Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Audi Coupe Quattro - What would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 20 June 2012, 11:37 AM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Audi Coupe Quattro - What would you do?

As some of you know, I have an old Audi Coupe Quattro 2.3 20V. It is 21 years old and has been garaged for the last 9/10 years.
I can't get it to start, not surprising. Seems to be an electrical fault somewhere. Living in the sticks, mechanic thinks mice have been at the wires All guess work, though and to be honest, am not prepared to spend what could turn into a fortune, trying to work out what is wrong with it. It might be a simple job, it might not.
Anyway, would you sell it as a non runner, break it up or just keep it garaged until it gets to a grand old age and may become a classic.

Here's the auld fella (not my Son btw )

Old 20 June 2012, 02:07 PM
fastmike
Scooby Regular

I,de get it looked at .........if it was a runner when it was garaged it might be something simple......first thing charge battery and check for fuel pump primeing noise when turning ignition on then for spark at plugs....... Just cos it could be damage caused by mice doesnt mean it IS .
Old 20 June 2012, 04:18 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Are there signs of mice, ie droppings and the interior eaten to pieces or little ***** of paper/other material in hidey holes around the car, not too difficult to spot.

If there are then chances are it's the mice and they have probably eaten half the car away.

If not then it's probably something quite simple, and as above just a process of elimination.

Did you just park it and walk away? have you tried to start it at all in the last 10yrs?

I also don't think it's worth a fortune, as it's in the in between phase of being a classic although that said it is more the one to have of it's era, unfortunatly i think you will be lucky to see £500 as a non runner so depends if you need the space or the cash.
Old 20 June 2012, 05:41 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Thanks Mike

Ditchmyster, the interior is immaculate. Nothing touched in there. 3 years ago, I got it MOT'd for the hell of it and it passed with flying colours. It was then parked in the garage again as my Son could not get insured on it. The mice appear to have been in the engine somewhere. A few droppings in there. The bloke who has looked after it all these years just does not have the time to spend, looking for what the problem might be. To be honest, it is in such good nick, I might just keep it. My Son will get to an age where he will be able to get sensible insurance on it. Think I have just talked myself into keeping it, haven't I . I bought it at 2 years old and have every bit of history, down to all the tax discs and mots. It's only got about 95k miles on it too.
Old 20 June 2012, 08:17 PM
fastmike
Scooby Regular

Where in the country are you ?..... If your not too far away I,l come and take a look
Old 20 June 2012, 08:41 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Can't be much to these things.

If the starter motor turns the engine then two things you need to look for; fuel and spark.

Spray some easy start in the intake (remove air filter), then crank it over and see if coughs and splutters....if it does show signs of life, you have spark, so look at the fuel injection (pump, relays etc). If there are no sign of life you don't have any spark so look at the ignition components (amplifier, coil, relay/after market immobilsers)......or the cambelt has broke.

Fact of the matter is a car is easier to sell if it runs.

Last edited by ALi-B; 20 June 2012 at 08:43 PM.
Old 20 June 2012, 08:43 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like it's something quite simple that just needs a bit of tinkering, with all the history i think your best off keeping it and they are great cars, i had the previous shape audi gt when i was 18yrs old was an absolute hoot,uber reliable and a real babe magnet.

Have you looked at classic insurance, and people like Norwich union, i was involved in installing trackers for their pilot scheme, and they now do policies where you have a tracker fitted, which also monitors the driver and speeds, times of day the car is driven ect, maybe if your son goes with them and agrees some terms like not driving after 11.30 ect, ect they will take him on, i believe it's common practice for younger drivers these days to get a reduction.
Old 20 June 2012, 10:02 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

keeping things simple

it is either fuel/air - to much, to little, or non at all

or a spark - non, weak, or not at the right time

or both

(assuming the engine is not totally fubard)
Old 20 June 2012, 11:09 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Originally Posted by fastmike
Where in the country are you ?..... If your not too far away I,l come and take a look
Newcastle upon Tyne area. A bit far for you to travel Thank you anyway.
I agree with you all, I also think it is a simple problem to fix. The chap just does not have the time to look for it.
It has been a cracking car, not a pick of bother. I am going to keep it. The farm where I work has a barn where he stores his machinery, mouse free. He is going to store it there for me, covered. I spoke to an Audi enthusiast and he said it is worth keeping as it will become a classic eventually. Apparently, according to DVLA there are only 70 of these cars left
I propose to find someone who likes to tinker with cars and has nothing better to do. Thank you everyone for your input. Much appreciated

hodgy, apart from mouse poo, engine is clean.

Last edited by Lee247; 20 June 2012 at 11:10 PM.
Old 21 June 2012, 08:01 AM
fastmike
Scooby Regular

Yes you ARE far away LOL ..... good luck with it and dont weaken.