Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not Again - 2.1 Stroker kit question?

Search this Thread

Old 01 December 2016, 04:44 PM
gaborpapp
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not Again - 2.1 Stroker kit question?

Guys,

I`m looking into the possibility of a new rebuild (2.1 stroker). 400-500 bhp area. I set aside a budget of £4.5k , which from speaking to a few reputable builders can make something out of it.

But trying to get the most for bang for my money i`m looking int stroker kit prices and question / do some have experience with these:

Question 1: why is this kit so cheap?

http://www.advancedautomotives.com/s...vcs-1407-p.asp

it has manley rods, mahle pistons, looks like any other kit out there, with the fact i see it only comes in 2 piston sizes, while rcm comes in 3. but that's not biggie as I need to buy the block too.

Question 2:

What kind of power can we safely run on this Budget RCM kit?

http://rogerclarkmotorsport.co.uk/st...roker-kit-ej20

Obviously cutting my stroker parts prices will save me money on the build, money I can use on my new turbo, cuz everything else needed mods wise is already in the car.

thanks.

Last edited by gaborpapp; 01 December 2016 at 04:47 PM.
Old 01 December 2016, 04:50 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

It all depends on what block you use, what size rods, oil pump, pan, which pistons use and better pistons will give more power capability and labour etc.
If going for a decent 600 power capable build will cost around 5k ish to build fully complete.
So just to buy the kit there's more to it etc.
If using a cdb then the matching of rear thrust is to consider also.
Old 01 December 2016, 04:58 PM
gaborpapp
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bustaMOVEs
It all depends on what block you use, what size rods, oil pump, pan, which pistons use and better pistons will give more power capability and labour etc.
If going for a decent 600 power capable build will cost around 5k ish to build fully complete.
So just to buy the kit there's more to it etc.
If using a cdb then the matching of rear thrust is to consider also.

Of course , I won't buy the kits or anything, but as I said, i`m curious why is that kit like half price of a decent RCM kit let's say cuz that's £2300, and again did anyone try their budget kit at £1600 cuz that's agian cheaper but has the "name to it".

It's a whole lot more to it than it meets the eye, just trying to debug this as price differences are huge in this area.

everything else I saw roughly it's same cost (oil pump, timing belt kits, heads, etc)
Old 01 December 2016, 05:07 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Different rated pistons vs costs
Old 01 December 2016, 05:08 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

And of course rcm tax
Old 01 December 2016, 05:27 PM
johno01
Scooby Regular

Received 670 Likes on 519 Posts

And of course rcm tax
What about tdr mate? I plan on taking my car there for the 2.1 stroker on my 04 sti.
Old 01 December 2016, 05:40 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by johno01
What about tdr mate? I plan on taking my car there for the 2.1 stroker on my 04 sti.
I have no first hand experience with tdr but believe they have a decent rep. Believe dubzy on here had his built there and a few others on here which rate them highly.
Old 01 December 2016, 05:52 PM
johno01
Scooby Regular

I have no first hand experience with tdr but believe they have a decent rep. Believe dubzy on here had his built there and a few others on here which rate them highly.
Cheers..hopefully someone with experience will be in touch.
Old 01 December 2016, 08:46 PM
sy1
Scooby Newbie

Ive recently had a 2.1 stroker built & fitted by enginetuner and i paid more than 4.5k , but all depends on the parts used i suppose . I also sourced my own CDB for the build aswell so i could push 500bhp if wanted
Old 01 December 2016, 09:22 PM
Cambs_Stuart
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

TDR built this; it looks superb.

https://www.scoobynet.com/projects-4...cond-taxi.html
Old 01 December 2016, 10:46 PM
CharlesTuna
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 for TDR had my 2.1 stroker built by them with an ej207 SCDB, price started off around 4.5k but over a couple of years and project creep it increased just a little bit

https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...g-session.html

Engine build as below:

2.1 Ej207, 2.5 79mm crank, mahle 2618 pistons, manley conrods, 14mm headstuds
V6 STI Heads
SC46/Blouch billet turbo ceramic coated
Grimmspeed TMIC & Splitter
Grimmspeed Lightweight Crank Pulley
Grimmspeed 3port Boost Control
Grimmspeed 8mm Phenolic spacers
Grimmspeed Turbo Heatsheild ceramic coated
RCM 1000cc topfeed injectors running parallel
RCM FPR
RCM GT spec unequal length headers ceramic coated
RCM 3" downpipe and full system ceramic coated
RCM WRC intake pipe
K&N Filter
RCM oil catch can
RCM Baffled Sump and Plate
RCM 340lph fuel pump
Syvecs 6pnp ECU + Bluetooth module

