Sponsored by:

Hey all, new person looking for a new car

Search this Thread

Old 07 October 2014, 10:18 AM
lloydsound
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Hey all, new person looking for a new car

Hey all I am new to this forum and also to Subaru's in general. Forgive me as I am sure you get a lot of these posts but I have been trying to research as much as possible on net, it would seem that due to the huge range of models and specs it is hard to reach any conclusion without asking the experts.

Finally, after years of looking and dreaming, I have decided to commit to buying a decent car and have been trying to decide whether to go EVo VI Tommi Makinen, EVO 8 FQ-whatever, probably 360, or STI - and from what I can gather the STI is a more user-friendly car which is easier to live with and still extremely fast. I am sure that none of these models are going to provide the comfort of a BMW 5 series, nor be as cheap to run as a diesel astra but then lets face it - if we wanted any of those features then we wouldnt be looking. So basically I am thinking the impreza as I have always loved the blue/gold combination, as well as the signature throaty sound (you always know what car it is), as well as it being fast and 'reliable'??? I admit i dont know lots about them but from what i can gather i feelset on an sti-02 to 0 05 model?

Budget is say absolute maximum 10K quesiton is what one would you recommend for performance?

Is my best route getting a basic sti (261) with the pro drive mod? putting it to 305 bhp?

Any repleis are greatly appreciated

Best wishes

Lloyd

ps - hoping to buy in november
Old 07 October 2014, 10:43 AM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

10k will get you ALOT of car.

That money you have the uk blob sti or the JDM blob sti. Both different cars in their own respect but the JDM won't have the subaru burble as you describe, but makes hell of a noise when giving it some grief.

I wouldn't get too hung up on the ppp cars as you can achieve more power with an aftermarket exhaust and map than what the ppp offers, but if looking to keep standard and not modify then it's a decent spec car to go with.

The blob changed on the 05 plate switching to the wide track model, again your budget will cover this. Widetracks have a few subtle changes over the earlier blobs like the rear arch extensions, wider track, different pcd wheels, and a few interior changes like the sweeping clocks and centre console. Biggest change is the gearbox and the dccd function.

Do your research and look at them all would be my advice as you will find they are all different to drive.
Old 07 October 2014, 11:08 AM
riiidaa
Scooby Regular

Wallington, Surrey. Hello neigbour.

I see you've already had a decent reply.

Be sure to also join www.surreyscoobies.co.uk/forums/
Old 07 October 2014, 11:11 AM
Trinity
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Widetrack JDM Blob STI, no contest, no need to even debate other models (unless you find a Hawkeye JDI STI for the same money). Twinscroll turbo banshee wail! you'll forget about the 'burble' with one redline blast
Old 07 October 2014, 11:11 AM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

If you're trying to decide between an Impreza and an Evo you really need to try a Spec C as well, that is Subaru's "Evo" model but it was never released over here - but there are plenty of import cars.

Some people rave about twin-scroll turbo engines, they rev higher and tend to spool more quickly and these come on JDM cars from around 2003 onwards. Aside this I don't really see much difference between the UK and JDM cars, unless you are interested in something made after 2006 where the 2.5 engines are known to have issues and cannot be tuned as cost-effectively without a forged build.

If you wish to stick only to UK cars, it is really a matter of choice whether or not you prefer something a bit more track focussed (Evo) or something a little more well-rounded (STI) though it is all a matter of opinion at the end of the day. Though the base spec STI runs around 265bhp a Prodrive-fettled car will run around 305bhp, though for three figures you'd see similar results if not better from an exhaust, uprated panel filter, uprated fuel pump and remap.

It is worth remembering that both the Evo and Impreza can be tuned very heavily if you wish and what you go for is very much a matter of personal choice.
Old 07 October 2014, 11:14 AM
lloydsound
Scooby Regular

thanks for the reply guys (and hello neighbour to Riidaa) - i must admit i dont know what a Widetrack JDM blob sti is? Is there a reference somewhere?

Cheers for the replies

Lloyd
Old 07 October 2014, 11:30 AM
lloydsound
Scooby Regular

Also just to add, I am not against modding the car but I would prefer to buy something which is as naturally powerful as can be from factory, knowing that I can mod it in the future - but not buying it knowing I have a years pexpensive roject to get it up to speed. I plan to take it for a big srvice within a week of buying it and would happily have any mods done then if it could be done soon or quickly but generally I fancy something that is already quick
Old 07 October 2014, 11:31 AM
Trinity
Scooby Regular

You will also get extra kit on a JDM sti like Xenons, electric folding mirrors, intercooler spray, defi style backlit clocks (soooo much better than a uk poverty spec car), DCCD Driver controlled diff (although the later uk blobs got that as well) amongst other bits and bobs .

