Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

My other vehicle!!

Search this Thread

Old 28 January 2012, 06:39 PM
sbushby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My other vehicle!!

While my Scoobs is being rebuilt I decided I needed a run about, so as luck would have it, I was offered a gem of a car. i picked this mk1 gti up with mot and full service history. Same owner since 1992, always garaged and a tiny 97000 miles . Obvioulsy, there is a little rust, but all cosmetic so no worries there.
http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/...ma/Odds066.jpg
http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/...ma/Odds068.jpg
http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/...ma/Odds074.jpg

Problem now is my wife has fallen in love with what she is calling "Rita, the retro speed wagon"..... Might have to keep it after Scoobs back lol
Old 29 January 2012, 08:59 AM
Wilky_Boy
Scooby Regular

Love it ! I was a VW man before I bought my Scooby. Had a two MK1s, two MK2s and a MK3. If you tidy 'Rita' up with original parts you shouldn't lose a penny on that. They are becoming very desireable. Nice one mate, nice to see a MK1 in the hands of an enthusiast !
Old 29 January 2012, 09:07 AM
Davey96wrx
Scooby Regular

That's lovely I'd hang on to that and mint it up if I were you, getting a very rare sight on the roads!
Old 29 January 2012, 10:07 AM
MRSIMPSON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well if you don't keep it give me a shout, I love it too
Old 29 January 2012, 07:54 PM
sbushby
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the good comments guys. Ill be keeping her for a while I think and most definately looking at replacing bits with proper parts. Bit of a summer project
Old 29 January 2012, 07:59 PM
super_ted
Scooby Regular

Nice, let me know if you ever sell up. Have a soft spot for vw's.
Old 30 January 2012, 12:14 AM
WRXrowdy
Scooby Regular

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

Nice, a mate had one in the same mars red, lovely car to drive.

I bought a mk1 cab for the missus a few years back that we still have and I tinker with now and again but we hardly do any mileage in it, only a few hundred every summer.
My parents and brother don't like it and keep telling me to sell it but we won't, but we always get offers on it, notes put through our door asking if its for sale, and comments on it being a nice motor even when parked next to the scoob.

One thing to check though if your not familiar with these cars, the petrol filler neck on them rot out (very common problem), causing rust, dirt and water to contaminate the fuel tank causing running problems which I have had to deal with but easily solved.
Old 30 January 2012, 01:46 PM
sbushby
Scooby Regular

WRXrowdy, Ive had a quick look and tank filler does look rusty, what are you reccomendations??
Old 30 January 2012, 09:14 PM
crookedvulture
BANNED

That is a bobby dazzler,probably worth a small fortune.
Old 30 January 2012, 09:31 PM
addi monster
Scooby Regular

nice motor, i had one in white years ago, hold on to it mate it will be worth a bob or too soon,.
Old 01 February 2012, 08:34 AM
WRXrowdy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sbushby
WRXrowdy, Ive had a quick look and tank filler does look rusty, what are you reccomendations??
Replace the filler neck, it isn't a difficult job and not expensive either, when I bought my filler neck a couple of summers back it cost £35 from GSF (although for a cabriolet they are actually £110 but the hard top ones fit if You cut 6" off the tank end of filler neck)

Have a look on the mk1 golf owners forum, there is a helpful guide on there that shows you step by step how to do this (with pictures).
You should be able to see any holes if you take the filler cap off and look down it from there, as they rot near the top where road debris builds up, if it is looking rusty but not holed yet I would still recommend replacing it or you will end up having to take the tank out and drain/flush it to get all the crap out unless you go through the top from the sender unit and fish it all out from there.
Old 01 February 2012, 04:27 PM
WRXrowdy
Scooby Regular

I didn't have time to explain how earlier as had to go to work but to change the filler neck you will need to remove the rear wheel, then disconnect a breather pipe near the top of the filler neck between the filler neck and the inner wheel arch. There is also a bolt that goes through a small bracket attached to the filler neck that bolts to the inner wheel arch to secure it that is located just below the breather pipe. The filler neck is attached to the fuel tank via a small section of rubber hose held on with jubilee clips, this will need to be removed and placed on to the new filler neck. Then you will need to remove three screws that hold the filler neck on to the vehicle body that are located around the filler cap underneath the round black filler neck trim (this will need pealing off and sticking back on). The filler neck is now ready to be removed.

If you need a replacement filler neck trim they are available, along with many other parts, from a company called CrazyQuiffs mk1 Golf Emporium.
This company also sell what is called a dashboard vent trim kit that is a very good way of spending a tenner if you plan on using the car through winter. The holes in the dashboard at the base of the windscreen tend to have the vinyl come unstuck, blocking the vent and stopping warm air from demisting the windscreen. This kit not only tidys the dashboard up but allows the air to reach the windscreen thus demisting it.
They also sell window winders, I see your passenger side winder has snapped. Hope this is of some help and enjoy the car .
Old 01 February 2012, 07:24 PM
sbushby
Scooby Regular

WRXrowdy, cheers for the info. Filler neck not holed yet, but definately showing corrosion around cap. I agree, get it sorted soon, as dont want the hassle of dropping tank to clean out etc

Good spot on the winder aswell, I have been looking and a pair are on around a tenner, so glad to see this work will be cheap, happy days
Old 01 February 2012, 08:21 PM
WRXrowdy
Scooby Regular

Yep, most things are pretty cheap, some can be expensive for what they are, like some badges, campaign steering wheels etc, but there are bargains to be had, for example a mate of mine is stripping out a mk1 GTI and converting it to a wide track race car, he bagged a 16v K block engine for it for £1 on ebay!
Old 01 February 2012, 09:49 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Nice

I've had three over the years and loved them, really wish I'd kept hold of my silver 1600

Engine and suspension parts are still widely available and reasonably priced, both standard spec and uprated, and they are really easy to work on yourself

As rowdy says it's the GTi trim parts that are hard to come by and expensive, but it looks as if yours is complete in that respect.

14" wheels improve the ride and handling no end, anything bigger and the ride suffers, but they do look good