Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

failed MOT on emssions...any ideas??

Search this Thread

Old 09 June 2015, 05:09 PM
mickeymouse
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default failed MOT on emssions...any ideas??

scoob just failed MOT on emissions..

001 exhaust emissions carbon monoxide content at idle excessive..

500-850rpm <0.50% vol... 0.73% vol FAIL

any ideas on how to get a pass??? it did have a good ragging before hand and it passed fast idle test...

ive noticed blue smoke on start up and coming up to traffic lights/round abouts etc... but oddly it doesn't do it all the time.. just when it feel likes it..

its had a new oxy sensor a few months ago..

hawkeye 2.5.. sports cat and I assume I have 2 cats?? as it has a bulge in the downpipe that I assume is an original cat.

thanks
Old 09 June 2015, 05:14 PM
ZX-TT
Scooby Regular

Cheapest option would be find a more scooby loving MOT centre
Old 09 June 2015, 08:28 PM
B16fun
Scooby Regular

Get it terracleaned! I had my M3 Evo done and the results were amazing! It wouldn;t pass the emissions test before hand, I then had it terracleaned and it passed as if it was a new car! The MOT tester couldn;t believe it was the same car. http://www.terraclean.co.uk/
Old 09 June 2015, 08:32 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How much does terracleaning cost out of interest?
Old 09 June 2015, 09:06 PM
B16fun
Scooby Regular

I think it's around £108 with the VAT last time I checked. They set the cost so no matter where you go it's the same. Go on their website and enter your postcode and it'll give you the details of the nearest garage offering it. A friend of mine runs a garage and was looking at buying the equipment after seeing it elsewhere. Apparently there was a queue of Impreza's waiting to have it done for exactly this reason.
Andy.
Old 10 June 2015, 12:20 AM
FMJ
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmmm seems far too good to be true.

Does the effect last?

I am wondering if by cleaning all the deposits means that the air coming out of the exhaust is initially cleaner as it doesn't pick up the dirt now removed from the engine but after a while the deposits will build again and I am wondering how long it takes for the results to fade....

Also what is the make up off this special fuel? Is it safe?
Old 10 June 2015, 02:31 AM
mickeymouse
Scooby Regular

It shouldn't be that dirty that it needs an internal clean.. Was rebuilt 12months or so ago and covered maybe less than 10k in that time..
Old 10 June 2015, 07:55 AM
B16fun
Scooby Regular

If it was only rebuilt 12 months ago then it does sound like there is some underlying issue rather than just general build up of carbon, etc.
With regards to the question of do the effects last, mine was done a couple of years ago and I'm still seeing the benefits. They recommend that if you are doing average miles then to have it done every 40,000 miles. Ultimately te deposits will buil back up, it's only the same as buying a new car, at first the engine will be lovely and clean but over time it will coke up. I couldn't tell you what the two chemicals they run the car on are but they have been around for a number of years now and I haven't heard of any issues but then equally I haven't particularly looked. If you are looking to have it done and your car is modified from standard then speak to them and see what they say.
Andy.

Last edited by B16fun; 10 June 2015 at 07:57 AM.
Old 10 June 2015, 08:37 AM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by mickeymouse
scoob just failed MOT on emissions..

001 exhaust emissions carbon monoxide content at idle excessive..

500-850rpm <0.50% vol... 0.73% vol FAIL

any ideas on how to get a pass??? it did have a good ragging before hand and it passed fast idle test...

ive noticed blue smoke on start up and coming up to traffic lights/round abouts etc... but oddly it doesn't do it all the time.. just when it feel likes it..

its had a new oxy sensor a few months ago..

hawkeye 2.5.. sports cat and I assume I have 2 cats?? as it has a bulge in the downpipe that I assume is an original cat.

thanks
Might be worth finding out for sure
Old 11 June 2015, 09:22 AM
gazzawrx
Scooby Regular

If you get the cat red hot literally just before the bet test itll pass, i normally hold the revs at about 4-5k for about a minute and then run the test, normally they go through, generally if the co's failing and its an issue with engine or cat the the hc and lambda normally read way off too.

I reckon i could get it through if needed.
Old 11 June 2015, 10:22 PM
mickeymouse
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gazzawrx
If you get the cat red hot literally just before the bet test itll pass, i normally hold the revs at about 4-5k for about a minute and then run the test, normally they go through, generally if the co's failing and its an issue with engine or cat the the hc and lambda normally read way off too.

I reckon i could get it through if needed.

It was a main dealer mot centre... It's around 10 miles from mine so gave it a good ragging before hand. However I'm not even sure if it's close to passing or those results are way off??

