Crappy Ford customer service

Search this Thread

Old 30 October 2012, 06:14 PM
BLU
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Crappy Ford customer service

Here we go again.

Myself and the wife decided to buy a Fiesta TDCi for her to travel to and from work. So back in March we took delivery of a 12 plate Fiesta Zetec 1.4TDCi in Mars Red.

All was great until late May when the car started to get an annoying problem with the way the engine ran.

On part throttle the engine hunts (revs up and down) and in between gear changes the revs either stick at 2000rpm for a couple of seconds before dropping or they shoot up before dropping and the resultant gear change is jerky at best.

Anyways car go's into dealer 1 (where the car was purchased from) and the technician agrees theres a problem. ECU gets updated and the car is returned.

Fault is still there.

Go's back to dealer 1 and they keep it for three weeks eventually handing it back informing us there is no fault.

Problem is still there.

I take out the technician and replicate the fault. He is still adamant there is no fault despite him seeing it there in front of him. Needless to say I was livid.........

Ring Ford and explain the problem, they tell me to take it to another dealership.

Car goes into dealership 2. I take the technician out and show him whats wrong, he agrees that its a problem and the car is booked in. Ford advise them on what tests to do but they had to wait on a tool to arrive for the injector test so the car was returned with the fault until the tool turned up.

Car goes back into dealership 2 to have the injector test completed but no fault code is showing. The technician re calibrates the ECU etc and the car is returned to us.

Fault is still there.

Rings Ford to see where we go from here. They advised me to book the car in with the dealer again and their Technical team would liaise with the dealer to find the fault. Car was left with dealer 2 and that was that.

Cut a long story short Ford won't touch my car until dealership 2 has tested a similar vehicle informing me that this is normal behaviour for the car, DESPITE asking me to leave it with the dealership. Our car is being returned tonight STILL with this fault.

I'm looking at rejecting the car as I am so p..sed of with Fords attitude and lack of customer care.

Couple of vids showing the problem,

This is the hunting at low revs. It occurs at circa 1500rpm sometimes too

The revs sticking. I'm driving at a steady 50mph in 4th gear and I'm dipping the clutch with my foot off the throttle

AGHHHHHH I'm NEVER buying another new car EVER
Old 30 October 2012, 07:27 PM
DT-SPD
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I worked at Ford on the development of that engine for a few years, those video's are def not right, it should not behave like that.

I suggest that the EGR valve, throttle and turbo need to re-learn their positions, I've had similar problems when the EGR is playing up and just needs to re-learn.

You could try pulling the connector of the EGR and see if it helps, it will log a code and the dealer may then do something as they have a code. You could push for a new EGR valve.

Sadly Ford are let down by the dealers, I suggest you contact Ford directly and complain, mention you have been getting unintended acceleration ( even though you havent ) and you should get some response. If the dealer can not fix it they should call it through to the help line based in Colchester and go from there, sounds like the dealer is being very lazy.

Last edited by DT-SPD; 30 October 2012 at 07:53 PM.
Old 30 October 2012, 07:56 PM
mark1esc
Scooby Regular

i just brought a new eco 125psi ford focus titanium x i carnt fault the service but guess its early days only had it 4 days p.s get my scooby out tomoz
Old 30 October 2012, 08:27 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's Ford, what did you expect?
Old 30 October 2012, 08:32 PM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

Thats ford alright. Left mine in for a service , they crashed it , spent two weeks fixing it , and still wanted payed for the service ! Never went near them ever again.
Old 30 October 2012, 08:36 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Are they really as complacent proportionally as purveyors of much more expensive offerings
Old 30 October 2012, 09:24 PM
BLU
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DT-SPD
Sadly Ford are let down by the dealers, I suggest you contact Ford directly and complain, mention you have been getting unintended acceleration ( even though you havent ) and you should get some response. If the dealer can not fix it they should call it through to the help line based in Colchester and go from there, sounds like the dealer is being very lazy.
The first dealer was useless and lazy.
The second dealership have been great. They are being held back, in terms of what they're allowed to do, by Ford themselves. Its dealing with Ford directly thats pissed me off. Its them who keep saying its normal behaviour for the car. Quite simply, as the computer isn't saying theres a fault, they think theres nothing wrong......grrrrr. Quite clearly there is!

