Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

AUDI S3

Search this Thread

Old 20 May 2002, 01:24 PM
Magic Boot
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Going to look at one of these on a W plate. Silver with Black leather Recaro's, BOSE Hi-Fi, Climate etc etc.

Anybody owned or driven one and care to share experience?

Cheers.

Old 20 May 2002, 01:57 PM
chuckster
Scooby Regular

I bought a MY02 recently. They upped the power a little and tweaked the suspension. It's a nice car. Alot of European imports coming in these days, make sure you don't pay too much.
Compared to the MY01WRX I sold for it I am sorry to say I prefer the Audi as a total driving experience - brake feel and gearbox way better than on older Audi's, as are the Recaros.
The boot is tiny, the access to the rear seats ain't great (awkward seat fold) and it's fairly easy to fade the brakes cross country on the minus side.
If I want to go out for a fun drive I still take the STI, though the Audi is suprisingly good it ain't an STI LOL.
Chuck
Old 20 May 2002, 02:17 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

I was looking at one before Xmas - great cars although not the cheapest if your looking for performance mostly. As Chuckster said they have come down a lot since the days when they were rare and had minimal depriciation. A lot of people decide to get them chipped and there are plenty around from around £500 upwards that give around 40bhp and can be switched on & off via a cruise control stalk.

When I test drove one I found the gear change very notchy on a V reg with 11k on the clock and it did not feel as comfortable over bumps, around corners etc as a MYO2 WRX. Id suggest popping over to the main Audi BBS for some reading and advice:

http://www.audi-sport.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi
Old 20 May 2002, 02:18 PM
Magic Boot
Scooby Regular

Smile

Thanks Chuck,

I'm not expecting STi levels of performance from the S3 in stock form but once AmD have worked their magic things start getting interesting. (260Bhp/240Lb/Ft).

I think the S3 is a superb base for a very rapid car with class leading interior creature comforts. The car i'm looking at is a 2000 (W) UK Car with 23k for £17,500.

Old 20 May 2002, 03:55 PM
Magic Boot
Scooby Regular

Smile

Thanks for the link P1.

Notice that you frequent the Audi board from time to time. Very informative BBS if a bit slow compared to Scoobynet.

Some of the Re-Chip information makes very interesting reading and certainly whets the appetite.
Old 20 May 2002, 04:06 PM
chuckster
Scooby Regular

I;m amazed how little information there is regarding tuning actually. All these guys, AMD, MTM, APR, do is supply a standard remap (like the PPP chip) and then charge £800 for it. I guess thats why none of them supply decat downpipes etc - they would have to come up with another map. Hell I think thats a market ripe for someone with a box full of Dawes kits and a boostguage.
C
Old 20 May 2002, 04:11 PM
TaviaRS
Scooby Regular

Talking

Oh, but you can change the downpipe and fit a race cat (alledgedly in case the insurance man is reading!). Full stainless system will liberate over 15 bhp and 36 lb/ft (again alledgedly ).

Try Milltek.
Old 20 May 2002, 04:31 PM
matt555teg-r
Scooby Regular

Talking

Please don't take offence anyone, this is my own oppinion.

I really wanted one until I drove it!! I was really disapointed with the gear change and lack of standard performance, although I know for a few quid you can change the performance but for 24K+ I'd personally want something that's sorted out of the box.

The interior is one of the best around, just a shame about the sloppy box with too much play.

matt
Old 20 May 2002, 04:45 PM
chuckster
Scooby Regular

Tavia...the Miltek stuff for the S3 is expensive - they are taxing the stupid rich kids who buy into the Audi badge(oops may I exclude myself from that group? LOL). 1.8T engine in a Skoda, Sportcat = £389, 1.8T engine in an S3 = £785 WTF? Jet Twin backbox for Skoda = £267, for S3 = £415!!
The Audi-Sport site would be good, if there weren't so many damn snobs on there, as it is I'm very bored of it already
MTM offer a full decat, but only as part of a Stage3 upgrade I think
C
Old 20 May 2002, 07:08 PM
Steve Perriam
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

m8 of mine has just ordered a new one for delivery in 6 weeks.

i think he's nuts personally !

26k !

he enjoyed the test drive.....reckons its slower to 60 than the scoob but better torque spread ?

and his wife loves it...had to be a black one with black leather - she never particularly liked the scoob !

still i will say i'm looking forward to a spin.

and they do appear to keep their value very well ? he had loads a trouble finding a nearly new one, hence going for brand new.

insurance is hundreds of pounds cheaper to ??
Old 20 May 2002, 11:03 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Yep, when looking at ins I was getting quotes around £650 compared to £1,000+ for a MY02 WRX.
Old 21 May 2002, 04:30 AM
meta4
Scooby Newbie

Hi there,
I've gone from driving a 94 wrx [wagon &sedan] to a 97 wrx[wagon&sedan] and have now had my new s3 for almost a month. I've been a great fan of sube since it first arrived here in Australia and was left bitterly disappointed with the "new shape"...just my opinion of course. I wanted a car "like" the rex...turbo, awd, smallish....but at 31 I no longer wanted a car that screamed look at me and I wanted something with a touch of class inside and out. Audi seem to really know how to make a cosseting interior...it's lovely. The performance is different to the wrx. I'm sure the wrx is faster in most circumstances but the s3 seems to have a broader torque spread which equates to a more relaxing drive without the need to keep the thing in the "sweet spot". Anyway, I loved the original wrx and I think I've found the car -I- was looking for to replace it. It's not the sort of car I'm going to get in and thrash like I used to in the sube...it's a different car imho. I guess it depends on what you're looking for.

