Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Audi A8 4.2 Quattro (03 onwards) anybody?

Search this Thread

Old 23 April 2011, 01:40 AM
Razorwrx1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi A8 4.2 Quattro (03 onwards) anybody?

Just looking on EBay etc.

Some are selling for around £5500K with FSH and 125K Clock. Nothing on these Engines!

Seems with fuel prices going up and up these cars are dropping. £52K New!

Anybody owned one or know out about them?

Read reviews and people love em. All the Toys and 335bhp. I know fuel's not great but I won't be using it everyday. Company Van!

Cheers Guys
Old 23 April 2011, 10:40 AM
Frosticles
Scooby Regular

Lovely cars and sound awesome but £££££££££££££££££££££££'s to run
Need deep pockets these days for one
Old 23 April 2011, 11:53 AM
Razorwrx1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Frosticles
Lovely cars and sound awesome but £££££££££££££££££££££££'s to run
Need deep pockets these days for one
Really mate. I know the cam belt is 80K or 5yrs. 8 spark plugs etc! Apart from that was hoping there were bullet proof.

Thanks for the heads up buddy.

Maybe a BMW E39 540i Sport Then

Just thinking about a car with Toys and Power.
Old 23 April 2011, 10:33 PM
mattvortex
Scooby Regular

I dont think theyd be that expensive to run/service, especially as you say that its only light use- its not a Ferrari!

I have a Merc SL500 that costs little extra to run than my Ford Ranger pickup.
Old 23 April 2011, 10:41 PM
skinner
Scooby Regular

My mate has a s8 and all that has gone wrong is a front sidelight bulb metled the inside of the lamp somehow and he had to get a new one and every few years the oil seal at the back of the gear box to the prop starts to weep due to the car not getting used much.He says it is thirsty round town but ok on a run.
Old 23 April 2011, 11:54 PM
Razorwrx1
Scooby Regular

Thanks for your reply's guys. Just looking about!

This one looks ok. I'd change the wheels and get the Windows done tho

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2003-AUDI-A8-4...#ht_925wt_1054
Old 24 April 2011, 02:26 PM
alanbell
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Razorwrx1
Thanks for your reply's guys. Just looking about!

This one looks ok. I'd change the wheels and get the Windows done tho

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2003-AUDI-A8-4...#ht_925wt_1054
alot of car for very little money, if i were to get a a8 it would be the diesal 4.2 sport, remapped there far better and faster than the over rated 535/335 bm
Old 24 April 2011, 05:45 PM
Razorwrx1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alanbell
alot of car for very little money, if i were to get a a8 it would be the diesal 4.2 sport, remapped there far better and faster than the over rated 535/335 bm
I'm with you on that one mate, just can't afford those ones if I got one! Cracking power figures tho.
Old 24 April 2011, 07:17 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Always amusing when a halfwit pushes his opinion onto others...

A lot of car for very little money; if I was to get an A8, it would be the diesel 4.2 Sport - remapped they're far better and faster than the overrated 535/335 BM

Your spelling and grammar are about as useful as your opinions
Old 24 April 2011, 08:34 PM
alanbell
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Matteeboy

A lot of car for very little money; if I was to get an A8, it would be the diesel 4.2 Sport - remapped they're far better and faster than the overrated 535/335 BM

tosser
Old 24 April 2011, 08:39 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

tosser
You should be grateful - I usually charge for proof reading.
Old 24 April 2011, 08:51 PM
alanbell
Scooby Regular

You should be grateful - I usually charge for proof reading.
:
Old 24 April 2011, 09:09 PM
The Dogs B******s
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dare you to say it to his face.
Old 24 April 2011, 09:36 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Dogs B******s
First rule of internet forum club- never try and make out yourself or a mate is well 'ard.
Old 24 April 2011, 09:44 PM
The Dogs B******s
Scooby Regular

