Sponsored by:

Thinking of a spec c

Search this Thread

Old 09 December 2014, 01:01 AM
M2RTXhawkeye
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Thinking of a spec c

Guys what are your thoughts on a spec c? Would it be an ok every day drive would love to hear from those who have one and what they think of them...

Also modifications you've done to them... Being a limited car I suspect not much needs changing. It's either a blob widetrack or a spec c I'm looking at so all comments appreciated

Martin
Old 09 December 2014, 01:26 AM
Suberman
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by M2RTXbugeye
Guys what are your thoughts on a spec c? Would it be an ok every day drive would love to hear from those who have one and what they think of them...

Also modifications you've done to them... Being a limited car I suspect not much needs changing. It's either a blob widetrack or a spec c I'm looking at so all comments appreciated

Martin
Hi Martin,

You can definitely run it everyday, but it also depends on your tolerance towards compromising for performance.

Let's be honest, it's not the most user-friendly car out of the box. There is no underseal, very little soundproofing, depends on mode (some came without power windows and aircon), no boot carpet and there's no way to open the boot from inside the car.

Obviously, some of the above can be rectified, but there are more user-friendly daily cars such as the regular JDM STI for example, which has pretty much the same engine and gearbox, but with less compromise.

As you said, it's already a pretty special car, I wouldn't modify it much.

Regards
Errol
Old 09 December 2014, 07:05 AM
BBB3
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi,

I have a hawk eye spec c and I agree with Eroll

I have a exhaust / filter and I'm 350bhp which in one of these is fast!
A well put together car from factory.

Last edited by BBB3; 09 December 2014 at 07:06 AM.
Old 09 December 2014, 08:03 AM
huzzy1
Scooby Regular

I had a Hawkeye Spec C,sold it for a 22B and now I'm back in a Hawkeye Spec C Type RA, twin scroll is the way forward.

Luckily enough for me my cars aren't every day cars but it would be easy to live with if it was.
Old 09 December 2014, 08:13 AM
M2RTXhawkeye
Scooby Regular

Appreaciate all the replies guys.. So the spec c had an optional twin scroll? I'm debating between a spec and a Sti blob widetrack/jdm... Like the idea of the dccd, stronger engine and Jdm gearing.. One Id be like for would have to have the electrics etc as a daily I think Id need some of the essentials.

On the other hand if bought a blob sti I could tinker with it and it would de value the car... Are the spec c's worth the premium? Hurst cars has one for sale

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/subaru/impreza-sti/jdm-wrx-sti-spec-c-only-39k/3157637

Thoughts on this one please

Martin
Old 09 December 2014, 09:02 AM
WRXrowdy
Scooby Regular

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

Think all jdm blob STIs are twin scroll.
If you want all the toys get one of those, spec c is meant to be pretty hard core for a reason.
Also, check what brakes are on the spec c, some came with the WRX four pots, sometimes described as rally spec four pots. I think these cars originally came with that set up and 16" steel wheels, because they were intended for rallying and the brakes and wheels would be swapped out anyway. I wouldn't want to run one on the road with WRX brakes.
Old 09 December 2014, 09:19 AM
M2RTXhawkeye
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WRXrowdy
Think all jdm blob STIs are twin scroll.
If you want all the toys get one of those, spec c is meant to be pretty hard core for a reason.
Also, check what brakes are on the spec c, some came with the WRX four pots, sometimes described as rally spec four pots. I think these cars originally came with that set up and 16" steel wheels, because they were intended for rallying and the brakes and wheels would be swapped out anyway. I wouldn't want to run one on the road with WRX brakes.
Yes I've seen a few different specs, ideally I'd be looking at one which comes with the Brembo brakes, elec windows.. Wish there was someone who owned one closer to me so I could get a feel. Like the idea of the rawness of a spec c.. Just don't want to make a mistake and regret it afterwards

Martin
Old 09 December 2014, 09:45 AM
huzzy1
Scooby Regular

You won't regret it buddy!!!
Old 09 December 2014, 09:56 AM
AS Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

only the original Bug-eye STi's are single scroll JDM wise............

everything from JDM Blob-eye STi and newer including all Spec-C's are twin scroll...........

and obviously all are 2.0 engine wise - only US and Europe got the 2.5's
Old 09 December 2014, 10:12 AM
gussy
Scooby Regular

Location: oop north in a spec-c.Now sold and starting on a classic ra track/sprint/road car
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by M2RTXbugeye

Martin
Martin has to have been the best car I have ever owned spec-c hawkeye type RA regret selling it but need's changed for me as I wanted to build a dedicated track car mine was bought from litchfields running a litchfield turbo bigger injectors remap decat etc etc was running 415/398 was balistic on the road and track and was an everyday driver.get one you will not regret it
Old 09 December 2014, 10:38 AM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Personally I wouldn't, although I have never owned a Spec C so you are welcome to disregard my opinion. I just feel it's too special to bang the miles on. I'd get a JDM STI instead.

