ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

New Turbo Today!

Search this Thread

Old 01 February 2000, 10:55 PM
JamesH
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

As some of you might be aware, I have been awaiting the arrival of a New Turbo to my stables - a Ford Mondeo TURBO Diesel Estate! I finally got my (now dirty) paws on it this afternoon.

I have long expounded the view of a 5dr scooby as a familly car, but with the arrival of the 3rd member of the familly, the need for a move from Bow, East London, became necessary or desired at least. We have subsequently moved to the Cambridgeshire area, but have not changed our London jobs. We now commute 130 miles a day, in & out. Unfortunately good petrol consumption is not a scooby trait & i don't wish to put silly mileage on the car. Therefore, a slightly more economical car was in order, for that plod up & down the M11. A v.cheap (ex company) car came up & a deal was done.

The difference, after a scooby, is unreal.

The first thing you miss is the whistle from the turbo. The second is the fact that the addition of a turbo to the Mondeo's engine means f-all! Then you have vague steering, a good deal of body roll & the various other Ford mass produced box traits (like v.thin metal trying to pretend to be VW solid). Trying to keep up, or just avoiding being pushed, is a no-no

HOWEVER, there are certain things, other than fuel consumption (the needle has not moved & the tank size is the same!), that are "better" than my scoob. For the long daily commute, the seats are more comfortable. Maybe less supportive, but for long journeys, more agreeable. The ride, whilst wallowy (?), is less tiring for the same reason. The headlights knock spots (not SS cibs )off the subaru, both on dipped & main.

At the end of the day, as much as I hate it, this 2.5 yr old basemodel TD with 65000 on the clock can still be a reasonable vehicle to drive. Not exiting surely, but it still has a few pluses over the scoob for distane driving. Over 35000 miles a year, I estimate I will save £2000 in fuel costs - enough to pay for the TD in 2 years!

It is very boring and I am embarrased to drive it, but I still have my Subaru for pleasure

BTW - has anyone got any bits to tart this yock up? Alloys, spoilers & the like? At the moment, it is just TOO bland!
Old 02 February 2000, 01:08 AM
strong
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm driving a Brava turbo diesel hire car for a couple of days while the Scooby's bodywork is being attended to after Volvo plonker tried to park his tank in more than one space.

It's certainly a challenge and fun in it's own way (am I going mad?), but a lot of effort having to drive at the limit (with no feedback) to make reasonable progress.

Why on earth would you want to try to tart up something like that though? Do you WANT people to notice what you're driving?!

[This message has been edited by strong (edited 02-02-2000).]