Originally Posted by dpb
Are they really as complacent proportionally as purveyors of much more expensive offerings
Thats a difficult one to address sir....
Old 01 November 2012, 02:47 AM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

I had a very similar issue on the Ford Cougar back in the day. I think it was something to do with the EGR valve if I remember rightly.

I also remember Ford making a pigs ear out of it and insisting you needed brand new everything at a cost of £100s. After going onto the Cougar forum I picked up a rubber washer from B and Q for 70p and fitted it to one of the hoses myself. No idea what it was for, why it happened or anything but just followed instructions from those who did and it worked.

Last edited by SRSport; 01 November 2012 at 02:50 AM.
Old 14 February 2013, 07:48 PM
mark1esc
Scooby Regular

i eat my words never had such crap service you was right nicey nicey when they are selling but dont give a dame when they have got your money
Old 14 February 2013, 08:30 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

3 1/2 months on, whats happened?
Old 16 February 2013, 07:42 PM
mark1esc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SRSport
3 1/2 months on, whats happened?
bought a 125 eco boost on a option that if we didnt like it or there was something wrong with it they would take it back but ,32mpg i would say there was something wrong, 3 months on 300 + phone calls trading standards and told them we will take it to watch dog they are now changing the car my advice is dont give up
Old 16 February 2013, 07:44 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

That is shocking. Very disappointed to hear that about Ford.
Old 17 February 2013, 10:13 AM
Rapid17
Scooby Regular

Was the car ever fixed ?
Old 17 February 2013, 11:10 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I do believe this is a dealership/tech competance problem. You see alot of these guys do their training courses then plonked into the service centre and expected to know how to fix cars from just looking a bulletin on a TIS computer. They struggle to think outside the box or work a problem through by fully understanding how the components of a vehicle operate and their interelating dependance on various other components.

I'd speculate that Ford UK, like other manufacturers will pay for the stuff on warranty for the initial diagnosis, but if that diagnosis appears to be incorrect, its the dealerships fault so they have to foot the bill for the follow up work...hence the repeated fob-offs.

Had the same experience with VW...At first, as always, they'll honestly try and fix a problem. But when that fails to fix it they then seem to be uninterested in any further rectification. I even paid the 2nd dealership £40 inspection/tech fee for them to come up with the same conclusion as the original dealership. Long story short, I didn't get anywhere with any of them....I had to go and fix it myself at my own expense.

Problem is no I have no faith in them at all...for example I know I have a coilpack(s) that is slightly weak, from reading up on forums, it also maybe a coilpack thats part of a VAG exchange/recall as and when they fail. But I don't have the facilities or equipment to prove that, nor do I have access to bulletins listing the part numbers of the faulty/recalled coil packs. I just know its not quite right, but to confirm this I have to pay £40 to a VW tech to confirm this.....after the last time, does anyone honestly think I want to do that again and be fobbed off with a "can't find anything wrong" simply because the car doesn't log any fault codes and appears to ok on a 10minute drive round the block?

Currently have a customer who has an issue with her new plate Fiesta....from new it keeps getting vibration/judder when braking. I've looked at it and there is a very slight run-out issue on the hub/flange on which the brake disk sits on.....Ford dealership keeps changing the disks and pad. She is on her third set of disks and pads on a car with less than 10,000miles. And get this, they want to fit ANOTHER set of brake disks and pads. The fault is the hub but they somehow don't want to or know how to set up a dial guage to prove that its hub the causing the disk to wear out of true.

Last edited by ALi-B; 17 February 2013 at 11:12 AM.
Old 17 February 2013, 02:39 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

The more I read the more Im realising that atrocious service is not restricted to just 1 or 2 marques. Ford as mentioned here, Mercedes, BMW, VW and Audi, Subaru. They take up huge chunks of the market. Are there any marques that actually provide a good, reliable level of service?
Old 17 February 2013, 07:28 PM
mark1esc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rapid17
Was the car ever fixed ?
no mate swopping for a 16 tdi 13 plate