Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chop my Hawk WRX in for an Audi S4?

Search this Thread

Old 30 April 2015, 11:58 PM
FuZzBoM
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Chop my Hawk WRX in for an Audi S4?

I have had a hankering for a V8 for ages.. I am thinking that if I don't get one soon they will be a thing of the past and my chance would have gone.

Looking around the S4 looks to suit my needs/wants.... BUT.

I would be looking at and older car than my Hawk WRX wagon. In my head I know this should not matter being an Audi but it just seems wrong to pay more for an older car to me.
I also would like a few more creature comforts. I am an ample bloke (6'3 and 16.5 stone) I drive with the seat all the way back and feel a bit enclosed in the wagon.
As much as I love the charm of the impreza they are a bit unrefined. I know this is part of the more 'raw' experience but a bit of comfort is nice lol.

I guess what I want to know is if any of you guys have had an S4 and what are your thoughts in comparison to an impreza?

cheers,
Old 01 May 2015, 07:13 AM
Trinity
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If its just a WRX you own, I would do it.
Old 01 May 2015, 09:16 AM
FuZzBoM
Scooby Regular

It is just a WRX but far from standard.

Exhaust and intake etc. with VF28 turbo running 320bhp and 350lb/ft.
Prodrive springs, prodrive GT1 wheels, Whiteline roll bars front and rear, EBC yellow pads all round and EBC ultimax discs, braided lines with Gulf competition fluid.

and a host of other little tweaks like STi group N top shock mounts and poly bush on gear linkage etc. etc. I have spent a fair amount of money on it as you can see.

If they did an STi wagon I would have gone for it.. but with 2 dogs a saloon is just not usable.

So I doubt the S4 will be much quicker in the real world.. Slightly more BHP than mine but less torque.
That and I doubt other S4 drivers will wave at me lol...
Old 01 May 2015, 02:51 PM
fawor
BANNED

Originally Posted by Trinity
If its just a WRX you own, I would do it.
s4 v8 is better than any sti, japs wish their sti plastic toy could drive like evo or s4 but that never happen
Old 01 May 2015, 03:20 PM
Trinity
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fawor
s4 v8 is better than any sti, japs wish their sti plastic toy could drive like evo or s4 but that never happen
Very true, shame the WRX are even lesser than the STI, and the WRX owners bolt on eBay spoilers.

Last edited by Trinity; 01 May 2015 at 03:22 PM.
Old 01 May 2015, 05:04 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by fawor
Define better?

They are more refined, quieter and more luxurious. So better in terms of driving Miss Daisy, yes. Better in terms of fun and performance? Nope. My mate had a V8 S4, was brand new about 4 years ago. Was a nice car but didn't feel fast at all and was a bit of a barge. The sort of car that you love for a week and then don't see much reason to own it over a diesel variant that's half the price.

If rather go for the older RS4, twin turbo. At least you can breathe on them and make them feel quick.

Trouble is a 320bhp Impreza feels relatively nippy because of the turbo shove. A V8 S4 is smooth and there's no drama, may well be quicker once it gets over 70mph but what use is that? In the real world I'd take placebo turbo shove over just watching the speedo needle effortlessly make its way round to get excited.
Old 01 May 2015, 05:35 PM
Barxy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Totally different cars, cant even compare them. An S4 is like an M3, fast but the car drives itself, although they are nice cars theres no user driver experience in my opinion.
The impreza is a raw, powerful, exhilarating experience, the S4 or M3 type cars are not, they are posers cars they also happen to move quite fast.
Not saying you wont like it, or thats its not a great car because it is, its just totally different to the impreza.

If you are the type of person who loves to drive a scoob, you will probably end up back in one when you get bored of the audi!!
Old 01 May 2015, 05:56 PM
FuZzBoM
Scooby Regular

This is my dilemma.. I love my Impreza (even if it is just a WRX) Most of my time is spent blasting around and having fun. But on long journeys it is a bit of a chore. I have some longish drives planned this year and I am not overly looking forward to them due to the rawness of the impreza.

My previous car was a Vectra GSi 3.2 V6.. nowhere near as much raw pace as the impreza but on a long run you flick the cruise control on and it will waft along at high speeds all day long. very relaxing to drive. Impreza has no cruise control and tends to like to creep up on the speed. That and the road noise and firm ride gets to you in the end.
Granted it is not often I do such journeys so just think do I take the rough with the smooth and just get on with it or fulfil my V8 fantasy before it is too late?!

Looked at RS4/RS6's but I have read horror stories about the gearbox and suspension costing a fortune if they go wrong. That and a set of brakes on an RS6 is getting on for £2k!!! crazy money for consumables.
Old 01 May 2015, 05:59 PM
Trinity
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jameswrx
Define better?

