Projects For Serious DIY Car Projects

Impreza Racer!

Search this Thread

Old 18 January 2011, 03:37 PM
paul_rallye
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Impreza Racer!

something ive got going off. Its a fair bit further along now but ive not taken any pics for a wile now.

Last edited by paul_rallye; 18 January 2011 at 03:39 PM.
Old 18 January 2011, 04:39 PM
beef-on-the-bone
Scooby Regular

lot of cage in there!!
Old 18 January 2011, 07:09 PM
SkydiveMacca
Scooby Regular

Nice cage! Did you fab it yourself? Would love a cage like that in mine. Need to start robbing banks or something...
Old 18 January 2011, 09:38 PM
paul_rallye
Scooby Regular

wow thnx alot guys, Its not to expensive to buy but takes alot of time putting in + to do it right you need a coded welder and samples to be sent off for lab tests e.t.c. The car looks completly different now ill get some photos along soon. Fabricating takes for ever these are cad desighned and the fit is superb the front legs and rear hoop are spot on and can literaly be welded straight to the shell for extra stiffness, some thing that would be hard to get purfecto if not imposible to do if you fabbed it your self sometimes its best to leave it to the computers.

Nice Bug eye buy the way, superbly underrated impreza and in my opinion look great with the aftermarket lights, love the seats bet they were hard to find. as for cages they look grat but ud probably not like to live with it day today as you sacrifice alot of comforts!!!

Last edited by paul_rallye; 18 January 2011 at 09:42 PM.
Old 18 January 2011, 09:47 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts

Looks like this is going to be a good one, subscribed
Old 18 January 2011, 09:59 PM
SkydiveMacca
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by paul_rallye
wow thnx alot guys, Its not to expensive to buy but takes alot of time putting in + to do it right you need a coded welder and samples to be sent off for lab tests e.t.c. The car looks completly different now ill get some photos along soon. Fabricating takes for ever these are cad desighned and the fit is superb the front legs and rear hoop are spot on and can literaly be welded straight to the shell for extra stiffness, some thing that would be hard to get purfecto if not imposible to do if you fabbed it your self sometimes its best to leave it to the computers.

Nice Bug eye buy the way, superbly underrated impreza and in my opinion look great with the aftermarket lights, love the seats bet they were hard to find. as for cages they look grat but ud probably not like to live with it day today as you sacrifice alot of comforts!!!
Thanks

So are you welding it yourself? I'm always super impressed with people who can weld, especially in tight spots like that cage.

I could certainly live with it, and indeed would love to! How much has it cost you all in?

Seats were in mine when I got it. Love em, but also really love the revolutions an have to keep stopping myself selling the sparcos as I know how rare they are.

Get some photos up of the car now!

Last edited by SkydiveMacca; 18 January 2011 at 10:01 PM.
Old 19 January 2011, 12:57 PM
frayz
Essex Area Moderator
Support Scoobynet!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lush, i'll be watching this one
Old 19 January 2011, 06:25 PM
paul_rallye
Scooby Regular

skydivemike, I did the welding to the shell seam welding and gussets e.t.c but as im not officialy coded i couldnt touch the cage.

Cost wise its not the metal that costs its the time the tubes are no more than a simple 6 point bolt in cage, there is probably 4-500 hours in the shell and cage, plus you realy need a flat floor to build it on and a good quality welder that only realy a pro could afford. not your handy mig!!! plus there are a few different styles and welding techneques required as you have thick to thin metal, thick to thicker, up hill welding, overhead, heat sensitive areas and box section or tripple skin areas to deal with!

As for living day to day with a full cage just try getting in and out of the damn thing! + you will never ever get a girlfriend in there LOL. Id tone it down a bit for a daily driver.

more pics but not the latest ones.

Old 19 January 2011, 08:00 PM
SkydiveMacca
Scooby Regular

Looks really, really good dude What's the plan with the engine?

Have lived with cars with full cages before, doesn't bother me
Old 08 February 2011, 10:59 PM
paul_rallye
Scooby Regular

Hi Not going silly with the motor its a grp N car so it has to be standard with a 34mm inlet restrictor. power will be about 280 300 but tourqe will be 6-700nm acording to the mapper with the anti lag and a 2-3quater inch exhaust. plus i dont want to blow my budget id rather spend the money racing/rallying than spending hours fixing the damn thing!

