Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Audi S3

Search this Thread

Old 15 May 2012, 11:15 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Audi S3

Anyone had one, kind of toying with the idea of changing from my 54 wrx wagon ppp.

With fuel costs being what they are i'd like something cheaper to run but that has a bit of poke for the odd bit of fun, but just can't seem to find anything 3/5 door as i can't entertain a saloon.
Old 15 May 2012, 11:38 AM
legacy_gtb
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very boring to drive! Theyre fine as a day to day runabout! comfortable, quiet and loafy .... but when you push them on the understeer is enfuriating! And if pushed hard regularly they gobble tyres like george best gobbled tequilas!

What about LPG converting your scoob? best of both worlds then!
Old 15 May 2012, 11:39 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're talking the 2.0T 260ish HP one? Always wondered what they'd be like, I think they look good and the lap times seemed good which whilst not that relevant to a road car does suggest it can be chucked around OK.

Do you need AWD?
Old 15 May 2012, 11:55 AM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Pretty common and dull but never driving one.
Old 15 May 2012, 04:11 PM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

Is an Audi S3 really going to be cheaper to run?
Old 15 May 2012, 04:15 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

The s3 2.0t 260hp is deffinattly not cheaper to run, they gobble fuel when you push them. Nice car though imo.
Nissan micra if you want cheaper to run car
Old 15 May 2012, 04:28 PM
Truss
Scooby Regular

My dad has a sprint blue pearl 3 door S3. Its a nice car, good looking, goes ok, but i think it seems a bit tame, a remap would certainly wake it up.
Out of the few times ive driven it, it does what it says on the tin; its pretty comfortable, nice toys, when you put your foot down it goes, but you have to provoke it, handles pretty well.
Although he thinks that the fuel usage between my tuned blob sti and his s3 is very similar.
He is 50 and not looking for something as harsh and frantic as a subaru, im 23 and think the s3 is a bit too comfy. Its the pick of the VAG hatches without doubt.
If you want anymore insight, let me know and ill ask him!
Old 15 May 2012, 05:11 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the responses, thats the reason i asked about them as i'm at a bit of a loss, the awd is not really a factor but is nice to have the only real thing that i need it to have is a hatch.

The ones i have seen seem to be around the 250bhp mark, i have also seen an 09 plate diesel A3 for £4k and was tempted by that because if i'm not going to have the umph of a subaru i at least want a bit of style and comfort as well as reasonable fuel consumption.

As for gas converting i believe that will cost about £1k which kind of defeats the object on a 7yr old car that does 5/10k ish a year.

Thing is i just don't know what i want, so any suggestions welcome 4k budget but even less is better as i don't like having cars i care about too much
Old 15 May 2012, 05:18 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Civic type r 04/05, fun to drive with indipendant rear suspension. Group 17 ins and not bad on fuel considering.

Last edited by bustaMOVEs; 15 May 2012 at 05:22 PM.
Old 15 May 2012, 09:01 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

Have a search on here, the same question has been asked a fair few times before and will most likely include my feelings on the 08 plate S3 I had for 3 years.

Richard
Old 15 May 2012, 11:30 PM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

I went from a modified 2003 WRX into a new 61 plate S3 sport back black edition S-tronic and I bloody love it! LOL. It is a damn stealth machine. I have done 7k miles in it and the trip 2 computer says 25.4 mpg overall, and that is for the whole 7k miles.
Normal journeys and long runs i get like 27 to 29 mpg. tbh, the Subaru was doing 25 mpg anyway but that was it and lower. My S3 is a different league to the Subaru but I loved my 8 years in that also. The S-tronic is superb imho. Mine is Shark stage 1 and DSG gearbox mapped and was RR at 309 bhp and 320 ib/ft but the way the torque us delivered is superb. Smooth aint the word. Awesome is. Definitely better than my Subaru was with its mods and I prefer it.
I do not drive on the limits of either car. I do not track my cars. I am not an awesome driver, etc so this really is just a 'basic' opinion of the S3. I cannot talk about on the limit driving as I am not good enough to do any of it!
Old 16 May 2012, 07:03 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

I'm confused, i have been trolling all over the place looking for something thats going to float my boat, and i just can't seem to find anything that will be significantly better on fuel in day to day driving, then provide thrills for the odd weekend blast, as well as being reliable for tooling across europe a couple of times a year.

I like Audis and had a couple over the years but that was a long time ago, but i think the new crop will get boring after a while and i'll find myself sniffing around scooby's again in a few months, like so many do.

At the moment the civic type r seems to be the front runner, but the looks do nothing for me, and with the front wheel drive i think i'll find its limits very quickly, opinions please.
Old 16 May 2012, 07:22 AM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It's a difficult decision isn't it. You look at diesels for significantly better mpg, but real world usage is quite far away from suggested figures.

