Sponsored by:

Upgrade options for a V4 Type R

Search this Thread

Old 27 March 2014, 06:33 PM
wardle88
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrade options for a V4 Type R

About to pick up a V4 Type R with Dccd thats standard and I'm wondering what a sensible power limit is to aim for on the engine and box.

Ideally looking for someone who's been there done that as this car will be a summer project so I'll be putting everything together over the next few months. Idea is to have a fast road/track car that will be a toy, not daily driver.

I realise brakes/suspension will also be a priority and I already have plans for these, I'm just looking to find out what people are safely running on an EJ20 STI with DCCD and what the mods list is.

Thanks
Old 27 March 2014, 07:02 PM
L.J.F
Instructing with fear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't try pushing the engine to far into the 300's tbh as it's getting on a bit and you could wind up needing to rebuild the engine. Get it mapped for to improve the drive and for uk fuel, improve the brakes and suspension setup and just enjoy it as a capable B road car.
Old 27 March 2014, 07:52 PM
wardle88
BANNED

I'm not overly concerned if the engine does go pop as I'll rebuild using a V7/8 sti block but for the time being it would be good to know what people are running on a stock one.

Its done 70k and standard so hasnt been overstressed so I expect it to be capable to an extent. I've had 300+ bhp wrx's/uk2000 in the past with higher mileage that were reliable so expected the sti engine/box to be more than capable of mid 300's?
Old 27 March 2014, 08:07 PM
gc8-r
Scooby Regular

They are good for 350 but then you run into gearbox troubles....

Best setup is
Full polybush kit inc front and rear arb's
Full decat and exhaust
Full geo setup for fast road
And a good spring and shock setup... Coil overs are really bouncy ... You skip from one side of road to other...
Good map and boost and there you go a good fast back road car....

The dccd and gearbox make up for any power car,,, these are about getting there quick.!
Old 27 March 2014, 08:10 PM
gc8-r
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wardle88
I'm not overly concerned if the engine does go pop as I'll rebuild using a V7/8 sti block but for the time being it would be good to know what people are running on a stock one.

Its done 70k and standard so hasnt been overstressed so I expect it to be capable to an extent. I've had 300+ bhp wrx's/uk2000 in the past with higher mileage that were reliable so expected the sti engine/box to be more than capable of mid 300's?

And your old cars might have had 300+ hp
But you put them up against a sorted mid range type-r and then you will see a big difference
Foot flat and they look good as a little spot in mirrors
Old 27 March 2014, 09:12 PM
wardle88
BANNED

Originally Posted by gc8-r
They are good for 350 but then you run into gearbox troubles....

Best setup is
Full polybush kit inc front and rear arb's
Full decat and exhaust
Full geo setup for fast road
And a good spring and shock setup... Coil overs are really bouncy ... You skip from one side of road to other...
Good map and boost and there you go a good fast back road car....

The dccd and gearbox make up for any power car,,, these are about getting there quick.!
I'll be powder coating and polybushing the underside but I will want it quite stiff in terms of shocks/springs so may go for coilovers.

350 would be about the target as I understand whats required to go beyond that, but I've been told by a few people the dccd boxes will handle more than a stock 754 5 speed??

I'd be interested to know what turbo works best on a type r with tmic and usual supporting mods as I would imagine a td05-16g to be very lively!
Old 27 March 2014, 09:19 PM
gc8-r
Scooby Regular

Keep the vf24 mate... Spools well and just suits he car,,subaru spent millions getting that combo right and they did with the v4,
Wait till either engine or turbo goes then replace... When I sold my v4 type-r I had to get a v4 sti only wanted it cause I find the turbo is amazin....yet another vf24
Old 27 March 2014, 11:54 PM
gingeral
Scooby Regular

A td05 works very well on a v4 but you have to have it converted to front entry
Old 28 March 2014, 12:17 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

It will need an ESL fitting or an ECU change as it's pre-MY 99 (no OBD).
Old 28 March 2014, 12:31 AM
chrispy200+
Scooby Regular

I'll be powder coating and polybushing the underside but I will want it quite stiff in terms of shocks/springs so may go for coilovers.

