Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New member after a Scoob! Opinions required!

Search this Thread

Old 06 October 2014, 10:39 PM
MrSamiG
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member after a Scoob! Opinions required!

Hi all,

I'm new here, been having a browse about for a while so thought I'd sign up! I'm in the market for a Scoob and becoming a bit overwhelmed by all the options of different models so I thought I'd get some knowledgeable advice here!

What I've worked out so far is that I want a blobeye or a hawkeye STI just because they're the best looking models IMO and both kinda fit within my top end budget. I realise the blobs have a 2.0l turbo and the Hawks have a 2.5l turbo is there any particular advantages/disadvantages? Also I notice the later blobs are a "widetrack" model with a DCCD... Is this seen as a favourable model over the previous earlier ones? I'm also hoping to scout a PPP variant for the added extras.

Aside from that, I'm clueless... There's obviously other models within the two shapes but is there any others I should be looking out for? I've got my heart set on blue so that kind of rules out the RB320's too...! Any help will be appreciated :-)

My budget is £10-12.5k and the car will be used for every day use.

Last edited by MrSamiG; 06 October 2014 at 10:45 PM. Reason: Didn't finish post
Old 06 October 2014, 10:43 PM
angel1368
Scooby Regular

give us your budget and what car will be mostly used for
Old 06 October 2014, 10:45 PM
Markfey
Scooby Regular

Welcome and.......

The following is all my opinion and will be argued but the most unbiased advice I can give is to go out there and test drive the cars you like and see how you feel about them.

The 2.5 engine has a lot of failures which is well documented. The Jdm models go for more money for a very good reason.

My personal opinion would be to look out for a Jdm blob. That way you'd end up with the best car for your money.

You'll need to tell us a little bit more on your budget and insurance capabilities but hopefully more will follow with some 'good' advice.
Old 06 October 2014, 10:47 PM
MrSamiG
Scooby Regular

My budget is around £10-£12.5k and insurance is no problem as I have full NCB and am 26. I've looked in to quotes for Prodrive STI's and all seems to be good :-)

What benefits do the JDM models offer? I've seen a few for sale but not noticed any difference in spec?
Old 06 October 2014, 11:30 PM
LuckyWelshchap
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MrSamiG
My budget is around £10-£12.5k and insurance is no problem as I have full NCB and am 26. I've looked in to quotes for Prodrive STI's and all seems to be good :-)

What benefits do the JDM models offer? I've seen a few for sale but not noticed any difference in spec?
Hi mate and welcome along.

The long and short of it is that JDMs have an engine that is not only proven performance-wise but doesn't have any question marks about it. (See sticky at top of 'ScoobyNet General' page '2.5 engine failures' iIrc).

People factor in a few thousand for the possibility that the engine will go. Since that doesn't happen with a JDM (people don't feel the need to make that assumption) JDMs are more expensive.

Don't forget however that you can have a dog of a respected car/model.
If anything takes your fancy put it up on here and get loads of advice on what to check for, questions to ask of the seller etc.
Old 06 October 2014, 11:37 PM
MrSamiG
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the info dude... I never realised the 2.5's were so prone to failure 😱

Is there anything the JDM models lack over the UK spec cars at all? I'm also a little sceptical about import motors as their history can often be a little vague and unaccounted for!

Here are a couple of links of a few models that caught my eye recently... Unfortunately they have all sold but these are the kind of specs I've been looking at...

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/subaru/impreza-sti/subaru-impreza-sti-type-uk-dccd-widetrack-model-only-20-000-miles/2855482

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/subaru/impreza-sti/--31000-miles--ppp-subaru-impreza-sti-type-uk/986331

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/subaru/impreza-sti/subaru-impreza-wrx-sti-type-uk/2863369

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/subaru/impreza-sti/05-55-impreza-sti-hawkeye-absolutely-immaculate-showcar-example-with-only-36-000-miles-and-fsh---sorry-now-sold/2842221
Old 07 October 2014, 12:03 AM
LuckyWelshchap
Scooby Regular

Generally speaking JDMs have more features than UK - rear windscreen wiper is one that springs to mind.
Possibly powered folding door mirrors (?).