Work out how much more fuel you would use on a 1200 mile Europe trip and the it would prolly cost an extra 150 quid...
Old 16 May 2012, 08:36 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Yes very difficult to find something, i recently did 1000 ish miles in a new bmw x1 for around £100 in fuel which was great, but boring as hell, the depreciation and service costs of new cars far outweigh any fuel savings so thats a no go for an old skinflint like me, as i just hate wasting my money on things like that and would do servicing and most repairs myself so as to know it's been done and properly, just lost all faith in garages/mechanics, as if i get stung by another cowboy outfit i'm liable to drive it through their front window, so thats a no go.

Heeeeeeeeeeeelp.
Old 16 May 2012, 08:57 AM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

I'm considering selling my wagon (keeping the Type R ), for something more suited for everyday/motorway friendly, but retaining some dog carrying capability and practicality

Was thinking of a Clio (182 Trophy etc), and now a Golf TDi...

Let me know when(/if) you find something
Old 16 May 2012, 10:17 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

lol, were were separated at birth, i have a blob wagon ppp and a type r all be it in bits at the moment but just can't bring myself to part with it.

I have looked at the clio and a good friend has the latest version, but just not too convinced by them and just a bit too small, iv'e ummed and ahhed about a golf but would rather be in an audi, looked at a A4 tdi but just worried about the injectors going **** up and costing a fortune to replace, but the mpg figures are impressive just don't wan't to sacrafice the fun factor.
Old 16 May 2012, 01:18 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

BMW 120d/330d or Renaultsport Megane 175dci are pretty pokey and can be had for CTR money.
Old 16 May 2012, 03:45 PM
Truss
Scooby Regular

what about an intergra type r, the dc5? That may be the only "sensible-ish" car id part with the subaru for.
Old 16 May 2012, 03:59 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jonc
BMW 120d/330d or Renaultsport Megane 175dci are pretty pokey and can be had for CTR money.
I'm a bit frightened of BMW's as everyone i know that had an old ish one ended up throwing a shed load of cash at it, which is why i've never owned one, and as for the renault i think i'd sooner go for the clio 182 or the CTR.
Old 16 May 2012, 04:02 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Truss
what about an intergra type r, the dc5? That may be the only "sensible-ish" car id part with the subaru for.
I quite like these but the ones i have seen are 6/7k and i don't want to spend that much on a car i'd sooner keep the wagon and spend the extra on fuel.
Old 16 May 2012, 04:02 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
lol, were were separated at birth, i have a blob wagon ppp and a type r all be it in bits at the moment but just can't bring myself to part with it.

I have looked at the clio and a good friend has the latest version, but just not too convinced by them and just a bit too small, iv'e ummed and ahhed about a golf but would rather be in an audi, looked at a A4 tdi but just worried about the injectors going **** up and costing a fortune to replace, but the mpg figures are impressive just don't wan't to sacrafice the fun factor.
I'll not part with the Type R but i might let the Wagon go...

So we're not much closer then
Old 16 May 2012, 04:05 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Truss
I went for a DC5 - lasted 6 weeks. Had to thrash it to get anywhere. Very tiring. Handled sublimely though. Something like that with a lot more torque would fit the bill
Old 16 May 2012, 04:07 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

I'm a bit frightened of BMW's as everyone i know that had an old ish one ended up throwing a shed load of cash at it, which is why i've never owned one, and as for the renault i think i'd sooner go for the clio 182 or the CTR.
As we've established we're now twins why not do a car share on a Clio 182?
Old 16 May 2012, 05:09 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Always fancied one, but they are french and everyone always says the build quality is crap as well as dodgy electrics. ummm
Old 16 May 2012, 05:42 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Well I've had my Clio Trophy over 4 years and also had a Clio 172 over 2 years and neither failed me and were 100% reliable. HTH.
Old 16 May 2012, 06:08 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jonc
Well I've had my Clio Trophy over 4 years and also had a Clio 172 over 2 years and neither failed me and were 100% reliable. HTH.
How old is yours? Got a pic pls
Old 16 May 2012, 07:44 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

I've just spent an hour or so looking at clios and the 172 can be had for well under 2k, the 182 at 2/3k which doesn't seem too bad, i'd be interested to know real world mpg and what to watch out for on them and what goes wrong.

Still think they are a bit small though, but could possibly live with that if the numbers stack up.
Old 16 May 2012, 08:09 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

I've just spent an hour or so looking at clios and the 172 can be had for well under 2k, the 182 at 2/3k which doesn't seem too bad, i'd be interested to know real world mpg and what to watch out for on them and what goes wrong.

Still think they are a bit small though, but could possibly live with that if the numbers stack up.
They are about my 'closest' too. Lightweight, nimble & playful, while still being cheap

Have a look at this thread. Even Tony Burns reckons they're OK

Doesn't Honest John have a 'real world mpg' section?

Last edited by bonesetter; 16 May 2012 at 08:30 PM.
Old 16 May 2012, 08:27 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Honest John has the 2.0 VVT listed. Not sure if it's the one we're looking at, but the figures are 38.7 mpg claimed, 30 mpg real, 27–34.1 mpg real range

link
Old 16 May 2012, 08:59 PM
bluenosewrx
Scooby Regular

What about Megane R26 230???? can surprise a few more expensive cars and handle really well.

cracking cars and 30 MPG is real world.

Quick Reply: Audi S3