Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Which Van....Renault, VW or Mercedes

Search this Thread

Old 22 July 2010, 10:23 PM
Mog
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Van....Renault, VW or Mercedes

I have a Renault Trafic Sport at the moment but fancy a change in October, the new trafic sport is largely unchanged apart from the interior being revamped (includes built in tom tom +bluetooth). The new VW transporter sportline comes out in a couple of months...like the look of the old ones, finally the Vito sport x don't know much about these.

Anyone got any experience/thoughts on these...money is not the issue

Mog
Old 22 July 2010, 10:27 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mog
I have a Renault Trafic Sport at the moment but fancy a change in October, the new trafic sport is largely unchanged apart from the interior being revamped (includes built in tom tom +bluetooth). The new VW transporter sportline comes out in a couple of months...like the look of the old ones, finally the Vito sport x don't know much about these.

Anyone got any experience/thoughts on these...money is not the issue

Mog
id go with the current vw transporter sportline fella as the new one will bring prices down abit and there a very reliable van as well as being comfortable and fast also not to bad on price to service.
Old 22 July 2010, 10:50 PM
Oilburner
Scooby Regular

What about the Transit Sport Van?

Last edited by Oilburner; 22 July 2010 at 10:51 PM.
Old 23 July 2010, 12:52 AM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

I bought a Viano from new (2008) for my business in Ibiza and I was pleasantly surprised. It felt solid and although it got thrashed up and down all the mountain villa tracks, it never missed a beat. If money isn't an issue I would go for the Mercedes but be aware it does depreciate heavily which was the only down side.

What will it be used for?
Old 23 July 2010, 09:04 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

I drove all of them, bought a T5, it was the only one that drove like a car. 3 years in and it's still tight as a drum.
Old 23 July 2010, 09:27 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

T5s are brilliant and yep, the Sportline does look very cool!
Old 23 July 2010, 01:56 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SRSport
I bought a Viano from new (2008) for my business in Ibiza and I was pleasantly surprised. It felt solid and although it got thrashed up and down all the mountain villa tracks, it never missed a beat. If money isn't an issue I would go for the Mercedes but be aware it does depreciate heavily which was the only down side.

What will it be used for?
Mercedes Vans hold there money better than any other van and are a league above anything else. I have one of the first new generation sprinters (56 reg) I paid about £22k+ Vat for it and I am going to sell it for about £12+ vat with 170,000 miles on it. If it was any other van (transit, Master, Iveco) it would be worth about 10p

New vito coming out end of this year I think!
Old 23 July 2010, 02:08 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

You're dreaming if you think you're getting that much money
http://vans.autotrader.co.uk/search?...cheap%2520vito
Old 23 July 2010, 02:33 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can pick up a Sprinter 311 CDI (2009) LWB for 13k with 21.5k on the clock, but I would go with the transit too

Tony
Old 23 July 2010, 02:34 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby Soon!
Mercedes Vans hold there money better than any other van and are a league above anything else. I have one of the first new generation sprinters (56 reg) I paid about £22k+ Vat for it and I am going to sell it for about £12+ vat with 170,000 miles on it. If it was any other van (transit, Master, Iveco) it would be worth about 10p

Agreed they are a league above anything else, and especially for image (although I appreciate they arent the same thing) as the clients I was driving wouldnt have been happy in anything less that a 3 pointed star.

Sorry I should have said the depreciation was in the Spanish market. I paid e36,000 and sold it with 36,000km 2 years old for e20,000

Last edited by SRSport; 23 July 2010 at 02:35 PM.
Old 23 July 2010, 02:36 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

They are all vitos in that link mine is a Sprinter with a special modified body on it, plenty of people waiting in the wings for it as soon as I sell it as the replacement is going to cost me £28k + VAT as they have gone up a massive amount since I purchased this current one. Those vans in the ads may look fine in the pics but every secondhand van I have ever seen had been completely and utterly f****d that's why you have to go new when looking for a van!