Other bits and bobs, AP 6 Pot kit, front and rear ARB, anti lift kit, 2 clutches, rear 180 hubs for 6 spd conversion, stub axles etc etc
Old 02 December 2016, 05:31 AM
johno01
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CharlesTuna
+1 for TDR had my 2.1 stroker built by them with an ej207 SCDB, price started off around 4.5k but over a couple of years and project creep it increased just a little
Engine build as below:

2.1 Ej207, 2.5 79mm crank, mahle 2618 pistons, manley conrods, 14mm headstuds
V6 STI Heads
SC46/Blouch billet turbo ceramic coated
Grimmspeed TMIC & Splitter
Grimmspeed Lightweight Crank Pulley
Grimmspeed 3port Boost Control
Grimmspeed 8mm Phenolic spacers
Grimmspeed Turbo Heatsheild ceramic coated
RCM 1000cc topfeed injectors running parallel
RCM FPR
RCM GT spec unequal length headers ceramic coated
RCM 3" downpipe and full system ceramic coated
RCM WRC intake pipe
K&N Filter
RCM oil catch can
RCM Baffled Sump and Plate
RCM 340lph fuel pump
Syvecs 6pnp ECU + Bluetooth module

Other bits and bobs, AP 6 Pot kit, front and rear ARB, anti lift kit, 2 clutches, rear 180 hubs for 6 spd conversion, stub axles etc etc
Sounds nice mate,what power did it make? Any graphs?...tbh I've already got the sc46,syvecs,injectors,gt spec headers,exhaust...but I'm looking at going rotated with a Gt35r...my plan is getting a 2.1 stroker end of January at tdr then running it in..once ran in hopefully buying a rotated kit from rcm and the Gt35r for mark to map...sounds straight forward to me
Old 02 December 2016, 07:50 AM
CharlesTuna
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds nice mate,what power did it make? Any graphs?...tbh I've already got the sc46,syvecs,injectors,gt spec headers,exhaust...but I'm looking at going rotated with a Gt35r...my plan is getting a 2.1 stroker end of January at tdr then running it in..once ran in hopefully buying a rotated kit from rcm and the Gt35r for mark to map...sounds straight forward to me
Thanks

1st mapping session after 1000 mile run in. Managed a healthy 384hp and 330ft/lb.

2nd mapping session at 3000 miles achieved 442bhp and 390ft/lb.

Flywheel bhp and torque

Boost, AFR and at the wheel bhp

Ahhh sorry so literally just a 2.1 stroker build then if you have all the other supporting mods . ..With a rotated GT35r I'd have thought you should get around 550 - 600bhp on a 2.1!?

I think Dubzy is running a 2.35 stroker with a Scoobyclinic/Blouch GT35R equivalent with very good results . . .have a good chat with Mark he's a very helpful, understanding and knowledgeable chap.

Good luck with the build

... things may sound straightforward but there is always something that bites you in the *** ... only reason I've have a Syvecs ECU is because Simtek/Alcatek ECU would barely start the engine. I think a total of 5 different ones were tried in my car but none could start or keep the engine idling below 3k rpm. . .however they would all work in other Subarus!! OEM ecu would start and idle the engine but obviously wasn't aware of the mods . .
So in the end bit the bullet and went for a Syvecs and started first time

Last edited by CharlesTuna; 02 December 2016 at 08:00 AM.
Old 02 December 2016, 09:13 AM
SmurfyBhoy
Scooby Regular

Received 77 Likes on 60 Posts

Are you running the syvecs and sc46 on a stock bottom end ?

How is that going ?

I am unsure whether to go for a stroker or the syvecs first
Old 02 December 2016, 09:18 AM
johno01
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CharlesTuna
Thanks

1st mapping session after 1000 mile run in. Managed a healthy 384hp and 330ft/lb.

2nd mapping session at 3000 miles achieved 442bhp and 390ft/lb.