The Japanese are more fussy about their standards, so the cars are made to cater for that, hence 'higher spec'.

When buying a car as much service history as possible is useful, if not a major consideration. I'd say with an import you simply add things like date of import, importer, UK remap (lower RON here, so vital) and clock change (to miles, not km) to the list.

With your budget you can afford to be a little choosy, and you're probably in the realms of having a look a cars from dealers with a good reputation.
Old 07 October 2014, 02:48 PM
oliver dufresne
Scooby Regular

Welcome to the forum.
This is the third one today I think on this subject, must all the hubub about how bad diesel fumes are, or that impreza's are great cars?
3 different types to look at, and they all have pro's and cons.
2.0 UK/ 2.0 JDM/ 2.5UK.
I have owned a blobeye 2.0 WRX and now have a blobeye 2.0JDM STI.

My experience is STI impreza's are great as second cars, because you worry less about the costs of running it, which will be painful if you are running about in them all the time.
So if its a daily all the time car I would look at a 2.0 WRX. The reason is it is easier to drive, and you can get some reasonable fuel economy. I would certainly consider an exhaust upgrade and some re-mapping to release more power and better performance all round.

I have only had a JDM STI 2.0 not a UK one.
The JDM STI really comes on over 3000 revs and it is intense the more it goes up the rev range, it just flies, you have to have your wits about you when it gets up to that rev range. It is the full performance car experience, but in a practical 4 door guise.
It is also great to drive around pootling about, cornering and bends especially, in fact this is more fun than the power thing, it is very responsive. Not such a good cruising car, as the gear ratios are shorter than any of the other impreza's, it is really designed to get up to speed quickly and stay there.
So with this in mind, it is not a relaxing drive. But you being 26 you probably dont want 'relaxing' drive. Just be careful, because it is high octane stuff, when you get up the rev range, and you need to be sensible about it.
Good luck anyway and keep asking the questions.
Old 07 October 2014, 03:47 PM
Trinity
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Similar questions being asked...again, supporting the census for Blob JDM STI's (or Hawk JDM STI's if your wallet can afford it)

https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...a-new-car.html

There are a lot differences, to name a few

DCCD on pre 2004 cars, standard on all after
Xenon headlights
Rear Wiper (the best thing ever on an Impreza)
Auto Intercooler spray
Nitraded crank
Twinscroll turbo charger (quick spool, no lag, torquey)
Electric power fold mirrors
Defi Style sweep clocks
Higher red line
Tinted rear privacy glass
Clutch start and reversing beep
Shorter gear ratios

the standard red/pink JDM STI suspension is excellent and dosent wallow as much as the UK spec ones (but still suffers creaky rear shock syndrome)

As an everyday, point to point car, it is far superior, but its quick and youll get used to changing gear quickly, instead of a UK car, where all the boost comes on at once later in the rev range.

Drive them both, you will see the difference, and you will know which one to purchase
Old 07 October 2014, 05:15 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

My mate is thinking of selling his 43k mile WR blue JDM hawk STi but its at the top of your budget of £12.5k. got AP 6 pot brakes, Rota wheels, and a few other mods!!!
Old 07 October 2014, 05:17 PM
Trinity
Scooby Regular

that would be a good price for a 43K Hawk JDM!
Old 07 October 2014, 05:22 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Trinity
that would be a good price for a 43K Hawk JDM!
Clean car, goes like the clappers too!!
Old 07 October 2014, 05:38 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

JDM Yo
Old 07 October 2014, 05:42 PM
MrSamiG
Scooby Regular

Thanks for your reply Oliver, I always have to have the best available model of whatever car I buy and I'm a massive speed freak and petrol head... Running costs are not a problem for me as I fully appreciate these factors before buying a car! I work within a couple of miles of my house so although it will be used daily I won't put huge mileage on the car! The STI model is definitely what I'm looking for. As for the revs and being lively... This is definitely something I'm used to! I had a '98 Civic hatch which i done a ground up build of which had a 225hp 1.6 DOHC JDM vtec engine which revved to 11,000 so I'm very fond of the revs :-D the car also weighed around 850kgs so it wasn't slow! My current car being a 3.2l v6 TT coupe it has a lot of grunt but is a bit more of a 'comfy cruiser' to drive which is what I'm hoping to get away from... I need that raw power with that big kick of boost!

