Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

BMW X5

Search this Thread

Old 27 February 2011, 07:54 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BMW X5

Thinking about my next car and was contemplating a Rangie but image/running costs/ reliability have put me off. Thought I'd ask BMWnet

Saw that BMW have a 40d X5 which I believe is the 3 litre diesel with twin turbos mated to an 8 speed auto. Looks an ideal car, bit of poke and sensible running costs.

Anyone know anything about them? What are residuals like? Delivery times etc please.
Old 28 February 2011, 07:15 AM
drb5
Scooby Regular

Residuals are probably the best for the higher end 4X4's.

Delivery times should be the usual 3 months, unless there is a waiting list, but i doubt that.

I wouldn't buy new unless you get a deal like faither did.....over 10 grand off list price for a 35d M-Sport.
Old 28 February 2011, 09:36 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Still have image issues but annoyingly good. Should be plenty new ones in stock. 40d unit is very good and pretty bullet proof. Residuals never great on big SUVs but these hold fairly well.

Try and resist MASSIVE wheels and tyres and it'll be okay in snow/ice/mud. Very well fitted out - big sunroof is a must have option IMO. Boot not as big as you'd expect but still useful - deeper but possibly not as long as a B8 in the back.
Old 28 February 2011, 11:22 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Thanks both. Another alternative would be a Cayenne Hybrid.

Luggage space not too much of an issue, the B8 is massive and we rarely use anywhere near capacity. These days we get a taxi to airport for hols.

Massive wheels? Bigger than the 20" I assume?
Old 28 February 2011, 11:38 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Yep - even 20 is pushing it. 19s are plenty IMO - inlaws X5 copes in snow and light offroading okay on 19s. Expect gruesome tyres bills even with 19s - they are enormous!
Old 28 February 2011, 11:43 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

I doubt it, my S4 is up to a heady 6500 miles. Tyres are generally not an expense
Old 28 February 2011, 10:17 PM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

Bloody X5! Footballers wife's tat! Pants in a millimetre of snow and ice,woeful image,chavtastic,wouldn't be seen dead in one!!!!!!!

Then after someone pranged our X Trail and the insurers gave us one as 'like for like' for a few days,fell in love

Brilliant! Know nothing about delivery times,price etc as well out of our price league but loved our two days in one.How the other half live
Old 28 February 2011, 10:41 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You selling the S4?
Old 01 March 2011, 07:34 AM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner.co.uk Plymouth Dyno Dynamics RR Engine machining and building EcuTek SimTek mapping

I just sold a Range Rover and bought one. Not a new one!
I bought a 3.0 D Sport in beige. I deliberately looked for beige as it's the least chavvy looking one, and I figured that anybody who buys a brand new beige one wouldn't be a former hoodie. It has a low mileage, and in perfect condition, which bears that one out!
It won't be good off road, but we have a Pajero that is seriously good at crossing fields.
The ride is harder than the Range Rover, but on the plus side, it handles better, and of course everything works.
We Superchipped it, which added 100 lbs ft!
I've no doubt I'll go back to the RR at some stage, I've owned three altogether, but it won't be until I've forgotten about all the niggly problems.
Old 01 March 2011, 09:37 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by john banks
You selling the S4?
Not quite yet John, but starting to look.
Old 01 March 2011, 09:39 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lozgti1
Bloody X5! Footballers wife's tat! Pants in a millimetre of snow and ice,woeful image,chavtastic,wouldn't be seen dead in one!!!!!!!

Then after someone pranged our X Trail and the insurers gave us one as 'like for like' for a few days,fell in love

Brilliant! Know nothing about delivery times,price etc as well out of our price league but loved our two days in one.How the other half live
lol sucked me right in there.

Originally Posted by Alan Jeffery
I just sold a Range Rover and bought one. Not a new one!
I bought a 3.0 D Sport in beige. I deliberately looked for beige as it's the least chavvy looking one, and I figured that anybody who buys a brand new beige one wouldn't be a former hoodie. It has a low mileage, and in perfect condition, which bears that one out!
It won't be good off road, but we have a Pajero that is seriously good at crossing fields.
The ride is harder than the Range Rover, but on the plus side, it handles better, and of course everything works.
We Superchipped it, which added 100 lbs ft!
I've no doubt I'll go back to the RR at some stage, I've owned three altogether, but it won't be until I've forgotten about all the niggly problems.
Not sure whether I do Chavvy either, but I do draw the line at beige!
Old 27 September 2011, 12:49 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Well S4 is going and X5 on order. Didn't quite get 10k off but a decent enough 10%. Middle age is here
Old 27 September 2011, 02:49 PM
drb5
Scooby Regular