Adam
Old 21 May 2002, 09:26 AM
Magic Boot
Scooby Regular

Talking

Adam,

Exactly the same circumstance here, at 30 i want a capable performace car with a touch of class and refinement on the inside. Audi certainly know how to present an interior.

How do you find running costs in comparison with the Scoob?

Any more driving experiences you care to share?

Thanks.
Old 21 May 2002, 09:43 AM
chuckster
Scooby Regular

The fueltank is the same 60L as a scoob, but I regularly get 320 miles out of it, 70 more than the scoob (maybe cause U drive the scoob harder ). Lovely trip computer with estimated range - really helps when below half full.
Steering is too heavy - my only real gripe. Standard tyres are RE040's - they aren't great either.
Sounds like a diesel on startup - takes a few moments for valves to self-adjust, or something like that (pretty embarrasing really) LOL
C
Old 21 May 2002, 10:25 AM
meta4
Scooby Newbie

MB,

I can't really comment on the running costs yet...bit early to tell. When I shopped around I looked at an Evo 6 Makinnen Edition [felt very, very fast but was too boy racer for me, more expensive than s3 here, cheap and nasty inside], new sti 7 [didn't appeal on a number of levels, felt like I'd outgrown it but was nice to drive obviously] second hand boxster S [on the extreme edge of what I could afford and not practical enough for me]. The s3 is perfect for me. I needed to be able to carry things in the back occasionally so the split fold seats are useful. Boring I know, but was important for me. Having owned jap pocket rockets for awhile I was desperate for a change. The evo was faster than my standard scoobs but I asked myself what was I left with after a year or two when the thrill of the performance wears off [and it does after awhile for me]....in my eyes the japanese cars don't really offer all that much past performance/handling...that is their forte. The s3 has a nice balance of good performance [with the option of chipping etc] and pleasing interior/exterior. It's just a bit more mature than the other options I looked at without slipping into the "pipe and slipper" type mature either! I simply couldn't think of another car....apart from the Porsche turbo etc, etc [$$$$]...anyway, good points: more toys like climate control air, electric leather recaro seats, fancy trip computer, xenon lights, good standard bose audio, cruise etc....bit of a chick magnet too :-) negatives: awkward rear access being a 2 door, steering is heavy but also lacks feel unlike a boxster which is heavy but has great feedback....Anyway, if you really wanted to I'm sure you could tune the bejeezus out of one and tweak the handling/brakes etc while your at it. Obviously I'm biased now because I drive an s3....but I'd recommend one. No regrets at all and love hopping into it. Sounds like you need to take one for a good spin and come to your own conclusion.

Adam
Old 22 May 2002, 08:21 PM
Jon Jonzz
Scooby Regular

I have had my S3 for nearly 3 years, and I rate it as one of the best all-round cars I have owned (includes BMW M5, 911 Turbo, TVR etc). Fuel economy, if relevant is quite good - I average 33 m.p.g. and up to 38 m.p.g on a run.

In fact, I am having a problem coming up with a replacement in 2 months' time. It could well be another S3.
Old 22 May 2002, 09:50 PM
FreeT
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Why not wait a bit, the new A3 comes out early next year.

Mind you the S3 might be at least 6 months after the introduction.
Old 23 May 2002, 08:54 AM
up4aruk
Scooby Newbie

New A3 out end of 03, S3 out 18 - 24 months after
Old 23 May 2002, 06:20 PM
MarkJackon
Scooby Regular

Its a TT for those that dont know how to cut hair !
Old 23 May 2002, 07:50 PM
ssubaru
Scooby Regular

nice
Old 24 May 2002, 07:11 AM
chuckster
Scooby Regular

They corner pretty well too!
C
Old 24 May 2002, 08:10 AM
TaviaRS
Scooby Regular

Talking

I would have one but, I'm not doubting they are capable cars, they are expensive for what they are. I could not justify the running costs given my mileage / predeliction for caning the nuts off cars round tracks.

All said and done they were on my list and if any of the Audi dealers round me had actually let me drive one, well I might have had one.
Old 24 May 2002, 09:27 AM
chuckster
Scooby Regular

Can't deny they are expensive considering the shared running gear.
Dealers falling all over themselves to sell them these days though, I've been offered £3k off a new highly specced one by a dealership I hadn't even visited. Now I've bought one I guarantee values will go into freefall. LOL
C