Flywheel bhp and torque

Boost, AFR and at the wheel bhp

Ahhh sorry so literally just a 2.1 stroker build then if you have all the other supporting mods . ..With a rotated GT35r I'd have thought you should get around 550 - 600bhp on a 2.1!?

I think Dubzy is running a 2.35 stroker with a Scoobyclinic/Blouch GT35R equivalent with very good results . . .have a good chat with Mark he's a very helpful, understanding and knowledgeable chap.

Good luck with the build

... things may sound straightforward but there is always something that bites you in the *** ... only reason I've have a Syvecs ECU is because Simtek/Alcatek ECU would barely start the engine. I think a total of 5 different ones were tried in my car but none could start or keep the engine idling below 3k rpm. . .however they would all work in other Subarus!! OEM ecu would start and idle the engine but obviously wasn't aware of the mods . .
So in the end bit the bullet and went for a Syvecs and started first time
Lol my car made near enough same power on v power,il find graph and post it when home...I got a 20% methanol map aswell which took it to around 475bhp odd,made a world of difference...yeah I understand unforseen problems might bump price up,il be getting new clutch fitted too by Mark which will be a few hundred extra...
Old 02 December 2016, 09:21 AM
johno01
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SmurfyBhoy
Are you running the syvecs and sc46 on a stock bottom end ?

How is that going ?

I am unsure whether to go for a stroker or the syvecs first
Yeah syvecs and sc46 billet on stock bottom end...I'm certainly no expert but car drives perfectly fine although I no engine is probably at its limit.
Old 02 December 2016, 09:27 AM
SmurfyBhoy
Scooby Regular

Yeah syvecs and sc46 billet on stock bottom end...I'm certainly no expert but car drives perfectly fine although I no engine is probably at its limit.
I mean did you do it step by step ?

Did u make any gains just by adding syvecs or did u do turbo and ecu at same time,

I'm trying to find out what gains if any by switching ecu alone.
Old 02 December 2016, 09:40 AM
johno01
Scooby Regular

I mean did you do it step by step ?

Did u make any gains just by adding syvecs or did u do turbo and ecu at same time,

I'm trying to find out what gains if any by switching ecu alone.
Ahh right...I had all my bolt on parts already but in may gone my car was around 410bhp so I swapped the 2.75inch miltek with a sports cat for a new straight through 3 inch mongoose and bought a new 3 bar map sensor and power went up to 445 from 410,then with meth map went upto 475.
Old 02 December 2016, 09:50 AM
SmurfyBhoy
Scooby Regular

Ahh right...I had all my bolt on parts already but in may gone my car was around 410bhp so I swapped the 2.75inch miltek with a sports cat for a new straight through 3 inch mongoose and bought a new 3 bar map sensor and power went up to 445 from 410,then with meth map went upto 475.
So is this correct ?

410bhp @ 2.75 with sport cat SC46 ? Syvecs too ?? Can u remember boost level ?

445 bhp - 3" decat and 3bar to get more boost with sc46 and syvecs ? what boost if u know ?

Cheers
Old 02 December 2016, 10:19 AM
johno01
Scooby Regular

So is this correct ?

410bhp @ 2.75 with sport cat SC46 ? Syvecs too ?? Can u remember boost level ?

445 bhp - 3" decat and 3bar to get more boost with sc46 and syvecs ? what boost if u know ?

Cheers
Duncan at race dynamics did 410bhp bhp map at 1.6bar with syvecs...pat at scoobyclinic did 445 bhp map with syvecs at 1.8bar in may gone with exhaust and may sensor
Old 02 December 2016, 10:38 AM
SmurfyBhoy
Scooby Regular

Duncan at race dynamics did 410bhp bhp map at 1.6bar with syvecs...pat at scoobyclinic did 445 bhp map with syvecs at 1.8bar in may gone with exhaust and may sensor
Nice improvement,

My sc42 been tinkered with by Owen Developments makes 397 @ 1.6 bar on OEM ecu,

Like the idea of upping the boost and going syvecs, just unsure if i should be forging first,

So almost a year at 1.8 bar and 445bhp, are you forging for piece of mind or have u had any issues at that power ?
Old 02 December 2016, 11:11 AM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Syvecs will allow more timing and control, and other stuff will be more controllable to get the best out of it so should make more just by swapping ecu.
They also have more than you can handle lol.