Old 09 February 2011, 08:33 AM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts

just to clarify if your going grpN then restrictor size would currently be 33mm (used to be 32mm until approx 2yrs back) and grpA/WRC/open class cars run 34mm currently

alyn
Old 09 February 2011, 02:02 PM
paul_rallye
Scooby Regular

yep thnx alot its a clubman car with a grp n motor. can run up to 34mm. but you are correct. Im not doing international events so dont have to worry to much. the car will run B13 in rallying and in the up to 300bhp class in racing.
Old 12 February 2011, 09:39 AM
j-k
Scooby Regular

What fuel will you be running? Your torque figure seems a tad optimistic for a group N standard motor.
We run a 34mm restricted scoob with a fully forged motor, frount mount, bigger injectors, syvecs ecu, etc etc and that makes 300BHP and 320lb/ft (440nm)on optimax.
Soon to have AVCS heads upgrade which should up the torque a tad...

jon
Old 12 February 2011, 11:37 AM
172sport
Scooby Regular

There is no need to be a coded welder to put one in either!
Old 13 February 2011, 10:35 PM
paul_rallye
Scooby Regular

j-k re tourqe i thort it was a bit high to. im not a mapper and dont even pretend to understand how it works. I think its becoz its a both race and a rally car, wen racing you dont need the restrictor when rallying you do so i think thats why the tourqe is higher. as i said im not going to pretend i understand how it works, i know i will have 2 settings. I know on shell turbo 540nm + is obtainable from the 34mm restrictor, but im only going off what i was told.
What championship are you running in? any thing planned for this year? as there are no picys of ur car in the profile :-( you should get some up. I think also it depends on how agressive the map is and how much boost you run which i should imagion is limited with the pump fuel or detting will muller the internals. My turbo is the side entry one which is why the power will be no where near yours.

Re the welder no one said it had to be a coded welder? where did this come from? it just seems a bit of a odd thing to pick up on thats all.
Old 13 February 2011, 10:40 PM
paul_rallye
Scooby Regular

oh and fuel wise ill probably do the same as u and use pump fuel for cost reasons, however carless seems reasonable priced, its so far off to be worying about these things yet though.
Old 14 February 2011, 07:15 AM
j-k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by paul_rallye
j-k re tourqe i thort it was a bit high to. im not a mapper and dont even pretend to understand how it works. I think its becoz its a both race and a rally car, wen racing you dont need the restrictor when rallying you do so i think thats why the tourqe is higher. as i said im not going to pretend i understand how it works, i know i will have 2 settings. I know on shell turbo 540nm + is obtainable from the 34mm restrictor, but im only going off what i was told.
What championship are you running in? any thing planned for this year? as there are no picys of ur car in the profile :-( you should get some up. I think also it depends on how agressive the map is and how much boost you run which i should imagion is limited with the pump fuel or detting will muller the internals. My turbo is the side entry one which is why the power will be no where near yours.

We dont run in any championship, just pick and choose tarmac events through the year. We also run a safe map, not too agressive and very rarely use the ALS.
Just do a search under my user name for plenty of pics, i think the latest ones will be in the rallying section on here, under "brands Hatch Stages".

Good luck with the build....and keep the thread updated.

jon
Old 14 February 2011, 08:12 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Cage very similar to mine.

Nice!
Old 14 February 2011, 06:26 PM
wrighty338
Scooby Regular

is that cage custom or bought?
Old 14 February 2011, 07:22 PM
paul_rallye
Scooby Regular

Hi JGM yes it is, I wish id have held out for a cheap Type R shell like yours tho. they look spot on. and the doors are bigger so you can get in and out of the damn thing when the cage is in.

Wrighty338 its a bought one, just out of interest why do you ask?
Old 14 February 2011, 07:36 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Been telling myself I would build a type r for years so when the shell came up cheap why not.

Good luck with build

Simon
Old 23 May 2011, 10:39 PM
paul_rallye
Scooby Regular

Nearly done

Old 23 May 2011, 10:57 PM
Shaks-STI
Scooby Regular

looks good bud