Sponsored by:

Old or new - comparisons (?)

Search this Thread

Old 09 May 2001, 11:46 AM
Dragon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hey people...been a while since I've been over to this BB..

...a quick question please.

I'm looking around for my next buy (currently RS ) and would like to know about the older types/models of subaru and what I could buy with a budget of £10K.

Any suggestions or opinions would be appreciated.

Jim.
Old 09 May 2001, 02:20 PM
Dragon
Scooby Regular

Is anyone going to help me on this?
Old 09 May 2001, 02:55 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Talking

No expert and stand to be corrected but here goes.

Middle aged WRX import 280 BHP

Older STi (I or II, maybee even III) 280 BHP, rev to 8000rpm

Middle aged UK spec Turbo, 208BHP MY96-97

Advantages and disadvantages?

Depends who you ask. This may upset or cause a big debate amongstothers on the board

UK cars can have service history and dealer support. Cheaper insurance and no fuel grade problems.

Imports, especially the STi's could have no service history, expensive insurance and require SUL or higher to run at their best. They only produce 280BHP on 100ron fuel

Basically, there are fans of each type and it depends on whether you are a risk taker. Bigger risks, better car. IMHO.

Steve

PS I've got a MY01 on order so no one likes my car.

PPS Try
Old 09 May 2001, 03:54 PM
Tractor
Scooby Regular

Agree pretty much, except you won't get an STI3 for 10k

Scoobs were facelifted for the MY97, so you won't find an Sti at that vintage and price, but probably a wrx or UK car if you haggle.

This was the first year that the UK cars got decent seats I think (may be wrong there).

Pre MY97, wrx had 240-260bhp, UKs had 208Bhp, and the only model with the full 276BHP was the Sti2 (pre-facelift) which should be in your budget.

It is true that the earlier Japanese cars come with little or no history from Japan (a product of their car market, and not necessarily dodgy dealing, as some would say with a knee-jerk )

WRX and Sti:
PROS - faster and better equipped than UK cars, generally lower mileage
CONS - must be run on SUL, worse MPG than UK cars, can't service them at Official Subaru dealers, some have dodgy history

UK scoobs
PROS - can run on NUL, serviceable at UK dealers, more have definite history
Cons - See Japanese Pros, and they can still have dodgy history, many have high mileage

The truth is that with the cars in your price range, all, UK and Japanese, may have a hidden history that you cannot uncover. So, do an HPI check, and get the car looked at by an expert.

Hope this helps, + if you've got a bit extra cash, you can have my STI3

Mike
Old 09 May 2001, 04:34 PM
Dragon
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the help guys - I was beginning to think you all hated RS'ers and snubbed me there for a minute

So, basically it looks like a UK model would be a better option for insurance purposes and running costs etc, but at a cost of -30bhp+.

I have a budget of 10K and am looking at alternatives to the old faithful Cosworth's which has brought me to this BB and the 'questions' that I've asked.

Another question is the 'reliability' factor and the bad press that Subaru's have faced time and time again - is this a general thing or only applicable to upgraded/modified cars ??

Again any advise and information would be much appreciated.

Mike, nice try, but if you can get around the Mrs, then there will be a beer in it too

Old 09 May 2001, 04:53 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Just as a pointer about the different models have a look at these sites:
Old 09 May 2001, 05:02 PM
Blackscooby
Scooby Regular

I've owned a UK94 for going on 3 years now. The only things which have gone wrong with it are because of my stupidity. Basically its a car which spent a full season doing Harewood Hillclimb.

The main expenditure was a blown piston (replaced with forged items) and a gearbox which ended up a box full of assorted metal pieces. The engine blew cos we increased the boost to 2bar...but jeeeeeeeeeesss was it quick.

Box went as it was trying to cope with 2bar of boost on full 5500rpm standing starts.

Now running a modest 1.3bar (19PSI),and touch wood its reliable.

Its only run on SUL or NUL plus Millers CVL, but consumes it at a rate of 18MPG on a good day.

Modified as it is with APEXI Boost management / Fuel management, BoV, mongoose Decat Exhaust, Cosworth Pistons, Group A metal gaskets...60K on the clock. It ain't worth much at all even though I've replaced most things in sight within the last 12 months.

Loads of charactor....can't think what my choices would be when I come to sell it

Back to an old Audi Quattro Turbo I think.

Mark
Old 09 May 2001, 05:04 PM
GavM
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Buy mine (96 UK FSSH)-see the private section!
Old 09 May 2001, 05:20 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton
Talking

Just to ease your mind about reliability, bear in mind the Impreza has rated very high in the JD Power surveys of recent times (although I don't know where it came this year). With your budget the cars you'll likely to be looking at will be 4-5 years old, maybe younger if you don't mind high miles - these cars were No.1 JDP if I'm not mistaken.

EVO mag did a buyers guide on UK models a while back, as did Performance car (alas no more).

Basically you won't go too far wrong as long as your heart doesn't rule your head. Its a buyers market at the moment, so bide your time, do your research and drive as many examples as poss before you buy.

Good luck and welcome aboard

Justin
Old 10 May 2001, 09:18 AM
Dragon
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the help peeps, I am in no hurry and so intend on doing some serious research before firstly making my decision and then having a good look around.

Are any of you in the Hampshire area?

What are the basic things to look out for when buying these or is it a case of just applying the norm?

Jim.