WRX 03 opinions

Search this Thread

Old 26 January 2015, 11:50 PM
Scoobhunt
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WRX 03 opinions

Hi all scooby owner,

I'm new to the forum. I'm thinking about buying a WRX as my second car.

Came across this ads in Autotrader today.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201501250429571/sort/atcustom/postcode/ng92sw/radius/1500/make/SUBARU/model/impreza/page/1/usedcars

Did anyone from here know the history of this car? The price advertised is quite good to me. Planning to view it as soon as possible.

Hope you guys could give me some opinions about this car.

**sorry for my English. I'm Malaysian.

**if i'm in the wrong section, please guide me to the suitable section.

Thanks.
Old 26 January 2015, 11:58 PM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Get an STI
Old 27 January 2015, 12:00 AM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

i think it seems OK, maybe the price is a little high but you are getting the brembo brakes which are a very good upgrade over the stock WRX brakes.

I would be checking the service history in detail to see when the cam belt and spark plugs were last changed.
Old 27 January 2015, 12:48 AM
scoobygeezer
Scooby Newbie

check for rust on rear arches (take a magnet),
Old 27 January 2015, 06:33 AM
Scoobhunt
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by thenewgalaxy
Get an STI
Would love to get an STi, but couldnt afford..😂
Old 27 January 2015, 06:37 AM
Scoobhunt
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by bludgod
i think it seems OK, maybe the price is a little high but you are getting the brembo brakes which are a very good upgrade over the stock WRX brakes.

I would be checking the service history in detail to see when the cam belt and spark plugs were last changed.
That is what i was thinking, Brembo brakes and BC coilover, yes i will check the history in details since the owner said the car got full service history. Thanks for the input.
Old 27 January 2015, 06:37 AM
Scoobhunt
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by scoobygeezer
check for rust on rear arches (take a magnet),
Good idea. Thanks mate.
Old 27 January 2015, 07:09 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

First of all, Welcome and secondly, your English is is better than half the people on this Forum.

The car seems like a reasonable deal considering the mods, it's probably going to be due for a cambelt change judging by the miles in around 8k miles, I wouldn't let that put me off providing the last one was carried out roughly on time, Subarus don't generally eat cambelts although they do have the very occasional tensioner or pully bearing failure.

I'd want to know about any mods and if they were mapped for and also who did the mapping, so a long slow look over the paperwork is in order.

Appart from that the only thing I don't like about it is the black scoop, but that's easily remedied.

Happy hunting and don't rush into a purchase, make sure everything is in order before you part with your cash.
Old 27 January 2015, 08:36 AM
fawor
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes don't rush with a purchase.
Powerwrx should tell you something about it.
Save and get sti.
Old 27 January 2015, 09:08 AM
Scoobhunt
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
First of all, Welcome and secondly, your English is is better than half the people on this Forum.

The car seems like a reasonable deal considering the mods, it's probably going to be due for a cambelt change judging by the miles in around 8k miles, I wouldn't let that put me off providing the last one was carried out roughly on time, Subarus don't generally eat cambelts although they do have the very occasional tensioner or pully bearing failure.

I'd want to know about any mods and if they were mapped for and also who did the mapping, so a long slow look over the paperwork is in order.

Appart from that the only thing I don't like about it is the black scoop, but that's easily remedied.

Happy hunting and don't rush into a purchase, make sure everything is in order before you part with your cash.
Thanks sir!
I'll check the history wether its got cambelt change or not. Spoke to the owner, he said the car had been remapped. Will ask more details about it when i see him probably this afternoon.

I also dont like the black scoop but i think it easily can be repainted. So not a problem to me.

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 27 January 2015, 09:13 AM
Scoobhunt
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by fawor
Yes don't rush with a purchase.
Powerwrx should tell you something about it.
Save and get sti.
I knew wrx power is much lower compared to STi, an STi have a lot more goodies and i agree that buying an STi is more worthy.. But then hands and legs were itchy to drive and sit in the impreza .. Lol..
Old 27 January 2015, 09:41 AM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

The WRX is a fine car in its own right. I've owned one for the last 12 (how time flies) years, from new.

