Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Ford Mondeo ST tdci

Search this Thread

Old 27 July 2013, 05:10 PM
hoff900
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ford Mondeo ST tdci

Well it looks like the impreza got to go, as the Mrs has just passed her driving test and were are currently running three cars. So need to trim this down to two.

Just wondered if anyone has had dealing with a mondeo ST tdci? Seems to have a decent level of performance for me, and a good MPG return for the Mrs (One of the reasons the scoobys going as she wouldn't be able afford the fuel).

So any helpful comments and reviews would be cool.
Old 27 July 2013, 05:27 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Have heard that the dual mass flywheel can be its achillies heel,

Can fail at about 60K, or less depending on the type of driving,

Do some googling

Mart
Old 27 July 2013, 06:12 PM
hoff900
Scooby Regular

Yeh I have read about these, plus the injectors seem to fail and are a ££ fix.
Old 27 July 2013, 11:59 PM
AndyUkImpreza
Scooby Regular

Flywheels are one of the week spots of the sttdci's other week points are injectors, pump, egr valve etc etc, we've had a few with 30k or less needing new dual mass flywheel, its same with any car these days, you might drop on one that's no bother at all or you could get one thats a money pit, luck of the draw
Old 28 July 2013, 08:32 AM
The Dogs B******s
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had one, pretty good car until an injector went.
Old 28 July 2013, 08:40 AM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Apart from the above,if the car is fitted with DPF then be warned if your mrs does short journeys.
Old 28 July 2013, 08:57 AM
hoff900
Scooby Regular

What is the DPF? She does around 40miles a day, any other cars people can suggest?

Trending Topics

Old 28 July 2013, 09:11 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Could do worse
Old 28 July 2013, 10:56 AM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hoff900
What is the DPF? She does around 40miles a day, any other cars people can suggest?

Diesel particulate Filter,its a device that removes all the soot and crap through the exhaust system.But sometimes if you don't do long motorway journey or do a lot of short town driving,the soot builds up and the DPF light comes on,then you need to take the car for a blast on motorway etc,so the exhaust can reach hot enough temp to burn off the soot.
They are meant to be better with the new CR diesel engine,but many just say they are a pain in the ***,and go back to petrol or have the DPF removed at garage.
My DPF light came on yesterday,which means now i got to go clear it on motorway or if you keep driving the car will go into limp mode,then you got to go to dealer and have a forced regeneration...
Old 28 July 2013, 11:07 AM
hoff900
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DYK
Diesel particulate Filter,its a device that removes all the soot and crap through the exhaust system.But sometimes if you don't do long motorway journey or do a lot of short town driving,the soot builds up and the DPF light comes on,then you need to take the car for a blast on motorway etc,so the exhaust can reach hot enough temp to burn off the soot.
They are meant to be better with the new CR diesel engine,but many just say they are a pain in the ***,and go back to petrol or have the DPF removed at garage.
My DPF light came on yesterday,which means now i got to go clear it on motorway or if you keep driving the car will go into limp mode,then you got to go to dealer and have a forced regeneration...

Well that's sounds a bit of a pain in the ***, I'll just have to make sure I take it for a blast every now and then .

I do recall and post regarding this, saying this rarely happens with vans because they are driven like they are stolen all the time lol
Old 28 July 2013, 11:10 AM
ronjeramy
Scooby Regular

My wife's just bought a Volvo V50 D5, pretty pokey for diesel, 5 cylinder 2.4, 180bhp, does over 40mpg and well spec'd
Old 28 July 2013, 11:25 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just buy the petrol equivalent, save all the worry hassle and expense of the diesel.

Modern diesels only come into their own if your banging up and down motorways all day and under warranty, they are not cost effective over the petrol equivalent for people who do less than 30k per year, and anyone that says otherwise is talking out of their rear, they may be a little cheaper on a tank/miles per gallon of fuel but overall cost of ownership is higher.
Old 28 July 2013, 11:43 AM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Well that's sounds a bit of a pain in the ***, I'll just have to make sure I take it for a blast every now and then .