If you were only doing 10 - 20 miles a day then maybe, but anymore and I would rule it out. Don't forget the fuel tank is tiny too. Plus big miles will mean replacement parts needed sooner, such as shocks etc. and they are going to be a pain to get hold of I'd think?
Old 09 December 2014, 11:45 AM
frayz
Essex Area Moderator
Support Scoobynet!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get one Mart, if I were using it every day I'd just buy a boot carpet so not to scratch the paint. Superb car, and no disrespect, so much better package than what you have in the bugeye. I think you'd really enjoy it.

Your call dude.
Old 09 December 2014, 11:50 AM
M2RTXhawkeye
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AS Performance
only the original Bug-eye STi's are single scroll JDM wise............

everything from JDM Blob-eye STi and newer including all Spec-C's are twin scroll...........

and obviously all are 2.0 engine wise - only US and Europe got the 2.5's
In your opinion Al are the parts harder to source then those for the normal imprezas?

Originally Posted by gussy
Martin has to have been the best car I have ever owned spec-c hawkeye type RA regret selling it but need's changed for me as I wanted to build a dedicated track car mine was bought from litchfields running a litchfield turbo bigger injectors remap decat etc etc was running 415/398 was balistic on the road and track and was an everyday driver.get one you will not regret it
Always said once the bug goes I will have one... Ticks all the boxes for me. I like to put my own stamp on my cars but unsure about the spec c as its probably not a car you buy to modify...

Originally Posted by Jay Cartay
Personally I wouldn't, although I have never owned a Spec C so you are welcome to disregard my opinion. I just feel it's too special to bang the miles on. I'd get a JDM STI instead.

If you were only doing 10 - 20 miles a day then maybe, but anymore and I would rule it out. Don't forget the fuel tank is tiny too. Plus big miles will mean replacement parts needed sooner, such as shocks etc. and they are going to be a pain to get hold of I'd think?
Cheers jay, well Id be doing around 2-3 miles max a day... That and ive still fornrhe foz to take out now n then so in that respect I think it's safe to say the spec c wouldt be used that much.. Jdm Sti is the other option...

What's the going prices for both the spec c and jdm Sti?

Martin
Old 09 December 2014, 11:52 AM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

You will love it Mart, Maz has a jdm with a sc42 with a mild tune and its always a pleasure to drive it. Worlds apart from the uk car of which i have now driven a few at versions states of tune, I would put a video clip up of maz's car on the dyno but you should not need anymore convinving
Old 09 December 2014, 12:11 PM
huzzy1
Scooby Regular

The RA at Hurst Cars will tick all the boxes you'd ever need.
Old 09 December 2014, 12:27 PM
plenty
Scooby Regular

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay Cartay
Don't forget the fuel tank is tiny too.
Sadly that's the deal-breaker for me, for the sort of usage I want the car for (mainly long road trips). A 50 ltr tank only gives you about 100 miles effective range when making progress - not good when in the middle of the Scottish Highlands or the Spanish desert.

A shame as the Spec C is so desirable in every other way. I suppose I could fit a fuel cell in the boot, but on balance I think the non-Spec C JDM with the 60-litre tank is the way forward (for me...of course my requirements are somewhat unusual.)
Old 09 December 2014, 01:16 PM
fawor
BANNED

Take spec c limited, i will try twin scroll but will definitely would swap it for single, im after kick and cornering , don't care about track times.
Old 09 December 2014, 01:19 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by fawor
Take spec c limited, i will try twin scroll but will definitely would swap it for single, im after kick and cornering , don't care about track times.
No one cares what you want
Old 09 December 2014, 01:27 PM
BBB3
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I done 368 miles on a run, with 1 tank and a quarter
Old 09 December 2014, 02:00 PM
M2RTXhawkeye
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by frayz
Get one Mart, if I were using it every day I'd just buy a boot carpet so not to scratch the paint. Superb car, and no disrespect, so much better package than what you have in the bugeye. I think you'd really enjoy it.

Your call dude.
Cheers Frayz... Ye that's my thinking too. Always had a soft spot for a spec c so guess I won't know untill I try it. Sold the bug now to a mate of mine so on the look out now...