As standard, it's a bit soft and wooly suspension-wise (though this can be a good thing, depending on your preference (it's still not particularly comfortable, but softer than an STI)), but that's easily remediated if that is your preference.

People complain about the brakes on the WRX, but personally I never had any problems with them. They're not up to track driving, but on the road I never had any incidents with them. One thing to note is that the brake pedal is not over-servo assisted like on some other modern cars.

With a remap, the WRX will push in the region of 280hp, and the gearbox and other components are usually fine at this level.

Edit: as the car you're looking at has already had the brakes and suspension changed, it might IMO be a good bet. The newer BC coil overs should work a lot better than a worn out standard STI suspension.

Last edited by Henrik; 27 January 2015 at 09:43 AM.
Old 27 January 2015, 09:59 AM
mozzerscoob
Scooby Regular

Hi and welcome to the fold. As everyone has said don't rush into anything and make sure everything seems fine before handing over cash. Again the subject has cropped up STI or WRX ? I believe it's down to personal choice and uses of the car. I personally own a 2005 blob WRX with supporting mods running at roughly 315 BHP mapped by Mark at TD Racing for everyday use and it's perfect , comfortable , reliable and f*****g quick. My dad on the other hand has a 2005 blob STI and yes although it has more goodies cannot be used everyday as it's uncomfortable and don't seem to like everyday congested roads with its heavy clutch and rock hard suspension always mapped but by Bob Rawle. I guess I'm saying choose what's practical for your uses and you're intentions for the car and don't get hung up on the STI badge
Old 27 January 2015, 10:08 AM
pflowers
Scooby Regular

WRX is a far better daily driver than an STI.

But don't buy a standard one and expect too much, they feel quicker than they actually are due to the turbo surge and superb grip, handling is also a bit soggy.

IMO chuck £1k at a standard WRX and you will have a very capable car that is still perfectly fine as a daily.
Old 27 January 2015, 10:22 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by pflowers

But don't buy a standard one and expect too much, they feel quicker than they actually are due to the turbo surge and superb grip, handling is also a bit soggy.

IMO chuck £1k at a standard WRX and you will have a very capable car that is still perfectly fine as a daily.
The one he's looking at has already had the money spent in the right places, although I'm not a fan of coilovers on a daily driver and have just fitted PCA Dynamics Wagon specific springs on the standard shocks to mine and it's transformed the handling and kept the ride acceptable for daily use.
Old 27 January 2015, 11:12 AM
Scoobhunt
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the feedback guys.

As for me, i dont really mind wether its WRX or STi (off course deep in my heart STi would be the choice, but its all depends on budget). I also dont mind about the power (hopefully), 220hp-240hp should be enough for me (again hopefully). In the meant time, maybe WRX would the right for me in order to experience Boxer engine. In the future, if I need something more powerful, then i might consider to go for STi model.

The car probably used for weekend only since i have another car for my daily used. And maybe took her for trackdays once in a while.
Old 27 January 2015, 11:15 AM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

if your looking to add a little more poke to it, check out the andy forrest site as a bit of a shopping list:
http://www.andyforrestperformance.co.uk/58901.html

260hp is a good bump up from standard and the midrange increase in torque is great, plus you can buy an openport lead for 100 quid or so and do the map yourself
Old 27 January 2015, 11:30 AM
pflowers
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
The one he's looking at has already had the money spent in the right places, although I'm not a fan of coilovers on a daily driver and have just fitted PCA Dynamics Wagon specific springs on the standard shocks to mine and it's transformed the handling and kept the ride acceptable for daily use.
I couldn't get the link to work, but sounds ideal if it has the right mods already.

A tweaked WRX is a very capable car, IMO better than a stock STI, if you want to more then obviously the STI is a better base to work from.
Old 27 January 2015, 07:37 PM
Norman Dog
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by pflowers

I'd have to agree with that. the WRX is a more comfortable everyday car.

The STi is however, a better performance car.

Old 28 January 2015, 09:36 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I have a JDM WRX Blob with a Bob Rawle remap, new suspension and some tweaks, it does the job very well.