Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Golf TDi

Search this Thread

Old 13 March 2011, 02:52 PM
mad555
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Golf TDi

Anyone experience of a Golf GT TDi 170 with a DSG gearbox?Im currently looking at changing to one.
Old 13 March 2011, 04:24 PM
scud8
Scooby Regular

I've got a Golf TDI with the DSG box, but it's only the 105PS engine (bought it for fuel economy and cheap tax rather than performance).
Old 13 March 2011, 04:30 PM
mad555
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scud8
I've got a Golf TDI with the DSG box, but it's only the 105PS engine (bought it for fuel economy and cheap tax rather than performance).
How do you find the DSG box?
Old 13 March 2011, 04:30 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

I had a Mk5 Golf GT Sport 170TDI - But a manual.

I bought it as an ex-Demo. Came with Leather interior, Ipod connection, and R32 Alloys.

The car is basically a Golf GTI, but with a TDI lump up front. Apart from 0-60 times, I think the in-gear acceleration is better than the GTI.

It handled very well, quite sporting in fact. With a pretty lead foot it still returned mpg in the mid 30's.

I was very impressed with it TBH. Would deffo reccomend one. Nearly bought a MK6 GTD. But the near £30k asking price put me off.

I never chipped mine (nearly did) but I would say that a chipped 170TDI Golf would be a little flyer. In standard tune, overtaking was never really an issue.

Can't comment on the DSG bit though.
Old 13 March 2011, 07:43 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mid 30's even with a lead foot sounds thirsty. I can drive my Wife's Fab VRS like i stole it with a boot full of luggage and return 48 mpg.
Old 13 March 2011, 08:05 PM
yellowvanman
Scooby Regular

We have a Golf GT Tdi 170 Sport, but a manual. As Stilover, it's a good car, plenty quick enough for normal use.
We get the same mpg, the wife uses the car most of the time and it returns around 40mpg, up to 48 on a run, and low 30's if I use it.
Old 13 March 2011, 08:32 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

We have one so agree with all you say other than we average 40-45 around town, over 50 on a run.
Nik

Originally Posted by stilover
I had a Mk5 Golf GT Sport 170TDI - But a manual.

I bought it as an ex-Demo. Came with Leather interior, Ipod connection, and R32 Alloys.

The car is basically a Golf GTI, but with a TDI lump up front. Apart from 0-60 times, I think the in-gear acceleration is better than the GTI.

It handled very well, quite sporting in fact. With a pretty lead foot it still returned mpg in the mid 30's.

I was very impressed with it TBH. Would deffo reccomend one. Nearly bought a MK6 GTD. But the near £30k asking price put me off.

I never chipped mine (nearly did) but I would say that a chipped 170TDI Golf would be a little flyer. In standard tune, overtaking was never really an issue.

Can't comment on the DSG bit though.
Old 13 March 2011, 08:36 PM
wrighty338
Scooby Regular

when i first got my mk4 130 and the guy delivered it, he managed 62mpg average! remaps can free up econemy with upto 70mpg been had i do believe

might chop the mk4 in for a m5 DSG next year though. LOVE mk5's
Old 13 March 2011, 08:52 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Computer figuers or actual? Wifey's VRS is the same engine and i would think to get thosefigures would require a very light foot.
Old 13 March 2011, 08:53 PM
scud8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mad555
How do you find the DSG box?
It's a very impressive bit of kit. Shifts are very smooth, almost unnoticeable going up through the gears. I paid the extra for the flappy paddles, but I drive it in auto almost all the time because the box seems to make sensible decisions on its own.
Old 13 March 2011, 08:57 PM
wrx sti ppp
Scooby Regular

i too am looking at getting into a mk5 gt tdi (amongst some others) which is why i am now selling the scoob. the golf has great build quality and some sporting pretentions as well as good economy...what's not to like? ;-)
Old 13 March 2011, 09:48 PM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

I own a Seat Leon Sport with the 140 engine, love it, great chassis engine is fantastic so can definately recommend them.
Only thing to be aware of is the 170 VAG engine has an adittional filter on the exhaust which if the car is not given a good motorway run reguarly quickly becomes clogged and I believe is expensive to sort, the 140 engine does not suffer this
Old 13 March 2011, 09:53 PM
F1 CJE UK
Scooby Regular

i have a skoda vrs with the same tdi lump, great car to drive and if you go carefull you can get good MPG 50 on a long run (45 normal day to day) if the badge is not a issues check out the skoda they have lots of very good deals at the min, 6-7k less than the same VW
Old 14 March 2011, 07:27 PM
Frosticles
Scooby Regular