I do recall and post regarding this, saying this rarely happens with vans because they are driven like they are stolen all the time lol
It is a pain when its a Sunday and i were not planning on doing any driving today.
Btw you can't just chuck any old engine oil in either,it has to be a special oil (Sulphated Ash, Phosphorous, Sulphur) SAPS is short version.
if you use normal oil it can block the DPF..
Old 28 July 2013, 12:27 PM
hoff900
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
Just buy the petrol equivalent, save all the worry hassle and expense of the diesel.

Modern diesels only come into their own if your banging up and down motorways all day and under warranty, they are not cost effective over the petrol equivalent for people who do less than 30k per year, and anyone that says otherwise is talking out of their rear, they may be a little cheaper on a tank/miles per gallon of fuel but overall cost of ownership is higher.

The petrol equivalent is the ST220 3.0 litre V6. (I get excited writing that lol) however at a MPG return in Low 20's the Mrs is not keen. Where as the ST tdci returns high 40's. The extra cost of diesel is well of set by this.

What are the additional running cost of a diesel vs a petrol. As my transit connect I have covered 60K in four years and other than usual wear items I cannot think of expensive running cost due to it being diesel?

I know this tread has touched on injectors and DPF but I am sure the petrol model has its faults?
Old 28 July 2013, 12:49 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Hi there

I think here is several threads about the ST TDCi

We have previously ST TDCI,which has been awesome car and mainly this car holding value better than ST 220

We done around 20k miles on our one,main issue is EGR which is easy to sort via EGR Bypass(on eBay cost EGR Bypass £60),just don't buy cheap EGR Blanking plate which is useless

Injectors agree this can be pain in ****,before you will buy car,on cold idle shouldn't be any smoke(white smoke is usually injectors leaking,which one hard to say without the leak test)

DMF(Dual Mass Flywheel) yes this is can be problematic,our one has been still on OE DMF

Mondeo ST TDCI don't have DPF,only later models(Titanium) I think have

Here is few pics of the our one

Jura
Old 28 July 2013, 01:29 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The petrol equivalent is the ST220 3.0 litre V6. (I get excited writing that lol) however at a MPG return in Low 20's the Mrs is not keen. Where as the ST tdci returns high 40's. The extra cost of diesel is well of set by this.

What are the additional running cost of a diesel vs a petrol. As my transit connect I have covered 60K in four years and other than usual wear items I cannot think of expensive running cost due to it being diesel?

I know this tread has touched on injectors and DPF but I am sure the petrol model has its faults?
Love how you chose the top of the range petrol to justify your thinking, I was thinking more along a 2.0L or 1.8L petrol, but i'm not up on ford models so have no idea, i'm sure your connect full fils the requirements i set out in my earlier post, ie it gets driven a lot and quite hard as well as seeing some regular motorway use.

By all means fill your boots and buy what you like, it's not my money so fine by me.
Old 28 July 2013, 05:44 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Love how you chose the top of the range petrol to justify your thinking, I was thinking more along a 2.0L or 1.8L petrol, but i'm not up on ford models so have no idea, i'm sure your connect full fils the requirements i set out in my earlier post, ie it gets driven a lot and quite hard as well as seeing some regular motorway use.

By all means fill your boots and buy what you like, it's not my money so fine by me.
He wants an ST and Ford don't do a 1.8 or 2.0 St!
Old 28 July 2013, 05:49 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a 330d. If I was to get a petrol instead then I would require something with similar poke which would mean a 330i and that in the real world will see 23-28mpg which is some way behind the 38-41mpg I get from the d!
Old 28 July 2013, 06:01 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

I'd agree with that. I could drive 10 miles in my diesel Golf before the engine warmed up. A little turbo TSI petrol would be better.
Old 28 July 2013, 08:31 PM
hoff900
Scooby Regular

Jura just seen your post, that is a sweet looking motor, thanks for the advise as well
Old 28 July 2013, 09:35 PM
nick172sport
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Dogs B******s
I had one, pretty good car until an injector went.
bit shocked you got rid and bought a audi tbh it is known when injectors go they all go one aftr the other and it costs on vw pd engines they go after 1 goes so each needs relacing
Old 29 July 2013, 09:26 AM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

PD engines love a good camshaft wear along with there followers Injectors arent expensive if you know were to look.