Last edited by bustaMOVEs; 02 December 2016 at 11:13 AM.
Old 02 December 2016, 11:19 AM
johno01
Scooby Regular

Nice improvement,

Like the idea of upping the boost and going syvecs, just unsure if i should be forging first,

So almost a year at 1.8 bar and 445bhp, are you forging for piece of mind or have u had any issues at that power ?
Nice numbers...How was the service from owen developments? My sc46 billet will be getting sent away for a refresh then sold on here when I buy my Gt35r...just not sure where to send it

Im currently using it on v power and methanol and it's an animal at 475...there's absolutely no issues although I drive like miss daisy most the time,plus with this sh1te weather its hardly getting used...I've got the bug for more power plus I'd rather not use methanol...I'm hoping for close to 600...getting it built for shows next summer

My thoughts are if your pushing the limits then have money put aside just incase..my car has done around 4000 miles in the 18 months I've had it but the oil is changed every couple months regardless of mileage
Old 02 December 2016, 04:33 PM
SmurfyBhoy
Scooby Regular

Nice numbers...How was the service from owen developments? My sc46 billet will be getting sent away for a refresh then sold on here when I buy my Gt35r...just not sure where to send it

Im currently using it on v power and methanol and it's an animal at 475...there's absolutely no issues although I drive like miss daisy most the time,plus with this sh1te weather its hardly getting used...I've got the bug for more power plus I'd rather not use methanol...I'm hoping for close to 600...getting it built for shows next summer

My thoughts are if your pushing the limits then have money put aside just incase..my car has done around 4000 miles in the 18 months I've had it but the oil is changed every couple months regardless of mileage
Not sure about the initial service or cost as i bough it already complete on here,

It started as SC42 then remachined to fit bigger billet wheel, upgraded bearings and heatshield , pretty much their HTA M-spec now.

Owens have been more than happy to search their files and send me all the details of the work they carried out, as well as any other requests.

Wouldn't think twice about using them

I would actually ask what they can do as far as upgrades on your SC46 they might surprise you.
Old 02 December 2016, 05:04 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Nice improvement,

Hadn't this turbo been tinkered to make more than that at least? Most 42s seem to make 400+
Old 02 December 2016, 05:12 PM
AS Performance
Former Sponsor

whilst we dont advertise 'kits' a such we supply huge amounts of parts and can easily put a parts build together specifically to suit your target / budget and price wise we never have any issues matching (and often beating) others

0191-4103770
Old 02 December 2016, 05:55 PM
johno01
Scooby Regular

Not sure about the initial service or cost as i bough it already complete on here,

It started as SC42 then remachined to fit bigger billet wheel, upgraded bearings and heatshield , pretty much their HTA M-spec now.

Owens have been more than happy to search their files and send me all the details of the work they carried out, as well as any other requests.

Wouldn't think twice about using them

I would actually ask what they can do as far as upgrades on your SC46 they might surprise you.
I've got my heart set on this rotated kit with the Gt35r tbh...although I personally think the sc46 Is a smashing turbo.
Old 02 December 2016, 05:56 PM
johno01
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AS Performance
whilst we dont advertise 'kits' a such we supply huge amounts of parts and can easily put a parts build together specifically to suit your target / budget and price wise we never have any issues matching (and often beating) others

0191-4103770
Sounds good..I thought you meant turbo parts

Last edited by johno01; 02 December 2016 at 11:24 PM.
Old 02 December 2016, 07:07 PM
joe v3sti
Scooby Regular

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by AS Performance

0191-4103770
My entire 2.1 stroker engine came from AS Performabce, all components, machine work, AS 14mm dowelled head studs, CDB insert, job lot.
Machining on the block was a work of art, all top end proven components used, far better than what comes in these generic "stroker kits".

With most of these things the proof is in the pudding and my pudding has been extremely reliable and goes very very well. It's fair to say that engine has done me well this season.

As always Alyn was spot on, I wouldn't and won't use anyone else! Joe
Old 03 December 2016, 05:21 PM
rickybobby
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hadn't this turbo been tinkered to make more than that at least? Most 42s seem to make 400+
I've been reading this post with interest as I have chosen an SC42 and supporting mods to improve my blob sti.

This isnt the 1st time i've read of the SC42 having issues tho which concerns me, theyre not exactly cheap. Why would one need tinkering with to perform as it should?

I understand that the supporting components ultimately determine its productivity but have now read about cracked housings and oil issues so should I be worried?