They are more refined, quieter and more luxurious. So better in terms of driving Miss Daisy, yes. Better in terms of fun and performance? Nope. My mate had a V8 S4, was brand new about 4 years ago. Was a nice car but didn't feel fast at all and was a bit of a barge. The sort of car that you love for a week and then don't see much reason to own it over a diesel variant that's half the price.

If rather go for the older RS4, twin turbo. At least you can breathe on them and make them feel quick.

Trouble is a 320bhp Impreza feels relatively nippy because of the turbo shove. A V8 S4 is smooth and there's no drama, may well be quicker once it gets over 70mph but what use is that? In the real world I'd take placebo turbo shove over just watching the speedo needle effortlessly make its way round to get excited.
He was just trolling dude, he didn't mean anything intelligent, he never does!
Old 01 May 2015, 07:18 PM
FuZzBoM
Scooby Regular

The other option is to say the hell with the S4 and get some STi Brembo brakes.. Been very tempted to take the plunge for a while now
Old 01 May 2015, 07:32 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 495 Likes on 339 Posts

have you read about the s4 v8 timing chain issues?

better with a monaro/vxr8 me thinks
Old 01 May 2015, 07:40 PM
Barxy
Scooby Regular

Every car has issues... Dont be off of any car because of common issues.
I say if you have an itch for an s4 then do it, you'll only regret it if you dont !

But im sure you'll be back in an impreza soon!

On the other hand if you can afford an RS4 then do that !
Old 01 May 2015, 08:48 PM
FuZzBoM
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by the shreksta
have you read about the s4 v8 timing chain issues?

better with a monaro/vxr8 me thinks
You had to put a fly in the ointment.. lol

Just goolged it. expect to pay £3k for cam chains to be changed..
engine out job apparently.

I have looked at Monaro's in the past, having 2 doggies though rules that out. vxr8 too much money to spend at the moment.

Another option is a BMW 545i touring M sport but I would rather replacement had AWD
Old 01 May 2015, 08:50 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

The v8 are too smooth power delivery, more good on top end.
You want the b8 onwards 3.0 FSI supercharged one. Now they are quick along with a map they compete with the rs4
Old 01 May 2015, 09:02 PM
FuZzBoM
Scooby Regular

Too new and expensive.. I am tight on buying cars.
Max I would want to spend is £10k.. for me cars lose too much money in the first 5-6 years to be even worth looking at.
Old 01 May 2015, 09:34 PM
Barxy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by FuZzBoM
Too new and expensive.. I am tight on buying cars.
Max I would want to spend is £10k.. for me cars lose too much money in the first 5-6 years to be even worth looking at.
Amen to this.
And please dont buy a 5 series touring... You will fall asleep at the wheel
Old 01 May 2015, 09:51 PM
Dirk Diggler 75
Scooby Regular

Audi's are boring,i should know,i own one.
You have been warned ......
Old 01 May 2015, 10:22 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

You will be bored to tears coming from a WRX to an old S4 saloon. I almost considered it and did lots of research.
Old 01 May 2015, 10:54 PM
FuZzBoM
Scooby Regular

I guess this opens up the eternal debate... What replaces an Impreza? No doubt, bang for buck they are one of the most affordable sporty car.
I do want a bit more refinement in an everyday car and I think that is what has driven my look to change.
Old 01 May 2015, 11:28 PM
ClintUK
Scooby Regular

Was considering S4 Avant for family, but ended up with a Discovery and keeping my ancient Scoob, we now have 2 cars we love.

Cant compare S4 directly with Impreza as didn't get one, just letting you know the compromise thought process I went through.

If you have an itch, scratch it if you can afford to swap but how often do the long drives get you vs enjoyment most of the time?

Rage against the dying of the light, dont Audis come with slippers? (Sorry, couldn't help it.)
Old 02 May 2015, 08:20 AM
goatblower
Scooby Regular

If you want a car that has zero driver involvement & feels like the engine is 10ft ahead of the front wheels every time you understeer into a corner then buy the Audi, if you want a well specced decent drivers car with a V8 then buy an E39 M5, highly regarded as probably the best M5 generation ever made.
Old 02 May 2015, 09:52 AM
mikejenkins
Scooby Regular

I had a 2007 S4 convertible auto for 2 years (i.e. the slowest and heaviest model) and it was a great car - in sport mode the pull from no revs was very impressive and of course it's much nicer than any Subaru inside. We took it around the French and Bavarian alps and it performed extremely well, understeer wasn't a problem when making progress around the hairpins which surprised me. Very nice noise as standard on B7 models.

Timing chain issues are more common on the Pre-06 models by all accounts, mine never rattled but I sold the car at 55K miles. Build quality much better than B8 models. Only issues I had were two broken rear springs.

