Sponsored by:

Bonnet Scoop Removal

Search this Thread

Old 10 December 2015, 01:41 PM
lcs_turbo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bonnet Scoop Removal

Just toying with a couple of ideas, and wondered if their are any adverse effects when removing the bonnet scoop entirely when fitting a FMIC (with necessary supporting mods etc). If the hole left in the bonnet was blanked off or if a non turbo bonnet was added, would this have any impact on circulation and engine bay temps?
Old 10 December 2015, 03:58 PM
**jay**
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Not a good idea as the air forced in cools the gearbox, it be a really hot place under there stuck in traffic also, id leave it be
Old 10 December 2015, 04:07 PM
1509joe
Scooby Regular

Received 278 Likes on 248 Posts

Reverse scoop same as an evo supposed to draw air through the fmic. You can buy them somewhere but can't remember.
Old 16 December 2015, 09:16 AM
seaking22b
Scooby Regular

RCM do them
Old 16 December 2015, 09:25 AM
south_scoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by **jay**
Not a good idea as the air forced in cools the gearbox, it be a really hot place under there stuck in traffic also, id leave it be
What aload of rubbish cools the gearbox? So non turbos have a different method of gearbox cooling?

In all seriousness mate its there for one reason only. For the intercooler
Old 16 December 2015, 12:10 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

OK, I asked the same question when I went FMIC, but instead of asking on here, I asked the late, great, Harvey Smith.

Harve, of course, didn't have an opinion...oh no...he'd done the research. He always had.

His findings were:

For cars driven on the road, track etc, DO NOT replace the present scoop with anything different, facing backwards etc etc. If you do, it will raise underbonnet temps to an unacceptable level.

Cars used for short bursts, like drag, time attack etc are fine. Road cars suffer the worst. and yes, it does cool the gearbox...Harve tested the gearbox oil temps with the scoop, without, with a backwards facing etc etc.

He was an engineer, par excellence, and is sadly missed.
Old 16 December 2015, 05:50 PM
south_scoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
OK, I asked the same question when I went FMIC, but instead of asking on here, I asked the late, great, Harvey Smith.

Harve, of course, didn't have an opinion...oh no...he'd done the research. He always had.

His findings were:

For cars driven on the road, track etc, DO NOT replace the present scoop with anything different, facing backwards etc etc. If you do, it will raise underbonnet temps to an unacceptable level.

Cars used for short bursts, like drag, time attack etc are fine. Road cars suffer the worst. and yes, it does cool the gearbox...Harve tested the gearbox oil temps with the scoop, without, with a backwards facing etc etc.

He was an engineer, par excellence, and is sadly missed.
Always like being proven wrong 👍
So the intercooler act as a duct channelling air towards the gear box? But without it there (fmic) isn't the air pretty much scattered?

I would have thought if you leave the sump guard / under tray off with a reverse scoop that would be pretty effective at lowering under bonnet temps on the move
Old 16 December 2015, 06:44 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Mine has no undertray anyway, now.

Harve said that he thought, and tests proved, that the air channeled in went down over the rear of the engine, gearbox etc, and was sucked out by the stream of air passing under the car.