Last edited by MrSamiG; 07 October 2014 at 05:49 PM.
Old 07 October 2014, 05:48 PM
MrSamiG
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyboy1
My mate is thinking of selling his 43k mile WR blue JDM hawk STi but its at the top of your budget of £12.5k. got AP 6 pot brakes, Rota wheels, and a few other mods!!!
Is it advertised anywhere I could check it out mate?

I've found a garage a couple of hours away from me that has a small selection of JDM and UK spec Impreza's, albeit mainly blobeyes but I'm thinking of taking a trip up to drive a couple. I like a lot of the extras the JDM cars seem to have over the UK models... Not too keen on the rear wiper and the tinted glass though (just my preference) 🙊 is it true that the JDM models don't have central locking does anyone know?

I've also decided if I go for a Hawkeye an absolutely must is to swap out those hideous rear light clusters for blob eye units 😂👍
Old 07 October 2014, 05:52 PM
Trinity
Scooby Regular

JDM STIs have central locking lol, Spec C's may not as of weight saving.

The rear wiper is the best addition ever, ask any UK owner
Old 07 October 2014, 05:55 PM
MrSamiG
Scooby Regular

What's a Spec C?

I think I have "de-wipered" every single car I have ever owned 😂 and I can honestly say I'd 100% do the same thing if I buy a JDM Scoob... I have genuinely never thought "damn, I wish I had a rear screen wiper" 🙈
Old 07 October 2014, 05:57 PM
Trinity
Scooby Regular

I take it you have driven hot hatches then?

and dont be a tool. de-wipering your Subaru, don't shout about that too loud on here dude
Old 07 October 2014, 06:08 PM
MrSamiG
Scooby Regular

Yeah pretty much... '98 civic hatch, '01 Audi S3 Quattro Tubro, '04 Civic Type R and now my '04 Audi TT V6 Quattro.

Lol sorry but I just took a look at a JDM blobeye and that rear wiper is f*cking ugly! I don't even think I'd drive a car off the forecourt with that thing on it 😂
Old 07 October 2014, 06:28 PM
MrSamiG
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Xline
Wipers don't go on saloon cars
Xline knows whasup! 🙌
Old 07 October 2014, 06:31 PM
Trinity
Scooby Regular

Pop a thread on entitled removing a rear wiper , lets see what others say (Xline dosent count as he is retarded)
Old 07 October 2014, 06:34 PM
fat-thomas
BANNED

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

jdm jdm jdm jdm jdm jdm...........................you do know they are made of unicorn tears and fairies wings too dont you??
Old 07 October 2014, 06:36 PM
fat-thomas
BANNED

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

and the best jdm models come without the wiper its only the entry level ones that have it
Old 07 October 2014, 07:57 PM
johnny subaru
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi all,

I'm new here, been having a browse about for a while so thought I'd sign up! I'm in the market for a Scoob and becoming a bit overwhelmed by all the options of different models so I thought I'd get some knowledgeable advice here!

What I've worked out so far is that I want a blobeye or a hawkeye STI just because they're the best looking models IMO and both kinda fit within my top end budget. I realise the blobs have a 2.0l turbo and the Hawks have a 2.5l turbo is there any particular advantages/disadvantages? Also I notice the later blobs are a "widetrack" model with a DCCD... Is this seen as a favourable model over the previous earlier ones? I'm also hoping to scout a PPP variant for the added extras.

Aside from that, I'm clueless... There's obviously other models within the two shapes but is there any others I should be looking out for? I've got my heart set on blue so that kind of rules out the RB320's too...! Any help will be appreciated :-)

My budget is £10-12.5k and the car will be used for every day use.

