Sponsored by:

transporting a car

Search this Thread

Old 16 October 2016, 11:20 AM
sti-chris
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb transporting a car

Guys I'm looking to buy a car which is in London and I'm in Edinburgh.

I trust the seller and obviously would get a limited time warranty on the car.

I'm only considering this to give me options however are there any company's out there that are reputable to transport / drive the car and deliver it for me?
and whats you take on this?

Costs as well what would you expect to pay bearing in mind it would probably be £100 worth of fuel to get it back up the road.

Advice is much appreciated
Old 16 October 2016, 12:28 PM
gussy
Scooby Regular

Location: oop north in a spec-c.Now sold and starting on a classic ra track/sprint/road car
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Go on line there are many companys out there who will collect and deliver cars on their transporters fully insured,I would not get anybody to drive the car ??? just transport it on a low loader/trailer,there is a web site which I cant remember now which I looked at a year ago to deliver/collect a car for me they act as a broker and like the tv show companys bid directly with you to get your trade.If you have access to a tow car why dont you hire a transpoter trailer and go down and collect it yourself.??? much more fun
Old 16 October 2016, 12:41 PM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shiply.

Waste of time IMO. cheaper for you to go get it. As byt he time you have paid for fuel costs for a tow car and trailer, plus labour and VAT you could have just got a train or plane down and driven it back yourself.
Old 16 October 2016, 01:21 PM
sti-chris
Scooby Regular

I would cost me £100 on flights as the wife would be going for the trip, then an estimated £100/£120 on fuel + eating at those expensive fuel stations on the way so I guess for me to go down id be looking at close on £300. If i could get it brought up for the same or around the same money then be easier to just have it brought up on a transporter and delivered.

The positives on this is that I don't need to arrange insurance or road tax till the car arrives on my drive and it saves me a 6 hour drive 2 flights a bus trip and a train journey, oh and the wife's chat all the way home about why I should buy a sensible car.... again.

Last edited by sti-chris; 16 October 2016 at 01:22 PM. Reason: typo
Old 16 October 2016, 02:28 PM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sti-chris
I would cost me £100 on flights as the wife would be going for the trip, then an estimated £100/£120 on fuel + eating at those expensive fuel stations on the way so I guess for me to go down id be looking at close on £300. If i could get it brought up for the same or around the same money then be easier to just have it brought up on a transporter and delivered.

The positives on this is that I don't need to arrange insurance or road tax till the car arrives on my drive and it saves me a 6 hour drive 2 flights a bus trip and a train journey, oh and the wife's chat all the way home about why I should buy a sensible car.... again.

It will still be cheaper to get it yourself and leave the wife at home.

Bare in mind its going to be more expensive on fuel because a tow car will have a larger engine and return less mpg with a load on.

You will be paying a guys wages to drive for 8hr+ as the speed limit is less when towing, along withbrest breaks and getting stuck in traffic etc.

There is also likely to be VAT to pay ontop of delivery costs etc so factor in an extra 20% straight off the bat.

Your time is free, you can take meals etc with you, you dont need rest breaks by law like a professional driver, so all in all it can be done for about 200quid all in if you do it yourself.

I was getting quotes of 220 for moving a car from plymouth to portsmouth. A quarter of what you want to do.
Old 16 October 2016, 02:48 PM
campbell1903
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys I'm looking to buy a car which is in London and I'm in Edinburgh.

I trust the seller and obviously would get a limited time warranty on the car.

I'm only considering this to give me options however are there any company's out there that are reputable to transport / drive the car and deliver it for me?
and whats you take on this?

Costs as well what would you expect to pay bearing in mind it would probably be £100 worth of fuel to get it back up the road.

Advice is much appreciated
I would personally go get it yourself as I work for a recovery company in aberdeen we would be more than 300 to take a car to Edinburgh as the customer has to pay the return costs as well.unless you have a small recovery company down your way that can do it for cash
Old 16 October 2016, 03:06 PM
sti-chris
Scooby Regular

I went to deliveryquote compare and the lowest quote is £349 to be collected on a trailer delivered which I feel is not too bad considering.
Old 16 October 2016, 03:17 PM
jonnyboy82
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Go get it yourself or try movex.
Old 16 October 2016, 10:19 PM
Scooby Stevo
Scooby Regular

i once bought an sti8 near brighton and travelled down from blackpool - trains on the sat were very easy and had an enjoyable drive home - go get it
Old 16 October 2016, 11:07 PM
Justme103
Scooby Regular

I used to do transport work, The charge worked out at £1.50 a mile for distance work
Old 17 October 2016, 07:44 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
I went to deliveryquote compare and the lowest quote is £349 to be collected on a trailer delivered which I feel is not too bad considering.
That's more than it would cost if you went and got it though.
Old 17 October 2016, 07:58 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Fly down and drive it back, it's a good chance to get to know the car and it won't get damaged in transportation.
Old 17 October 2016, 09:28 PM
sti-chris
Scooby Regular

Totally appreciate the go get it comments and drive back.

I have worked out that traveling to edinburgh airport is a 6:30 am taxi trip, then 2 flights to London with a train journey and finally a taxi to the dealer along with fuel costs to drive home 2x tanks of super UL food along the way is going to costs around £300 and that's on the lowest side.

I have had various quotes to have the car collected and transported back ranging from £270 up to £400 all quotes are the car on a trailer and fully insured goods in transit cover.

I then spoke to a local garage I have bought a few cars from in the passed who put me in contact with a logistics company who drive up and down on a daily basis dropping cars off from edinburgh to London and picking up all the way back on an every day basis.

I think considering my time as well as a day off work this works out the best option for me.
If it was a closer run then Id go for it just seems the distance works out just as cost effective as me going and getting the car.

Will make my mind up tomorrow saga continues ......
Old 18 October 2016, 07:08 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Originally Posted by Paulo P
it's a good chance to get to know the car

Chris, I drove from Newcastle to High Wycombe, just outside London, for a night on the drink with Paul that I quoted and others. That cost way more than what it would cost you to go and get this car.

Go down and get it.
Old 19 October 2016, 11:50 AM
sti-chris
Scooby Regular

LOL @ Mick

a night of the drink is way more or your not doing it right !!

Anyways a deal has been done, although not with the original car I was after, as this turned out to be sold 5 minutes before I called to leave a deposit.

things happen for a reason.

So then I found something much newer and around the same money which I'm just waiting from a call from the transport company to let me know If its getting collected tomorrow.

Insurance sorted just need to call and confirm.

I'm away out to clear the garage back into the shed
Old 19 October 2016, 06:02 PM
nortonscooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JGlanzaV
Shiply.

Waste of time IMO. cheaper for you to go get it. As byt he time you have paid for fuel costs for a tow car and trailer, plus labour and VAT you could have just got a train or plane down and driven it back yourself.
^^^what he said. Cant better the adventure and roadtrip to fetch your new car.
Old 19 October 2016, 07:15 PM
sti-chris
Scooby Regular

Car arrives Friday morning