Originally Posted by banny sti
You will love it Mart, Maz has a jdm with a sc42 with a mild tune and its always a pleasure to drive it. Worlds apart from the uk car of which i have now driven a few at versions states of tune, I would put a video clip up of maz's car on the dyno but you should not need anymore convinving
Thanks banny... You know a lot more than me about these cars in your opinion which one should I look out for? Ideally in white

Originally Posted by huzzy1
The RA at Hurst Cars will tick all the boxes you'd ever need.
Seen that one although very nice have my heart set on white, will need electrics etc too... Being a daily need that comfort

Appreciate any links to any you guys can find, will message max at hurst too

Martin

Last edited by M2RTXhawkeye; 09 December 2014 at 02:04 PM.
Old 09 December 2014, 02:16 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

IMHO you will be happy with either. If you go for a blob then yes the spec c is a little more special however the further along the timeline you get the differences become very small between the sti and the spec c.

My ideal would be a white hawk jdm sti, they look awesome If you want to stick with a blob then I would look for a spec c as it is raw and a little more driver focused compared to the regular sti
Old 09 December 2014, 02:22 PM
AS Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

difference in an extra 10ltr tank range makes no difference IMO if you really are doing 2mile/ltr ??

Martin never had any issue sourcing parts for many Subaru's, Spec-C included we can arrange most
Old 09 December 2014, 02:49 PM
plenty
Scooby Regular

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by AS Performance
difference in an extra 10ltr tank range makes no difference IMO if you really are doing 2mile/ltr ??
Enough to make a useful difference on the trips I do, where the distance between fuel stops typically ranges from 75 miles to 130 miles and the extra 10 litres makes the difference between enjoying the stint to its fullest extent versus having to back off because you're worried about running dry (not to mention some people advise not running an EJ20 on less than about one quarter of a tank - might be an old wives' tale of course).

I've been on two road trips with Spec Cs (both hawkeyes) running close to standard power, one to Wales and one to Scotland, and in both cases they were running low at the 100 mile mark and had to crawl to the next fuel stop.
Old 09 December 2014, 02:54 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by plenty
Enough to make a useful difference on the trips I do, where the distance between fuel stops typically ranges from 75 miles to 130 miles and the extra 10 litres makes the difference between enjoying the stint to its fullest extent versus having to back off because you're worried about running dry (not to mention some people advise not running an EJ20 on less than about one quarter of a tank - might be an old wives' tale of course).

I've been on two road trips with Spec Cs (both hawkeyes) running close to standard power, one to Wales and one to Scotland, and in both cases they were running low at the 100 mile mark and had to crawl to the next fuel stop.
The spec c has the anti surge tank but if you're driving that enthusiastically that fuel surge is a worry, then I would preemptively fit a swirl pot and not worry about it. Also there is nothing stopping you swapping over to a standard 60ltr tank, if the spec c is the one for you....
Old 09 December 2014, 10:24 PM
apac
Scooby Regular

200 miles off a spec c tank unless you are kaning it. My experience on a 2003 limited with 50L tank. Great cars which people rarely take to the limit when driving.
Old 09 December 2014, 10:47 PM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I've got a Spec C RA in the form of an S202, single scroll engine obviously. It's sublime on back roads.

Quite uncompromising compared to a modern German saloon but there's nothing that will prohibitively stop you from using it as a daily driver. The ride is firm and it's quite noisy but there is something quite comforting in the way you feel so connected to the car because of it.

IMO the most annoying thing is the very short ratios. It really tests my patience on any kind of motorway journey longer than a couple of junctions, and you can literally see the fuel gauge going down at any kind of good speed.
Old 09 December 2014, 11:00 PM
Rbon91
Scooby Regular

Hi mate as you know I have a UK wide track. Not sure if you have seen but at the SOCOM meet rick has the JDM wide track which is twinscroll. IMO I would go for the Jdm wide track best standard scooby I have driven.. had a go in a spec c there great but if you want to mod it then it will ruin value etc.. nothing like the feel of a twinscroll scoob can sit back and relax quite comfy with standard suspension..

Ryan
Old 10 December 2014, 08:54 AM
M2RTXhawkeye
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the replies guys

On the look out then for either a twin scroll spec c or jdm Sti... I know if I bought the spec c it would just be suspension mods and an over all tidy up if the appearance... Jdm Sti I could modifiy to make it quicker and more daily friendly. As for the fuel tank that's not an issue I very rarely drive the car hard and motorways isn't often either. If you guys see anything point me in the right direction please

Martin
Old 10 December 2014, 09:03 AM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

I know its blue but keenly priced

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifie...--2003/3165914
Old 10 December 2014, 10:31 AM
M2RTXhawkeye
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by banny sti