Job sorted.

http://www.monzasport.com/used-car-s...eza-saloon-416
Old 07 October 2014, 08:48 PM
MrSamiG
Scooby Regular

If only mate! This was one of the first ones I saw and it is fairly local to me too... Called up and it had been sold the day before 😕👎
Old 07 October 2014, 09:38 PM
LUCKO
Scooby Regular

Is it advertised anywhere I could check it out mate?

I've found a garage a couple of hours away from me that has a small selection of JDM and UK spec Impreza's, albeit mainly blobeyes but I'm thinking of taking a trip up to drive a couple. I like a lot of the extras the JDM cars seem to have over the UK models... Not too keen on the rear wiper and the tinted glass though (just my preference) 🙊 is it true that the JDM models don't have central locking does anyone know?

I've also decided if I go for a Hawkeye an absolutely must is to swap out those hideous rear light clusters for blob eye units 😂👍
hi mate car is not advertised as yet but will be soon as i just cant see me driving it again (currently banned) so may aswell get rid

the pic below has old wheels and headlights have been tinted

i think mileage is 43 or 45 im not sure havnt driven it for a while

loadsa whatsapp pics if you fire your mobile number over, Rich

Old 11 October 2014, 08:53 PM
stevemoir
Scooby Regular

Question

Have you actually driven a sti yet be it a jdm or UK spec?

You have by the sounds of it tuned a few cars in your time but an 11000 rpm 225 bhp Honda with **** all torque isn't gonna be in any league to a remapped jdm sti

I suggest you drive both versions and see how you feel

Watching videos of scoobs and driving / owning one is a different game

As you get bored of the power fast and the money to tuning ratio is silly

Steve
Old 11 October 2014, 08:55 PM
Dirk Diggler 75
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LUCKO
hi mate car is not advertised as yet but will be soon as i just cant see me driving it again (currently banned) so may aswell get rid

the pic below has old wheels and headlights have been tinted

i think mileage is 43 or 45 im not sure havnt driven it for a while

loadsa whatsapp pics if you fire your mobile number over, Rich

Nice ...
Old 11 October 2014, 09:08 PM
MrSamiG
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevemoir
Question

Have you actually driven a sti yet be it a jdm or UK spec?

You have by the sounds of it tuned a few cars in your time but an 11000 rpm 225 bhp Honda with **** all torque isn't gonna be in any league to a remapped jdm sti

I suggest you drive both versions and see how you feel

Watching videos of scoobs and driving / owning one is a different game

As you get bored of the power fast and the money to tuning ratio is silly

Steve
Yeah funnily enough I went to drive one today. Took out a UK '56 plate STI blob. Absolutely standard but the sound got my hooked straight away, power delivery was strong on boost but with a fair bit of lag but no more than my previous S3 turbo. I also took my friends P1 for a spin recently and they felt very similar in power delivery. I think I've almost ruled out the idea of a JDM spec car purely just knowing the sound is completely different

I want to find a 2.5 hawk to try that out as well as if I'm honest I prefer the looks of the hawks but don't want to buy one just based on that!

And don't judge my Civic based on what you've heard about torqueless Honda's... It used to slay a few STI's on a regular basis
Old 11 October 2014, 09:19 PM
stevemoir
Scooby Regular

Last of the blobs and on a 56 plate sounds a keeper

Standard even with a PPP isn't gonna feel that good like you say the lag once it gets a remap it will be a he'll of a lot better

I know all about Hondas used to have a rotrex supercharged dc5 swapped it for my first blob sti

Ran that to 470 then broke that and got my 2.5 hawk sti

A lot of engine failure with the 2.5 but touch wood mines going well

The sound is a bit different but that's because of the equal length headers but with a vf36 or 37 your torque will nearly match your bhp

Which on a UK STI won't happen

Steve

Last edited by stevemoir; 11 October 2014 at 09:20 PM.

Quick Reply: New member after a Scoob! Opinions required!