First rule of internet forum club- never try and make out yourself or a mate is well 'ard.
Second Rule,,,,,,,,,,try not to be a Bellend
Old 24 April 2011, 09:46 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Second Rule,,,,,,,,,,try not to be a Bellend
Fair comment
Old 24 April 2011, 09:50 PM
alanbell
Scooby Regular

tosser
Old 24 April 2011, 09:53 PM
alanbell
Scooby Regular

hello neil,
Old 24 April 2011, 10:08 PM
The Dogs B******s
Scooby Regular

hello neil,
Now then Alan
Old 24 April 2011, 10:52 PM
scooby-tc
Scooby Regular

The Audi is a far nicer place to be than the BM but you have to factor in cambelt change which is circa £1200 on these V8 engines and at best will return low 20s to the gallon on a decent run and about 18mpg round town.Engines are bullet proof if regulaly maintained and largely made from aluminium panels so aren't as heavy as they look.Insurance seems to have gone quite high on top end Audis so bear that in mind and replacing brakes won't be cheap on the A8 but overall a much nicer car than the equivelent BMW and i have just gone from a V8 RS6 to 335 so can give unbiased opinions unlike some on here

Just make sure you find one with full ASH and preferably with warranty as the sensors on these engines can be mega pricy should they fail and watch out for torque converter issues on Auto boxes
Old 25 April 2011, 12:54 PM
matth76
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by skinner
My mate has a s8 and all that has gone wrong is a front sidelight bulb metled the inside of the lamp somehow and he had to get a new one and every few years the oil seal at the back of the gear box to the prop starts to weep due to the car not getting used much.He says it is thirsty round town but ok on a run.
Isn't the S8 a 5.2ltr v10? Verrrry nice! I love all the A8's, more so when I watched The Transporter where he drives a W12 a8, which is equally as nice as the S8 with an even bigger 6ltr engine but strangely a lot cheaper than the S8 but more powerful. Go for it I say and with the 4.2 v8 and a nice stainless exhaust you'll be loving the note
Old 25 April 2011, 01:21 PM
Razorwrx1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooby-tc
The Audi is a far nicer place to be than the BM but you have to factor in cambelt change which is circa £1200 on these V8 engines and at best will return low 20s to the gallon on a decent run and about 18mpg round town.Engines are bullet proof if regulaly maintained and largely made from aluminium panels so aren't as heavy as they look.Insurance seems to have gone quite high on top end Audis so bear that in mind and replacing brakes won't be cheap on the A8 but overall a much nicer car than the equivelent BMW and i have just gone from a V8 RS6 to 335 so can give unbiased opinions unlike some on here

Just make sure you find one with full ASH and preferably with warranty as the sensors on these engines can be mega pricy should they fail and watch out for torque converter issues on Auto boxes
Thanks for all that mate, really helpful! Not to bothered over the mpg, was thinking about the Mondeo st220 3.0v6. But there forum them lot are getting 18-21 around town. Rather have the Audi! Did a quick price on comparemarket the other night. Cheapest was £937, my Scoob with mods was £1400. Paying £700 now so should get it cheaper than £937. Just that cambelt £1200. Sold a fiat coupe turbo 20v turbo years ago because it needed a cambelt. Cheapest I got for that was £800. Ok if I got that was already done Better have a think! Strange cos I prefer the inside of the Audi but the outside of the E39 sport. Like you said tho nicer place to be! Thanks again buddy.
Old 25 April 2011, 01:22 PM
Razorwrx1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by matth76
Isn't the S8 a 5.2ltr v10? Verrrry nice! I love all the A8's, more so when I watched The Transporter where he drives a W12 a8, which is equally as nice as the S8 with an even bigger 6ltr engine but strangely a lot cheaper than the S8 but more powerful. Go for it I say and with the 4.2 v8 and a nice stainless exhaust you'll be loving the note
I saw that film the other night. W12, sure that's the same engine they put in Lambo's. Could be wrong tho!
Old 25 April 2011, 02:00 PM
alanbell
Scooby Regular

the new S8 & S6 5.2 is the Lambo,s based engine, (i have a S6)
Old 25 April 2011, 07:31 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

I have a 4.0tdi A8 as my daily driver. Pulls like a train, economical on the motorway (40mpg @wellabovethelimit), a bit heavy around town (average 23 if I'm gentle).

