Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

One for Dingdong....

Search this Thread

Old 19 February 2012, 05:00 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default One for Dingdong....

Chuck away that 535d you've got, and buy one of these.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/www.autocar...-Turbo/261229/

I went out in this actual car yesterday (pre-production model and the only one in the world) and was totally blown away by it!

Just incredible for a derv!
Look at the torque - 516 lbft / 1500 rpm.

I'm hoping the same engine goes into the next D3 in 2 years time....

Last edited by zip106; 19 February 2012 at 05:04 PM.
Old 19 February 2012, 06:30 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Fair enough if you're in the market for a diesel ... they can't really compete with petrol performance cars though can they? What would this compete with, the M5? If so the M5 would blitz it surely?

TX.
Old 19 February 2012, 07:06 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Depends if you desperately want a petrol performance car.

It appears from conversations yesterday that 80% of enquiries have been from buyers looking at purchasing the new M5 but then seeing this.

I've never been in the M5, but for me I'd have to seriously consider the D5 if I was in that situation.

The acceleration, torque and stopping power this derv has is just incredible.
Along with an mpg of 47 compared to very low 20's in the M, would make for a hard decision.

I think Sutcliffes final paragraph sums it up nicely, from what I experienced.

Last edited by zip106; 19 February 2012 at 07:09 PM.
Old 19 February 2012, 08:34 PM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

Still hacks me off at the pumps getting covered in diesel

Figures are good,but really though,does anyone in the market for a proper and expensive performance car worry about

cost of tax disc

what mpg

Unless they aren't quite rich enough to really be in that territory
Old 19 February 2012, 08:40 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

You get covered in diesel?

I've had diesel vehicles since 1988 and have yet to get covered in it!

That aside...
A car like the D5 would make a far better daily drive proposition than an M5.
Purchase price alone is nearly £25k less.
Old 19 February 2012, 09:56 PM
bighead
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by zip106
A car like the D5 would make a far better daily drive proposition than an M5.
Purchase price alone is nearly £25k less.

They £25K cheaper for a reason
Old 19 February 2012, 10:11 PM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

[quote=zip106;10496045]You get covered in diesel?

[quote]

Yup..every time I pick up the pump I think..bow locks...needed the plastic gloves sure once I went to the lorry pump too..500 gallons a second

Don't get me wrong.Love diesel power and how its delivered.Not so chuffed with short rev range in diesel manuals.Reality is though,think any petrolhead prefers petrol,proper gears,rorty engine and rich people who can afford supercars won't be eying up diesels
Old 20 February 2012, 10:07 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

LOl @ cars like this as they are complete waste and contradiction.

47mpg after spending 55k and 3 years after losing half that and more, people that can do that don't or shouldn't care what mpg they get if as above they really can afford it, the only consideration for me would be the amount of time spent at the petrol station compared to an m5.

And as for the other numbers, 5.2 0 to 62 is hardly ground breaking and 170 top speed who does that, doesn't a remapped 330 or 535 do the same or as near as makes no difference.

These cars just don't add up for me, ok i get them, but if you can afford one don't see why you would want one.
Old 20 February 2012, 11:26 AM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
LOl @ cars like this as they are complete waste and contradiction.

47mpg after spending 55k and 3 years after losing half that and more, people that can do that don't or shouldn't care what mpg they get if as above they really can afford it, the only consideration for me would be the amount of time spent at the petrol station compared to an m5.

And as for the other numbers, 5.2 0 to 62 is hardly ground breaking and 170 top speed who does that, doesn't a remapped 330 or 535 do the same or as near as makes no difference.

These cars just don't add up for me, ok i get them, but if you can afford one don't see why you would want one.

It's not just about 0-60 though is it?

Until you've been in one, you wouldn't understand.

I really don't understand the notion that people who could afford XYZ petrol version wouldn't care about derv economy...
I bought an Alpina D3, could've bought an M3 or anything else (in fact seriously looked into the M3 with a view to buy), but the fact that I get better ride quality and mpg out of a diesel, along with fair exclusivity swayed the D3.(and I don't really need a 400bhp petrol car...been there, done that - no need for it )

The D5 would do the same for me.

The thing that many people don't understand is that an Alpina isn't just about a bit of extra trim and a tweaked engine.
Go and drive one, even just a D/B3 and you'll realise that ride, handling quality is almost unsurpassed for a car of that type.

A remapped 330 or 535 isn't in the same league handling/ride wise as standard

Sutcliffe is a very well thought of journo who makes decisions on having driven a car - he's not in the pocket of any manufacturer and says what he thinks.
I think you should give some credence to the guys findings.
Old 21 February 2012, 12:38 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Zip

I think the reason this car is good is that they have ditched the run flats and fiddled with the suspension. Do you know whether Alpina have beefed up the brakes?

At this sort of money though somebody might be better off thinking about the upcoming MX5 thing that will have three turbos, 400 bhp and 4wd as an extra bonus.

Anyway, I've learnt my lesson with trying to be sensible. No more diesel, halfway house type cars for me. The next car, which I'll hopefully be getting soon, will be a full Amg/m power/audi rs machine.

I'm out of the country at the moment but as soon as I'm back I'll be testing the new M5. I'll wait to see what the new rs4 avant is like as well, but my heart is heading towards a c63 amg estate with amg performance pack. NA engine packing 480 BHP in a compact saloon could be very nice indeed.

Cheers

(The rum cocktails are very nice out here btw
Old 21 February 2012, 01:00 PM
Jimpreza
Scooby Regular

Ok for some Ding .

Did you get my PM last week about the AMG/M3? Didn't know if it had gone as my inbox was full. I presume the performance pack includes the LSD.
Old 21 February 2012, 11:44 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jimpreza
Ok for some Ding .

Did you get my PM last week about the AMG/M3? Didn't know if it had gone as my inbox was full. I presume the performance pack includes the LSD.

Yes got the mail I think ie the ones regarding why you chose the M3 etc?

I'm getting offered similar deals on the amg that you got on the M3 from independant brokers and waiting to hear back from MB what a car with PP will cost over 2 years.

When I get back I need to drive the amg again to pay more attention to the gearbox to see if the slower changes you mentioned bother me.

I also need to drive the M5. If it really blows me away then I might hang on to the 535d for a bit longer until second hand M5s appear at more sensible money. Somehow I don't think it will blow me away, it is too big and heavy.

When I test drovethe c63 and e63 (non turbo version) back to back I instantly preferred the c63. It felt far more nimble and seemed the sort of car I could throw about and have fun in. The e63 felt its size and weight.

Cheers
Old 22 February 2012, 01:03 PM
Jimpreza
Scooby Regular

Yes I agree with the size issues as the M5 I saw in the show room looked huge. Lovely motor though.

I think you'll find the AMG gearbox good as long as you haven't drove the M3's DCT. I've had the DCT for 2 years and can't fault it. The C63 is worth it just for the sound.

Last edited by Jimpreza; 22 February 2012 at 01:04 PM.
Old 22 February 2012, 01:09 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

but bmw do have a uncanny ability to make large cars feel very small when driven