350 would be about the target as I understand whats required to go beyond that, but I've been told by a few people the dccd boxes will handle more than a stock 754 5 speed??

I'd be interested to know what turbo works best on a type r with tmic and usual supporting mods as I would imagine a td05-16g to be very lively!
Being a v4 is it not the weaker 5 speed dccd? I was running 380-400lb/ft on mine, no heavy launches but drove it hard once going and it was fine
Old 28 March 2014, 08:36 PM
wardle88
BANNED

When you say weaker, were you running the 380 on yours?
I dont launch either, just use midrange power and dont abuse the box. It will have a lightened flywheel and decent spec pink box clutch once fitted.

Be nice to have some more input from people regarding turbo/intercooler options plus decent brake and suspension options.

I've already sourced all the rear arms/cradles/covers etc for powder coating and poly bushing and I assume the whiteline ones are the ones to go for?
Old 28 March 2014, 09:30 PM
gc8-r
Scooby Regular

Ya white line are the best..... But th.ats me
Top mount is good enough for 350 hp.. Or upgrade to new age wrx one
As for brakes ....! Depends on your style if you brake hard for corners go newage brembos
If you ain't a nutter( and you will be in a "r" ) look at decent drilled and grooved discs
I had project mu on mine and never needed to worry
And don't believe all the horror story's on the box
Old 28 March 2014, 09:35 PM
Kwik
Scooby Regular

I'm sure sonic is running 380 on the standard box and internals. I think he competes with it too iirc.
What car have you had up until now? It took me a while to adapt from my old WRX to my V4 type R. I'd reccomend getting used to it for a while, mines under 300bhp and a blast to drive. They can be a handful rolled all the way back, that's part of the fun.
Old 28 March 2014, 10:00 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I had a VF34 on mine running 330bhp, mine is pretty stock apart from anti lift kit and 22mm rear roll bar, did few track days as well as Nurburgring and a couple of sprints, but mostly B road blasting, standard 4 pots are a bit pants for track. Had 2 maps 300bhp on 95 ron and 330ish on Vpower, mostly kept it on 300bhp for the road and that was plenty most of the time.

I'd opt for keeping it close to stock and learning it's limits then exploit them because it's a really fun car when you learn how to drive it. Generally quick enough to scare most people due to the wayward handling, but I like that about it.

That said i'll be taking mine closer to 400bhp when I recommission it as every so often when in mental mode there's just not quite enough to scare me but I have had it 8yrs now so i'm kind of used to it.
Old 28 March 2014, 10:36 PM
gc8-r
Scooby Regular

Gotta agree with ditchmyster

Gotta love the back end action of these... Then the four wheel slingshot out of corners
Old 28 March 2014, 10:44 PM
wardle88
BANNED

I've had 3 Impreza's over the last 5 years (2x uk2000, 1 x Type R v6) with varying power from 280-330bhp BUT i've never built a car to my own spec.

My 1st classic I bought already modded and added my own touches to it in terms of styling etc but didnt want to invest heavily in it as I didnt feel the car was worth it.

The V6 Type R was a restoration project which I bought as a non runner/no mot/tax. I restored it to original spec with Prodrive additions etc but again, didnt build it to be an out and out performance car or as a long term investment. I bought it to save it but sadly after enjoying meets/shows etc in it over the summer 2011 myself and 2 other cars hit a large diesel spill at 20mph and hit a bridge side on, and despite me pleading with the insurance company they gave it a cat b and I couldnt buy it back.

The 3rd Impreza was again a car I wanted to save and restore, a red uk2000 with rare interior, sunroof etc. I began to go the right way with it, attention to detail on the engine mods, brembos, p1wrc's etc but needed a van for work and it had to go to fund it.

It took me a long time to get over the crash in the type r as I felt the car was taken from me. If i'd been driving like a **** I would take it on the chin, but that night, as I was watching 2 other people crash and a copper falling flat on his *** due to the road conditions, I wasnt at fault. I always had it in my head that if I ever got another Impreza it had to be a type r, and would be a complete bare shell build to the best spec I can afford, without going mental.