Watch out for electricals - they are very expensive to fix, if mine has to go to the dealer, which it has several times, the bill is always £500+. Mine seems prone to handbrake ECU's as water gets in to the boot and the ECU is in the spare wheel well- £625 every time it goes in. My user ECU went wonky, so everything was in german every morning, cost best part of £1000 to fix. Keyless go works, but the doors won't open from buttons on the door handles.

All in all its a great car, I really do love it, but it costs a fortune to run one way and another. I paid £12k for it two years ago, I have the original bill of sale for £76,800, and it does have the running costs to go with it!
Old 25 April 2011, 08:46 PM
Razorwrx1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RRH
I have a 4.0tdi A8 as my daily driver. Pulls like a train, economical on the motorway (40mpg @wellabovethelimit), a bit heavy around town (average 23 if I'm gentle).

Watch out for electricals - they are very expensive to fix, if mine has to go to the dealer, which it has several times, the bill is always £500+. Mine seems prone to handbrake ECU's as water gets in to the boot and the ECU is in the spare wheel well- £625 every time it goes in. My user ECU went wonky, so everything was in german every morning, cost best part of £1000 to fix. Keyless go works, but the doors won't open from buttons on the door handles.

All in all its a great car, I really do love it, but it costs a fortune to run one way and another. I paid £12k for it two years ago, I have the original bill of sale for £76,800, and it does have the running costs to go with it!
Really mate. I was hoping the running cost's wasn't that bad. I know you get it with most car's (common faults etc) but with a baby here in June he/she's gonna chew most of our spare cash up in the 1st year or so. 60yrs as my mate say's

Really appreciate the heads up

I think we might be leaving this one for afew years!

I've never spent more than £6.5K on a car in 17yrs of driving. Always wanted something like this but now after you put that up we can't afford anything like that. I've always gone for fast cars but with nothing in em, this time I thought I'd nailed it with the prices dropping on these A8's.

Thanks again Pal Putting threads up like this and getting replys really makes me wonder how we struggled years ago. Just buying Different Mags every month with Buying guide's in them

Cheer's Guys for all your help and stuff

Thinking about it, Best car I've had non fault wise only (Reliable Factor) was... A Yaris T-Sport. Sold that for the Scoob, just board with the Yaris. Saying that £72K for the Audi, £13K for the Yaris (New Prices) Really get what you pay for
Old 25 April 2011, 08:50 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

Ooo just to add, Handbrake ecu fail engages parking brakes, which will only release when plugged in to the computer at audi (or you remove the motors from the rear brakes, wind them off manually, then disconnect the parking brake systems. Not funny. Stranded me a few times.
Old 25 April 2011, 09:41 PM
nick172sport
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Razorwrx1
Really mate. I was hoping the running cost's wasn't that bad. I know you get it with most car's (common faults etc) but with a baby here in June he/she's gonna chew most of our spare cash up in the 1st year or so. 60yrs as my mate say's

Really appreciate the heads up

I think we might be leaving this one for afew years!

I've never spent more than £6.5K on a car in 17yrs of driving. Always wanted something like this but now after you put that up we can't afford anything like that. I've always gone for fast cars but with nothing in em, this time I thought I'd nailed it with the prices dropping on these A8's.

Thanks again Pal Putting threads up like this and getting replys really makes me wonder how we struggled years ago. Just buying Different Mags every month with Buying guide's in them

Cheer's Guys for all your help and stuff

Thinking about it, Best car I've had non fault wise only (Reliable Factor) was... A Yaris T-Sport. Sold that for the Scoob, just board with the Yaris. Saying that £72K for the Audi, £13K for the Yaris (New Prices) Really get what you pay for
child on the way craig stay with your scoob
Old 25 April 2011, 10:11 PM
Razorwrx1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RRH
Ooo just to add, Handbrake ecu fail engages parking brakes, which will only release when plugged in to the computer at audi (or you remove the motors from the rear brakes, wind them off manually, then disconnect the parking brake systems. Not funny. Stranded me a few times.
Bet you still love it tho.

Would Have one defo if we didn't have the little one on the way.

Sounds awful that, but you guys no what I mean
Old 25 April 2011, 10:13 PM
Razorwrx1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nick172sport
child on the way craig stay with your scoob
I know mate. Only give it the beans once a month if that now. When baby's here they will always be in it.