about a locking wheel nut or do you not normally use them?
Old 12 February 2017, 09:30 AM
nikon-man
Scooby Regular

what about these from demon tweeks....

they use these on a lot of race cars and so long as you don't use air tools they are fine and you can torque them up etc

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/perfor...losed-end-type
Old 12 February 2017, 10:26 AM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 8ulldog
Those STi ones look lovely, what about a locking wheel nut or do you not normally use them?
All of them are in effect locking wheel nuts as you need as special socket which is the provided with the set to remove the wheel nuts.

With wheel nuts buy the best quality you can, they are pretty vital to your safety after all.

Plus don't buy open ended nuts as they'll allow water to get at the wheel studs and you'll get rusty water in the threads, plus never buy alloy either as they strip very easily and potentially damage your wheel studs at the same time.
Old 12 February 2017, 12:00 PM
Binny
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hijack the thread but I have a question on wheel nuts and didn't want to clog the forum with another new topic.

I have BBS alloys on my 03 JDM STI and need to replace the wheel nuts as they have seen better days. I want decent quality items but cannot justify the STI nuts price. Googling genuine Subaru nuts comes up with these as found on the ICP site :

http://www.importcarparts.co.uk/part...ut&searchPart=

My question is with these only being £2.50 each are they 'any good'? I know they are the genuine items but why are the STI nuts soooo much more in comparison? Furthermore will they fit my wheels? I've found this photo on the net of my wheels with these very nuts but my current ones are much longer as shown in the second photo :

Last edited by Binny; 12 February 2017 at 12:04 PM.
Old 12 February 2017, 12:03 PM
nikon-man
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 8ulldog
He,

Having bought some black wheel nuts for my car they have started to show signs of rust on the inner track in less than 6 months. I like the look of the ScoobyWorx nuts though are there any better?

Which nuts do you guys recommend?

Thanks,

8ulldog
I have a set of black tuner nuts never fitted if you are interested...
Old 12 February 2017, 12:35 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Binny
Sorry to hijack the thread but I have a question on wheel nuts and didn't want to clog the forum with another new topic.

I have BBS alloys on my 03 JDM STI and need to replace the wheel nuts as they have seen better days. I want decent quality items but cannot justify the STI nuts price. Googling genuine Subaru nuts comes up with these as found on the ICP site :

My question is with these only being £2.50 each are they 'any good'? I know they are the genuine items but why are the STI nuts soooo much more in comparison? Furthermore will they fit my wheels? I've found this photo on the net of my wheels with these very nuts but my current ones are much longer as shown in the second photo :

Yes they will fit, I had the same wheeled and nuts on my MY04 Blobeye Spec C.

As for the McGard STi nuts being more expensive they are much the best quality you can get, to me given what they are and what they do they're good value.
Old 12 February 2017, 12:47 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Have a look at these http://www.eightspeed.co.uk/acatalog/Wheel_Nuts.html
Old 12 February 2017, 12:48 PM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

OEM Subaru nuts have been used on millions of cars. I think that if there was an issue with them, it would have been apparent by now. The STi are more because they are made in far smaller numbers (so manufacturing costs are higher), each one is a "locking" nut and people are clearly prepared to pay more for ones with "STi" on and whatever perceived benefits they may have.

If you want STi ones, they cost what they cost. The OEM ones will do exactly what you want them to; torque to the correct spec and stop your wheels from falling off. If you want/think that the STi ones are better, get them.
Old 12 February 2017, 12:54 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Direct from Subaru.
Full set £12.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STANDARD-S...YAAOSwcnpToB~q
Old 12 February 2017, 12:57 PM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

Them bbs's alloys deserve a set of decent nuts to compliment them to be honest
Old 12 February 2017, 12:59 PM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

Look nice on genuine alloys as well
Old 12 February 2017, 02:07 PM
quattroowner
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Have a look at epman nuts. Bought some recently to fit in the sti. Very good quality

Internal lock key and adapter so won't me the wheels. Comes with protective caps. Found mine on eBay, worth the money for sure
Old 12 February 2017, 03:30 PM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

Received 270 Likes on 234 Posts

mine were ebay they are looking as per new , much better than the rusty non standard ones before , they were about 24 £ posted , the original subaru sti ones look nice but are a lot of money , what's the feeling with people do you use locking nuts or not ? i'm worried about loosing the wheels or does that no longer happen , downside is a nut breaking but i don't think that's common , on the other car it came with subaru sti up specced nuts they look great but feel brittle as no weight to them and again possibly a nightmare if a key or nut brakes , hopefully they are stronger than i think they are
Old 12 February 2017, 03:38 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by quattroowner
Have a look at epman nuts. Bought some recently to fit in the sti. Very good quality

Internal lock key and adapter so won't me the wheels. Comes with protective caps. Found mine on eBay, worth the money for sure
Aren't the epman alloy?
Old 12 February 2017, 05:55 PM
quattroowner
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bustaMOVEs
Aren't the epman alloy?
Yeah they are. Had other alloy nuts before but hey seemed soft . Think they were genuine d1 spec nuts. They performed okay for about 3k miles before I sold the wheels back to standard wheels and nuts

The epman ones seems a more solid construction and a better all round quality.
Old 12 February 2017, 06:09 PM
nikon-man
Scooby Regular

its funny that everyone says don't use alloys ones and yet the link I sent to you from Demontweeks are alloy and they must be the biggest motorsport retailer in the UK and they are the only ones they sell for race cars which must say something !!!

I had some genuine D1 nuts a few years ago and too be honest was disappointed with the quality of them when I took them out of the packet.

some of it goes down to personal choice and likes and dislikes as I can imagine somebody buying a car with alloy nuts on and saying wow look at my wheels and wouldn't know any different until they took the wheels of to do something
Old 12 February 2017, 08:04 PM
8ulldog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nikon-man
I have a set of black tuner nuts never fitted if you are interested...
Thanks but those are what I have currently.
Old 12 February 2017, 10:02 PM
Binny
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815
Ordered, thanks for the link. They'll do for now until I have a mad moment and order the STI ones.

People have mentioned making sure the torque setting is correct, what is the correct torque for these?

Binny