It's juicy on short trips but the auto has longer gearing so would do 30MPG on a run without too much bother. The manual gearbox is hateful.

It was approximately half as fun to drive as a Turbo 2000 but I would get another in a heartbeat. I replaced it with a TTS which was ****.
Old 02 May 2015, 12:32 PM
Flat4x4-again
Scooby Regular

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Had an S4 Avant with the supercharged 333ps V6. Ironically badged 3.0T on the front wings !

Totally planted, sounded great, silky gearbox, 30mpg on the motorway, 15 going to work. All the usual Audi pluses with all the usual Audi character criticisms.
Old 02 May 2015, 12:55 PM
Trinity
Scooby Regular

The thing is with Audis, BMW's etc, they lack soul.

I own an Audi A3 Quattro Black Edition now, lovely place to be in, but absolutely no character at all. I wouldnt say build quality is better than Subarus, the 'finish' might be, but definitely not the quality. The Audi forums are littered with cars going wrong, Subarus and Japanese cars just are better made (unless it went through Cheshire Performance at some point)

VAG used to have the reliability nailed to a tea, but it went wrong at some point, they started becoming less reliable. I have owned five VAG cars, and my family a lot more. They have since turned their back on them after reliability issues.

I imagine one day in a VAG boardroom meeting they realised they where not making enough on parts so decided , say like Apple, to put a 'lifespan' on their parts, thus increasing not only part sales but also new car purchases as buyers become to understand that there cars only last two to three years till money needs to be spent.

The Germans have managed the asthetics, but they have not been able to inject soul into their cars.

Live with the crummy Subaru interior, and know you are in a tank.
Old 02 May 2015, 05:30 PM
FuZzBoM
Scooby Regular

Having just spent the whole day trying to get the thermostat off my Mrs Audi A2 to find the supplied bits are totally incorrect I am not keen on Audi's at present..
Before anyone doubts my spanner abilities I have done ALL the work on my Hawk from wheel bearings and shocks to fitting the bigger turbo with minimal issues.

Why is (or what should be) a simple consumable part almost impossible to do yourself?! Bloody Germans.. lol

Anyway, rant over.. Back to topic.
Fuel economy does not concern me. I get 15-16mpg on my wagon round town and 25-28 on a run.
Finish of the interior does not worry me too much, more about the lack of cabin space is my issue.

Always had a thing for beefy saloon cars. I think it stems from the Lotus Carlton and then the Volvo T5 in touring cars.
Old 02 May 2015, 06:39 PM
mikejenkins
Scooby Regular

The B7 S4 has a very spacious cabin so you should be OK there. Rear space is not so good if that is an issue but smallish adults are fine.
Old 03 May 2015, 09:16 AM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Trinity
The thing is with Audis, BMW's etc, they lack soul.

I own an Audi A3 Quattro Black Edition now, lovely place to be in, but absolutely no character at all. I wouldnt say build quality is better than Subarus, the 'finish' might be, but definitely not the quality. The Audi forums are littered with cars going wrong, Subarus and Japanese cars just are better made (unless it went through Cheshire Performance at some point)

VAG used to have the reliability nailed to a tea, but it went wrong at some point, they started becoming less reliable. I have owned five VAG cars, and my family a lot more. They have since turned their back on them after reliability issues.

I imagine one day in a VAG boardroom meeting they realised they where not making enough on parts so decided , say like Apple, to put a 'lifespan' on their parts, thus increasing not only part sales but also new car purchases as buyers become to understand that there cars only last two to three years till money needs to be spent.

The Germans have managed the asthetics, but they have not been able to inject soul into their cars.

Live with the crummy Subaru interior, and know you are in a tank.
1. It's basically fwd so not surprised you can get any joy out of it.
2. Probably a diesel too

I quite like my b8 avant as a family car, and it does actually go well round the B roads if I'm in a mood, so win win IMO, nice place to be and capable.
Old 03 May 2015, 09:28 AM
mikejenkins
Scooby Regular

I will say that the modern Haldex is pretty good - on my TTS it was immediately apparent when the pump failed (at 24k miles) as it started torque steering and spinning the front wheels all the time. There was none of this when it was working properly and it was like any other 4WD car.
Old 03 May 2015, 09:41 AM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Just general driving involving sinarios really, coming out of junctions, from start etc, the very modern ones may be better but still 90% fwd.
The t3 Torsen 60/40 split mimicks a rear wheel drive with balanced grip.
Oh and improved space in the rear of the b8 is a plus too.
Was thinking about getting a b8.5 s4 but I don't think I could own the same car again (like to have a change, but I'm limited with the options I want).

The difference between longitude and transversal set ups and just too different in terms of drive and feel IMO.

Last edited by bustaMOVEs; 03 May 2015 at 09:45 AM.