Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EVO to Scooby

Search this Thread

Old 11 May 2001, 10:12 AM
RoShamBo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is not the old "EVO vs Scooby" thread.
I have an STi4 & will probably change to an EVO 6 in a couple of months.
Question is - anyone out there gone from an EVO to a Scooby.
I would like some advise on the pro's & cons of EVO ownership before deciding.
I KNOW I will miss the Scoob but after 5 years ownership I fancy a change.

Ro.
Old 11 May 2001, 10:27 AM
Steve001
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know someone who had a scooby then an Evo then a scooby and I think he's back with the Evo. I drove a uprated 350 bhp Evo the other week (what a car!)the only thing that put me off is that the Evo has a 4K service interval other than that its just a matter of taste. Oh and Evo's seem to hold there residuals values better
Old 11 May 2001, 10:48 AM
EVOVI
Scooby Regular

Talking

As an owner of an E6 I am going to be a little biased towards it.There is nothing wrong with an E6 better than most scoobs and about equal to a P1.It`s faults are as already mentioned servicing every 4500 miles,fuel economy is crap,so are scoobs but at least scoobs allow you to put more than £20 of fuel in.Brake discs usually warp if taken on a track.
Old 11 May 2001, 11:18 AM
GCollier
Scooby Regular

Ro,

I used to own a 99MY Scooby and now have an Evo 6.

The biggest downside to Evo ownership as far as I'm concerned is the pathetically small fuel tank - 50 litres (11 gallons), and low 20's mpg in "normal" driving don't give a very good range.

If you do a lot of miles, then the 4,500 mile servicing intervals could get on your nerves, but if used as a weekend toy, then that works out about every 6 months anyway.

Some people claim the Evo's ride is too hard. It's certainly firmer than a UK model scoob, but something I only notice at low speeds over badly potholed roads. I've done quite a few long(ish) journies in mine, and can honestly say it doesn't bother me at all - you need to judge that for yourself though, but if you have an STi-4 now, I don't think it'll be a problem.

The cars "full-on" looks attract a lot more attention than the scoob ever did, which is not necessarily a good thing, depending on your point of view. Mostly it's people (usually teenage kids) shouting "nice car mister", and other drivers flashing their lights at you and giving you the thumbs up, but I would be very careful where I leave it.

Not sure about residuals being good. Better than scooby, possibly, but some of the threads on the lancer-register board would seem to show that depreciation is reasonably high. Personally I would expect to lose about 25% in the first year on my car if I came to sell (which I'm not, there really are very few places to go after a VI).

The pro's, well they're all dynamic, and you'll get a handle on them after a few test drives.

Regards,

Gary.
Old 11 May 2001, 11:46 AM
ANDY330
Scooby Regular

get a cossy! more fun than you know what to do with!
Old 11 May 2001, 01:04 PM
Squizz
Scooby Regular

I watched hundreds of EVO's at Castle Coombe at the Rally Action Day.

How boring?

Sound like a hair-dryer and go where they're pointed...I mean, where's the fun in that?

Keep the scoob!
Old 11 May 2001, 11:02 PM
Kevin Atkins
Scooby Newbie

Question

Squizz

You reckon it's boring in an Evo, then sit in my passenger seat at the next track day and see if you change your mind. And if you need to know how quick I go, then just ask Stef as he will not be sporting the plate EK1

All the best Kevin A
Old 12 May 2001, 10:21 AM
GCollier
Scooby Regular

For insurance, I believe some companies will discriminate between Ralliart Evo's and others which are a darker shade of grey, with the latter potentially costing much more (don't ask me why). Bell direct quote exactly the same for my Ralliart VI as they do for a P1 - just renewed for approx £800.

As to servicing costs, I got the dealer I bought the car from to run through them, and only the cambelt service was more than a couple of hundred quid, though I can't remember the exact figures.

Squizz - if you think Evo's are boring, then I'd be betting you've never driven one. If you HAVE driven one and still think they're boring, then you need to check your pulse mate to see if you're still alive

Regards,

Gary.
Old 12 May 2001, 12:43 PM
MARK MORRIS
Scooby Regular

hi
i nearly got rid of my scoob for a evo 6, the cons i found were insurance, an extra £904 on top of the £1100 i have just paid, compared to an extra £260 for a p1, higher servicing costs, no engine/exhaust note, not much difference in performance or braking but a big difference in handling and turn in, too my uk my97 scoob
mark
Old 14 May 2001, 06:27 PM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Cool

Bout time someone told P.S. Lewis about this he's always raving on about the Evo (bless him).....4500 service intervals.....Your having a larf.....Sod that.
Old 14 May 2001, 08:24 PM
DR Motorsport
BANNED

I've been running both, modified Scooby and modified EVO 6. They both have good points, and bad.

The running costs favour the Scoob, by a long way. The EVO does need servicing every 4500 miles, but all the fluids - diffs / gearbox / engine / AYC should also be changed at these points. The capacities for the diff in particular is very small and it is easy to burn up the oil in them with some enthusiastic driving. I know of 3 EVO 6's with replacement gearboxes all with below 12k miles.

Noise and sound also goes to the Subaru, the only thing that sounds better IMHO was the original Audi ur-Quattro.

The brakes on the EVO's are fantastic and combined with Mintex 1155's -I've yet to see a Subaru with any set up, beat them, match them yes, but not beat them (AP racing). But the discs are prone to warping easily.

The EVO doesn't have any great speed advantage. There really isn't much between them. 1 second to the EVO for a lap of Knockhill. This maybe gives a false view, because what the Subaru looses on the EVO on braking and slightly on acceleration, it gains back on handling.

The Subaru is a better handling car, it stays more stable and grips for longer. Where as the EVO's rear end starts to slide earlier, but then grips suddenly with the AYC - this takes a bit of getting used to at first. It is good fun at roundabouts where you can get it too slide the back end with no problems. Dis-used roads blah, blah, blah etc.

One other point. I can drive, and have driven the Subaru for 1200 miles over the space of 2 days, with no discomfort problems, but the EVO's Recaro seats are far too hard and grip your hip bones too tightly unless you are below average size.

Ideally, I would like to build one car that has it all. Maybe the new STi 7, will do it.

I hope that helps a little.

David
Old 14 May 2001, 10:45 PM
Chins
Scooby Regular

David

Nice to see one of the best balanced reports yet . Thanks

Jonathan

[This message has been edited by Chins (edited 14 May 2001).]