Drive both if you can, you won't choose the Uk model!
Old 07 October 2014, 11:33 AM
Trinity
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lloydsound
Also just to add, I am not against modding the car but I would prefer to buy something which is as naturally powerful as can be from factory, knowing that I can mod it in the future - but not buying it knowing I have a years pexpensive roject to get it up to speed. I plan to take it for a big srvice within a week of buying it and would happily have any mods done then if it could be done soon or quickly but generally I fancy something that is already quick
The JDM is far superior out if the box and the standard JDM sti suspension is excellent. A remap for uk fuel and some extra free power you will be a happy camper for long time till the modifying bug bites (which it will!)
Old 07 October 2014, 11:42 AM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Trinity
The JDM is far superior out if the box and the standard JDM sti suspension is excellent. A remap for uk fuel and some extra free power you will be a happy camper for long time till the modifying bug bites (which it will!)
Or with the thousands of pounds you save getting a uk car best suited to uk roads you can modify your uk car to a superior level to the jdm.

If you want a good daily get a uk car that's nice to burble about in, if you want something more focused that costs more money get a evo, the jdm cars negates the reason for buying a scooby.
Old 07 October 2014, 11:44 AM
lloydsound
Scooby Regular

what is JDM?
Old 07 October 2014, 11:49 AM
powerwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

https://www.scoobynet.com/subaru-444...40k-miles.html
Old 07 October 2014, 12:25 PM
Trinity
Scooby Regular

what is JDM?
Japanese Domestic Market.

With Japanese cars, there native market always gets superior cars over their exports.

The UK spec models of the Impreza had reduced kit, and a single scroll turbo, amongst other 'cheaper' engine components. The JDM as mentioned, came with extra kit, and the superior twinscroll JDM engine with nitraded crank etc. When the hawkeye came with the 2.5 chocolate engine, Japan, didn't, they continued to use the superior 2.0 twinscroll one. The earlier blob JDMS also had DCCD.

As mentioned the Spec C is worth a look, this is a JDM STI, but again even more driver focused. I personally like the more creature comforts of the standard STI (Spec C has less sound proofing, some dont have electric windows etc) as Its my everyday driver, but as a point to point car, you can't beat a spec C (and neither can an Evo!)

Once you have done some research on here using the search function, you will see the advantages on paper, once you have driven on you will be blown away how much more driver intended the car actually is. Twin scroll on boost, with massively reduced lag is a much better point to point car. You'll notice they are more expensive to purchase, but buy once, buy right otherwise you'll always be chasing the performance of a JDM, or be bemused by a UK poverty spec car.

Unfortunately Scoobynet is full of JDM envy for those with UK cars, you get used to it, knowing you have a much better car and made the right decision at the start

Last edited by Trinity; 07 October 2014 at 12:26 PM.
Old 07 October 2014, 12:25 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

If your budget is 10k you will be hard pushed to find a decent spec c let alone a hawk spec c which is why I never mentioned them in my original reply, but this time of year does bring prices down slightly.

I've owned both UK and JDM and still currently living with the JDM, I find it better suited to my style of driving. Saying that I also loved my UK car but in a different way, imo it is night and day difference between the 2 cars and the setups.

I did miss the burble at first but I wouldn't let the exhaust dictate what car you go for. Unless you know in your heart of hearts you can't live without it, as some people buy them purely based on the noise as that's what they always loved and what drew them to the car. Each to their own but as said I would definitely experience as many different models as I could within my budget, maybe even consider a forged 2.5 if you can live with the ridiculous tax band! But they are a lovely car to drive with the low down grunt.
Old 07 October 2014, 12:54 PM
Trinity
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Xline
Envy, lol

It's also full of people that paid well over the odds to have a car shipped all the way from Japan that they (the japs) were trying to get rid of to any old mug that'll take it because it's not good enough for them anymore and won't pass their own farm more stringent MOT or is no longer financially viable to keep there. We seem to be the most cost effective scrap heap because we'll suck up all their right hand drive cars without question.
Imported crap
the troll strikes again

OP - This user will intend to ruin your thread now by arguing the toss, troll like behaviour which he does on most of his posts (if interested check his previous threads out), but do drop me PM if you want some JDM help and advice, happy to help, saves the muppets getting involved

Last edited by Trinity; 07 October 2014 at 12:55 PM.
Old 07 October 2014, 12:59 PM
riiidaa
Scooby Regular

JDM cars are better spec'd this is true, unless you go for a Spec C which has less creature comforts - track focused car.

UK STi's are not crap, called STi Type UK, when you're looking.
Old 07 October 2014, 01:00 PM
Trinity
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by riiidaa
JDM cars are better spec'd this is true, unless you go for a Spec C which has less creature comforts - track focused car.