Not even sure of my next step tbh!! They did say they would look at it, but as heavily modified I'm not sure they would even know where to start!!
Old 11 June 2015, 11:03 PM
ronjeramy
Scooby Regular

Mine failed on the emissions, cat wasn't hot, tester said to take it up the road to get it hot. Quick blast and it passed.
Old 11 June 2015, 11:34 PM
legb4rsk
Scooby Regular

Location: If you're not braking or accelerating you're wasting time.

Had the same problem last week all be it on a B4 Legacy.Put a bottle of Cataclean (available at any Halfords) into a 1/4 tank,drive for 15 miles & then just before the test,as above, run the car to get it really hot....................made a huge difference.

Last edited by legb4rsk; 11 June 2015 at 11:35 PM.
Old 12 June 2015, 05:40 AM
gazzawrx
Scooby Regular

It was a main dealer mot centre... It's around 10 miles from mine so gave it a good ragging before hand. However I'm not even sure if it's close to passing or those results are way off??

Not even sure of my next step tbh!! They did say they would look at it, but as heavily modified I'm not sure they would even know where to start!!
Unless you gave it a good ragging, drove it straight in and put the probe in the exhaust as soon as you got there then the cat wasnt hot enough, it dosent take long for it to cool down enough to fail, thats why i said about holding the revs on for a bit before running the test, it warms the cat back up. Ive had cars come in thats failing on all 3 readings and ive still managed to get them through by doing this.
Old 14 June 2015, 08:48 PM
mickeymouse
Scooby Regular

Unless you gave it a good ragging, drove it straight in and put the probe in the exhaust as soon as you got there then the cat wasnt hot enough, it dosent take long for it to cool down enough to fail, thats why i said about holding the revs on for a bit before running the test, it warms the cat back up. Ive had cars come in thats failing on all 3 readings and ive still managed to get them through by doing this.

tbf I waited 10 mins or so before he even started the MOT and by the time he got to the emissions bit the best part of an hour had passed

ill have to take it back for a re-test as it only needs the emissions doing.. and ill have to hope that they do it straight away

is those readings very high??? are they even close to being a pass??
Old 15 June 2015, 08:00 AM
gazzawrx
Scooby Regular

tbf I waited 10 mins or so before he even started the MOT and by the time he got to the emissions bit the best part of an hour had passed

ill have to take it back for a re-test as it only needs the emissions doing.. and ill have to hope that they do it straight away

Tbh they are quite high, it looks to me like it failed the first fast idle test, which has a limit of 0.20 co content and then went through the process of applying the second cat test which raises the limit to 0.50 content and it still failed, your cat really needs to be hot to stand any chance of it passing.
Old 15 June 2015, 08:28 AM
Filski
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Speak to Edmondo
Old 15 June 2015, 09:21 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bolted on the cat section (200cell sport cat) of the Miltek ready for the MOT. It passes ok with a bit of persuasion from the right foot but today it was ok on natural idle but the tester said it just got worse as the revs rose. He passed it but was puzzled as he knows the car from previous tests. The lambda reading was ok at 1.1 so the AFR seems ok. It seems it's a cat problem at higher revs? It's only used for maybe 10 -15 miles once a year! Do they deteriorate with age and/or lack of use?

JohnD
Old 15 June 2015, 11:10 PM
gazzawrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JohnD
Bolted on the cat section (200cell sport cat) of the Miltek ready for the MOT. It passes ok with a bit of persuasion from the right foot but today it was ok on natural idle but the tester said it just got worse as the revs rose. He passed it but was puzzled as he knows the car from previous tests. The lambda reading was ok at 1.1 so the AFR seems ok. It seems it's a cat problem at higher revs? It's only used for maybe 10 -15 miles once a year! Do they deteriorate with age and/or lack of use?

JohnD
If the lambda was reading 1.1 its a fail, the readings should be roughly between 0.97 and 1.03 for a pass.

Your issue may be due to lack of use if its only covering 10-15 miles a year, assuming its a road car and not a track toy, try giving it a good run down the motorway for about 30 miles.

Last edited by gazzawrx; 15 June 2015 at 11:13 PM.
Old 16 June 2015, 09:42 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the lambda was reading 1.1 its a fail, the readings should be roughly between 0.97 and 1.03 for a pass.

Your issue may be due to lack of use if its only covering 10-15 miles a year, assuming its a road car and not a track toy, try giving it a good run down the motorway for about 30 miles.
Whoops.........typo. Re-checked and it's 1.01 The hydro carbons were highish at 85ppm

JohnD