Sponsored by:

Bushes ????

Search this Thread

Old 18 May 2016, 09:16 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Bushes ????

So car is currently up on stands, I'm stripping the underneath completely (apart from tank ). Plan is to underseal the car again and have all the parts powder coated so it all looks pretty
I will be removing all the bushes ofcourse before the powder coating and hope to fit some uprated bushes before the refit. I have a press so no issues on that front.

Now I've been pricing things up and holy moly the bushes are expensive, to poly bush the whole lot using something like superpro I'm looking at over £500 !!! And standard subaru bushes are even more money !!!
Now don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to cut corners or do things on the cheap (been around for a while and have been victim to the 'buy cheap buy twice' rule before ) but surely there's another option. The car is a garage queen that sees the road for about a thousand miles a year, and that's only on sunny Sunday afternoons so I'm not trying to build some super fandango track weapon.

But if it's circa £500 then so be it, it is what it is. Just thought I'd see what you chaps thought and if there was any other options.

Regards,
Matt
Old 18 May 2016, 10:48 PM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyB1983
So car is currently up on stands, I'm stripping the underneath completely (apart from tank ). Plan is to underseal the car again and have all the parts powder coated so it all looks pretty
I will be removing all the bushes ofcourse before the powder coating and hope to fit some uprated bushes before the refit. I have a press so no issues on that front.

Now I've been pricing things up and holy moly the bushes are expensive, to poly bush the whole lot using something like superpro I'm looking at over £500 !!! And standard subaru bushes are even more money !!!
Now don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to cut corners or do things on the cheap (been around for a while and have been victim to the 'buy cheap buy twice' rule before ) but surely there's another option. The car is a garage queen that sees the road for about a thousand miles a year, and that's only on sunny Sunday afternoons so I'm not trying to build some super fandango track weapon.

But if it's circa £500 then so be it, it is what it is. Just thought I'd see what you chaps thought and if there was any other options.

Regards,
Matt
I've got a mix of super pro and whiteline black and yellow series, you can get cheaper but you get what you pay for like you know but you may find it maybe more than that if you do the whole car

Last edited by The Pink Ninja; 18 May 2016 at 10:51 PM.
Old 19 May 2016, 05:23 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Pink Ninja
I've got a mix of super pro and whiteline black and yellow series, you can get cheaper but you get what you pay for like you know but you may find it maybe more than that if you do the whole car

Cheers Gaz, I know the usual route is super pro or Whiteline like you say, just thought I'd see if anybody was using any other option really.
And yea, done a bit more pricing today and it appears my initial £500 quote could be a little short

I thought a thread like this might attract a bit more attention, the only reason i posted it here was because snet has a much larger audience compared to the other forum that I now frequent.
Stick a bull **** thread up about how your car makes you feel or how you out ran a police car and the thread gets inundated with replys. Pretty much shows where this place has gone i suppose.
Old 19 May 2016, 05:32 PM
BLU
Scooby Regular

I'm doing this with my project car and yes the price is quite high but so be it - I'm doing it over the course of a couple of months as the car is off the road anyway! Super Pro is my brand of choice. Easy to install though to be fair! There is no cheaper option afaik but like you say bu cheap, buy twice!

Last edited by BLU; 19 May 2016 at 05:35 PM.
Old 19 May 2016, 06:41 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Do it properly. tbh £500 is a drop in the ocean I'd spend that on a head unit or a decent set of tyres. You are transforming the entire handling of the car for 500 quid

I prefer Beatrush bushes to whiteline or superpro but they don't have the range that you would need to do the whole car I've gone for S202 pink suspension and STI bushes, Beatrush, Summit and then new OEM.
Old 19 May 2016, 07:15 PM
Cambs_Stuart
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd love to do this to my car. The bushes can make a really huge difference. Good luck and let's have a write up when you're done!
And to answer your original question; I'd go for do it once and do it properly. If you cut corners you'll only end up going back and doing it again.

Last edited by Cambs_Stuart; 19 May 2016 at 07:18 PM.
Old 19 May 2016, 07:45 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 53
Do it properly. tbh £500 is a drop in the ocean I'd spend that on a head unit or a decent set of tyres. You are transforming the entire handling of the car for 500 quid

I prefer Beatrush bushes to whiteline or superpro but they don't have the range that you would need to do the whole car I've gone for S202 pink suspension and STI bushes, Beatrush, Summit and then new OEM.

The thing is its not just £500... That's just for the few bushes. When you factor in all of the other components (new shockers/springs, top mounts, powder coat etc etc) it becomes quite expensive, hence seeing if there was a slightly cheaper alternative to the big names.
Are we paying a premium for the 'name' ??

For instance, how many of us have Alyn's gear shifter bushes fitted instead of a big well known brands..... they seem to work pretty damn well.
Old 19 May 2016, 08:00 PM
Scooby Senior

Yeah I have those

It's worth doing over time and not scrimping. I bought brand new ally arms to replace my steel ones lol as they come fully oem bushed with links etc. Don't forget all the squidgy engine and transmission bushes
Old 19 May 2016, 08:29 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 53
Yeah I have those
That's what started my thought process really .... if a little company up north can put a set of bushes together that work as well as they do for not alot of money then surely there's some companies out there making bushes for these cars that work just as well as the named ones for less money.
More investigation required, although I do like the idea of the purple powerflex bushes...
Old 19 May 2016, 08:39 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Subaru's pricing is ridiculous for some of them.
Old 20 May 2016, 08:23 AM
Ash Webster
Scooby Regular

i'm pricing up a whole polybush/suspension refurb including arbs, droplinks, trailing arms etc . not cheap at all. but like everyone says - do it once do it proper!
Old 20 May 2016, 08:29 AM
Cambs_Stuart
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ash Webster
i'm pricing up a whole polybush/suspension refurb including arbs, droplinks, trailing arms etc . not cheap at all. but like everyone says - do it once do it proper!
This is something I'm considering applying some man-maths to, so I'd be really interested in how much difference it makes.
Old 20 May 2016, 08:51 AM
Scooby Senior

Depends what car you're doing it to really but even replacing oem with oem on a v2 GC8 like mine and mattys is night and day Bushes allow movement, the more movement the greater the competing forces. The less competing forces the more the car handles.

Engine and transmission mounts are the best place to start as they want to resist the direction you want to go in when cornering accelerating etc.
Old 20 May 2016, 10:37 AM
Cambs_Stuart
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 53
Depends what car you're doing it to really but even replacing oem with oem on a v2 GC8 like mine and mattys is night and day Bushes allow movement, the more movement the greater the competing forces. The less competing forces the more the car handles.

Engine and transmission mounts are the best place to start as they want to resist the direction you want to go in when cornering accelerating etc.
I've changed the pitch stop mount for a group n version, and that's had a great impact. My car is a daily drive and family transport so I don't want to go too hard or noisy. But all the same the bushes are 10 years old so I think it'd be worth refreshing a few. If I'm doing this on a budget are there some that would have more of an impact than others?
Apologies for high jacking the thread for my own issues.