New one? What model/spec?
Old 27 September 2011, 03:29 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

How about a toe-rag? Cheaper?
Old 27 September 2011, 04:08 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Yup a new one drb5, TBH I went to test a 9month old one which wasnt quite the spec I wanted and by the time you take into account the new car feel, some discount and 0% interest you're only talking a few k

Spec is pretty boring, 40d M Sport, Black on Black with roof, 20" wheels, Comfort access, Media Pack (with Nav), Privacy, Adaptive lights, F+R Heated Seats, Professional HiFi. Mobile apps, Comfort Seats, Camera.

Tony, the Tourag looks good, but the rep the old one had is pretty bad and I can't help but think if I'd bought one I'd have wished for the Beemer, I can't imagine the other way around. The Beemer is also (like for like) more powerful, quicker and arguably better put together although the direct competitor, the V6 Tdi is about 6k cheaper list.
Old 27 September 2011, 04:29 PM
drb5
Scooby Regular

0% interest eh? That's not bad!

M-Sport is a great deal over the SE, but the engine....lovely!

What is it, 8 weeks for delivery?
Old 27 September 2011, 04:34 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

They're telling me 12, but 8 would be great as I'm now carless!

Really impressive piece of kit, and a wonderful drive. Even the wife liked it. There is possibly a new one out in 2014 so not the most up to date but still looks the dogs!

Yup, basically 50% deposit then nothing to pay for two years. Then balance or walk away.
Old 27 September 2011, 05:23 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MattW
Tony, the Tourag looks good, but the rep the old one had is pretty bad and I can't help but think if I'd bought one I'd have wished for the Beemer, I can't imagine the other way around. The Beemer is also (like for like) more powerful, quicker and arguably better put together although the direct competitor, the V6 Tdi is about 6k cheaper list.
I can't see the point of a performance pissing contest in a car format which cripples performance by its nature. Just my thoughts...
Old 27 September 2011, 05:30 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful
I can't see the point of a performance pissing contest in a car format which cripples performance by its nature. Just my thoughts...
Check out the figures, they are still performance cars.
Old 27 September 2011, 05:39 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Check out the figures, they are still performance cars.
Ok then we just go through the looking glass - what is a 'performance car' exactly?

Too heavy, too big, center of gravity too high - for me - to ever be a 'performance car' despite how much power you put in them.

I'm not knocking them really, but I'd just get a economical diesel engine - makes most sense - the 'performance engines' are pure marketing.
Old 27 September 2011, 05:45 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Maybe, but they fill a market, otherwise they wouldn't sell. Look at the X5M, totally bonkers but it does sell.

You're correct though in that there is no way I'd take it round the Ring or expect it to outperform a 911 down a B road. Horses for courses though, will still put a smile on my face with a decent shove in the back. Am not quite ready for pipe and slippers yet
Old 27 September 2011, 10:51 PM
Skoobie Dhu
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

A lot of the driving fun with the E70 X5 is it performs way better than anyone would expect it to - given the height and bulk. You really can throw it around quickly, even on B class roads.
My 07 3.0d is approaching 75k miles, only grief has been front wheel bearings and it's just bust a front spring - maybe something to do with throwing it around quickly on B class roads
Old 27 September 2011, 11:17 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Maybe, but they fill a market, otherwise they wouldn't sell. Look at the X5M, totally bonkers but it does sell.

You're correct though in that there is no way I'd take it round the Ring or expect it to outperform a 911 down a B road. Horses for courses though, will still put a smile on my face with a decent shove in the back. Am not quite ready for pipe and slippers yet
The other thing about big SUV's is they don't bounce off Armco but roll over them and flip.
Old 27 September 2011, 11:44 PM
brendy76
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wife blares about in our 4.6 IS x5 and it ticks every box when it comes to performance, storage, comfort, rear bench for three kiddie seats etc. Came with the standard 20"ers and tyres are not just as expensive as some make out. Like any car if you do big hard miles it will use a little rubber but certainly not more noticeably than any of my previous cars.
Old 28 September 2011, 08:28 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful
The other thing about big SUV's is they don't bounce off Armco but roll over them and flip.
Thanks, I'll bear the warning in mind.