If money is no object and you want the best go for the Mercedes Vito/Sprinter if you are short on funds and don't mind second best go for VW.
Old 23 July 2010, 02:36 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

dp
Old 23 July 2010, 02:41 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Those vans in the ads may look fine in the pics but every secondhand van I have ever seen had been completely and utterly f****d that's why you have to go new when looking for a van!

If money is no object and you want the best go for the Mercedes Vito/Sprinter if you are short on funds and don't mind second best go for VW.
Good advice here.
Old 23 July 2010, 07:04 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

If you don't mind a pile of rust instead of a 5 year old van, go with the merc
Old 23 July 2010, 07:37 PM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

Don't discount the LDV
Old 31 July 2010, 08:34 PM
super_ted
Scooby Regular

After owning a transit, a traffic & a new generation crafter, I'd have a transit anyday! Do not get a vw, totally overpriced ****, mine spent more time at the dealer than on the rd. And don't get me started on there customer service!!
Get a transit, it will never let you down.
Old 31 July 2010, 10:22 PM
black ctr
Scooby Regular

mate dont want to **** on your chips but £14 k with the vat,for a 4 year old merc with mega miles 7k tops,and if you do get that price,please let me know as i have 4 56 plates with 80 k miles on them and cant give them away
Old 02 August 2010, 11:50 AM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by black ctr
mate dont want to **** on your chips but £14 k with the vat,for a 4 year old merc with mega miles 7k tops,and if you do get that price,please let me know as i have 4 56 plates with 80 k miles on them and cant give them away
What model are you selling as I may be interested in if they are cheap? what extras do they have, what engine? You don't need to worry about the VAT as you don't need to pay it!
Old 03 August 2010, 08:39 AM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Location: Throwing myself down a mountain at every opportunity...

Yep may also be interested here, please DM me details!

I'm in the same boat...need a swb van for moving art canvases, mountainbike trips and motorbike trips, have tested the vw and transit, as above the VW like driving a car, great gearbox. Not tried the vito yet.
Old 03 August 2010, 09:52 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Anyone have any thoughts on Citroen Relay? Guy who works for Rock Shox drives one all around Europe and loves it. Looking to spend more like 6-7k than 10k...

cheers\ed
Old 03 August 2010, 09:52 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Anyone have any thoughts on Citroen Relay? Guy who works for Rock Shox drives one all around Europe and loves it. Looking to spend more like 6-7k than 10k...

cheers\ed
Old 03 August 2010, 10:10 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Hmmm: http://www.fleetnews.co.uk/vans/revi...1h1-100/35173/
Old 04 August 2010, 11:39 AM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

Parcelforce, tuffnells, HDNL, city link, UPS, DHL all collect/deliver from us daily with sprinters and our own vans our sprinters. When I get home from work Tesco deliver my shopping in a sprinter does this tell you anything?

No delivery company that comes to us use transits but we do have the occasional citroen but these are normally owner drivers because they are so cheap to buy.
Old 04 August 2010, 01:54 PM
Jimpreza
Scooby Regular

I don't have a clue about vans but I have 2 mates that have just moved from VW because they were crap and have bought LWB Vivaro's and are well chuffed.
Old 13 August 2010, 09:41 PM
dazc2
Scooby Regular

From my experience of maintaining vans, there is only 3 manufacturers to consider.

Ford, VW and Mercedes.

The rest are just unreliable piles of junk, although the newer Relay and Expert might be better.

The Renault Master/Movano/Interstar are ridiculously difficult to keep on the road and need constant maintenance.

We maintain a Transit with 400,000 miles on the clock still on the original engine box and back axle and it drives pretty well for it's mileage. Still need only minimal maintenance. VWs can be a bit of a pain to maintain with the new particulate filters and some of the switch gear like electric window switches aren't quite as hard wearing as they could be. Mercs seem pretty good but used to crack heads when they got a bit of milage on them.