UK STi's are not crap, called STi Type UK, when you're looking.
I agree they are not crap to a lot of other cars on the road, they are Still an Impreza, but in comparison to a JDM, they are crap
Old 07 October 2014, 01:09 PM
riiidaa
Scooby Regular

I agree they are not crap to a lot of other cars on the road, they are Still an Impreza, but in comparison to a JDM, they are crap
lol, you wonder why you get into arguments?

For this chap's budget, a very tidy Type UK with few or no mods, then a decent exhaust system - panel filter perhaps and a remap by JGM will see him grinning.

Equally, if he can sniff out a JDM twinscroll to demo that fits within £10k, go see it, and try it.
Old 07 October 2014, 01:14 PM
Trinity
Scooby Regular

lol, you wonder why you get into arguments?

For this chap's budget, a very tidy Type UK with few or no mods, then a decent exhaust system - panel filter perhaps and a remap by JGM will see him grinning.

Equally, if he can sniff out a JDM twinscroll to demo that fits within £10k, go see it, and try it.
hahah, I do like good educated sweeping statements, just not from the unknowledeable newbies

A good twinscroll blob is well within budget - my logic is, buy the best you can afford from the outset, which woudn't be a UK car in this price zone, that much is undebatable

But yeah if its a first Impreza, any will leave him grinning...
Old 07 October 2014, 01:33 PM
riiidaa
Scooby Regular

But yeah if its a first Impreza, any will leave him grinning...
Til he gets to the petrol pump Always use V-power, or Tesco momentum - and come mapping time decide which of those fuels to stick too.
Old 07 October 2014, 02:09 PM
Trinity
Scooby Regular

Til he gets to the petrol pump Always use V-power, or Tesco momentum - and come mapping time decide which of those fuels to stick too.
true! My Type R STI was way worse than the newage, i saw less than 17mpg sometimes! but yeah good point, I mapped for Shell sheerly as there are more stations around, but Tesco I feel is more potent
Old 07 October 2014, 02:19 PM
lloydsound
Scooby Regular

HAHAHAHA I knew I would start a war but tbh I thought it would
Be against evo's. I will look into a jdm although I remember coming across lots of type UK's on PH and AT, not jdm tho
Old 07 October 2014, 02:20 PM
lloydsound
Scooby Regular

Is there another way to tell? It would it be called something else?
Old 07 October 2014, 02:24 PM
Trinity
Scooby Regular

HAHAHAHA I knew I would start a war but tbh I thought it would
Be against evo's. I will look into a jdm although I remember coming across lots of type UK's on PH and AT, not jdm tho
No war, just troll beating

Evos are awesome cars, I love them, I just found the Subaru a far nicer daily driver, and the twinscroll a better point to point car...and no AYC reliance

As for spotting a JDM, easiest ways are the electric folding mirrors and the defi style backlit clocks (similar to hawkeye). It will also have an internal beep for reverse, DCCD on pre 2004 cars..

For example, here is a really nice one from a forum member

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifie...-miles/2904950
Old 07 October 2014, 02:27 PM
Trinity
Scooby Regular

Heres a widetrack in your budget

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifie...etrack/1707674
Old 07 October 2014, 02:29 PM
riiidaa
Scooby Regular

on autotrader the title is not likely to state when you're searching.

on PH those who know what they're selling should make a point of stating JDM but again, it'll be in the body of the ad I'd wager
Old 07 October 2014, 02:31 PM
riiidaa
Scooby Regular

be prepared to make long trips if hunting JDMs only

STi Type UK's will be available far more locally, you just then need to get a decently cared for one.
Old 07 October 2014, 03:06 PM
lloydsound
Scooby Regular

Taking into account I could have a type uk (04-05) with PPP with 305 BHP for around the 6/7 K mark with relatively low mileage against my maximum budget of 10 for something which offers a few extra gizmos and potentially better handling but not the same sound I wonder if, considering I haven't owned a car like this before, I would be just as happy with a well loved sti UK with PPP?
Old 07 October 2014, 03:19 PM
shamkhan1
Scooby Regular

Check a few different models and test drive UK or JDM and go for what you like.
Typer r & Spec C are decent
Old 07 October 2014, 03:27 PM
Trinity
Scooby Regular

Taking into account I could have a type uk (04-05) with PPP with 305 BHP for around the 6/7 K mark with relatively low mileage against my maximum budget of 10 for something which offers a few extra gizmos and potentially better handling but not the same sound I wonder if, considering I haven't owned a car like this before, I would be just as happy with a well loved sti UK with PPP?
Until you drive a JDM and kick yourself for not buying one in the first place.

It isnt about gizmos, but they are nice to have, the drive is completely different, and far better, ignore horse power PPP blady blah. There are some JDMs for £8k on Pistonheads.

Drive them both as much as you can, maybe find a local person close to you with one who could take you out for a blast on some country roads, best advice anyone can give you on your first purchase.

Last edited by Trinity; 07 October 2014 at 03:29 PM.

Quick Reply: Hey all, new person looking for a new car