Used to have a MK4 Golf PD150 with a re-map to 204 with 460NM's of torque. Was the best car I have ever owned. Was thinking about the MK5 but needed more space so bought a BMW instead. The DSG Gearbox has a great reputation for smoothness and reliability. Get one bought.
Old 14 March 2011, 07:31 PM
F1 CJE UK
Scooby Regular

i went for a test in a DSG VRS and i didnt like it, it holds the high revs too long.
Old 15 March 2011, 02:00 PM
Jonto
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by F1 CJE UK
i went for a test in a DSG VRS and i didnt like it, it holds the high revs too long.
Then change gear!
Old 15 March 2011, 04:50 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Frosticles
Used to have a MK4 Golf PD150 with a re-map to 204 with 460NM's of torque. Was the best car I have ever owned. Was thinking about the MK5 but needed more space so bought a BMW instead. The DSG Gearbox has a great reputation for smoothness and reliability. Get one bought.
You must live somewhere with VERY straight roads?

Mk4 Golf chassis (except the somehow miraculously transformed R32) was APPALLING and extra power and torque in a car already unable to handle it would suit only the smoothest and straightest of roads.

And that engine was as rough as a bag of rusty nails.

DSG is good on the move but try low speed driving/manoeuvering - it all goes wrong.
Old 15 March 2011, 05:24 PM
mattvortex
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Matteeboy

Mk4 Golf chassis (except the somehow miraculously transformed R32) was APPALLING and extra power and torque in a car already unable to handle it would suit only the smoothest and straightest of roads.

DSG is good on the move but try low speed driving/manoeuvering - it all goes wrong.

Very true! Back in 1998, my brother bought a brand new Audi A3 1.8t ( Basically same chassis as Golf). Even back then, the chassis felt very dull with wooden steering- god knows what it feels like now!

Mind you, at the time i drove a Clio Williams so maybe a bit of an unfair comparison!
Old 15 March 2011, 05:55 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Matt - VW were clearly embarrassed by the mk4 so nicked the Focus chassis engineer for the mk5 - hence why it handled again!

Imagine owning and loving a mk4 R32 for a year, being forced to sell it because of vandals and looking for a "stealth" alternative (while a die hard Golf fan) - obvious answer? The 150bhp diesel or the petrol GTi (1.8t) - drove both and was utterly gobsmacked at how shockingly bad they were. My wife, a keen driver (she learned to drive in a WRX wagon!) was the most vocally negative I've ever heard her be about them both.
Tested a new (at the time) 1.9CDTi Astra 150 - and bought one. Handling way better and a much more refined engine. Astra beats Golf - shocking! I suspect it might be the other way around now!
Old 15 March 2011, 05:58 PM
Frosticles
Scooby Regular

Yes, It did torque steer quite a bit. Even more so on 18" wheels. It was lowered on Eibach springs on VW's sports suspension with 10mm spacers on the rear and 6mm on the front. I thought it then handled quite well then. Agree, as standard set up's go then unless they have the sports suspension as an option from the factory, they can feel a little wooly on the road.

Couple of pics of my old one.

Old 15 March 2011, 06:02 PM
mattvortex
Scooby Regular

Matt - VW were clearly embarrassed by the mk4 so nicked the Focus chassis engineer for the mk5 - hence why it handled again!

Imagine owning and loving a mk4 R32 for a year, being forced to sell it because of vandals and looking for a "stealth" alternative (while a die hard Golf fan) - obvious answer? The 150bhp diesel or the petrol GTi (1.8t) - drove both and was utterly gobsmacked at how shockingly bad they were. My wife, a keen driver (she learned to drive in a WRX wagon!) was the most vocally negative I've ever heard her be about them both.
Tested a new (at the time) 1.9CDTi Astra 150 - and bought one. Handling way better and a much more refined engine. Astra beats Golf - shocking! I suspect it might be the other way around now!

Ive heard it quoted before;

Mk4 Golf- looks sharp, handles soft

Mk5-looks soft, handles sharp!
Old 15 March 2011, 06:06 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Frost -that does look good.

This is my old mk4:

Old 15 March 2011, 06:09 PM
Frosticles
Scooby Regular