As i've said, attention to detail is my thing so I want to get this car right but without breaking the bank. I dont have the money to just throw out thousands on rebuild or high spec stuff, hence why i'm asking about SENSIBLE options for the Type R that are tried and enthusiast tested
Old 29 March 2014, 05:20 PM
Kwik
Scooby Regular

I've had 3 Impreza's over the last 5 years (2x uk2000, 1 x Type R v6) with varying power from 280-330bhp BUT i've never built a car to my own spec.

My 1st classic I bought already modded and added my own touches to it in terms of styling etc but didnt want to invest heavily in it as I didnt feel the car was worth it.

The V6 Type R was a restoration project which I bought as a non runner/no mot/tax. I restored it to original spec with Prodrive additions etc but again, didnt build it to be an out and out performance car or as a long term investment. I bought it to save it but sadly after enjoying meets/shows etc in it over the summer 2011 myself and 2 other cars hit a large diesel spill at 20mph and hit a bridge side on, and despite me pleading with the insurance company they gave it a cat b and I couldnt buy it back.

The 3rd Impreza was again a car I wanted to save and restore, a red uk2000 with rare interior, sunroof etc. I began to go the right way with it, attention to detail on the engine mods, brembos, p1wrc's etc but needed a van for work and it had to go to fund it.

It took me a long time to get over the crash in the type r as I felt the car was taken from me. If i'd been driving like a **** I would take it on the chin, but that night, as I was watching 2 other people crash and a copper falling flat on his *** due to the road conditions, I wasnt at fault. I always had it in my head that if I ever got another Impreza it had to be a type r, and would be a complete bare shell build to the best spec I can afford, without going mental.

As i've said, attention to detail is my thing so I want to get this car right but without breaking the bank. I dont have the money to just throw out thousands on rebuild or high spec stuff, hence why i'm asking about SENSIBLE options for the Type R that are tried and enthusiast tested
Have a look at my work in progress mate, see what you think...
https://www.scoobynet.com/920019-ama...project-7.html

I felt the same, I wanted an impreza to have for a long time but my WRX just didn't deserve it. So I bought a very tatty, cheap TypeR with high mileage that was on the limit of needing a rebuild. I was already in the middle of building a 2.1 from a CDB so it fitted perfectly.
Old 29 March 2014, 05:31 PM
Jaysz
Scooby Regular

With a hybrid gt2 fmic,full exhaust,vf23,pump with reg and ESL my v3 sti ra which similar car made 346hp
Depends how you drive yours but might not last long at around 350

Last edited by Jaysz; 29 March 2014 at 05:43 PM.
Old 29 March 2014, 06:04 PM
paul98typer
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The TY752 has a weaker casing than the later 754 box. Stripped 5th gear in my v4, car was at 350 lb/ft., Cruising along on the motorway, put foot down and went bang.
You never know what abuse your box has had in the past.
Old 29 March 2014, 06:33 PM
chrispy200+
Scooby Regular

When you say weaker, were you running the 380 on yours?
I dont launch either, just use midrange power and dont abuse the box. It will have a lightened flywheel and decent spec pink box clutch once fitted.

Be nice to have some more input from people regarding turbo/intercooler options plus decent brake and suspension options.

I've already sourced all the rear arms/cradles/covers etc for powder coating and poly bushing and I assume the whiteline ones are the ones to go for?
Mine was the ty754, was running that power for years with no problems. Vf28 was making 380 lb/ft but it's a 2.5.
Yours should be a ty752 which is a bit more of a lottery on power, some people get away with it for ages

I've run with upgraded discs and pads and they weren't great, now got the godspeed 335 kit which is a step up and can be had for a decent price if you hunt around

Have had standard sti pinks for suspension and eibach springs, then moved onto bc coilovers which I feel give a good ride quality, better than the previous setup. Got a lot of other suspension upgrades, uprated rear arb is a good start and works well