Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Clio 197 R27 F1

Search this Thread

Old 19 March 2010, 05:49 PM
codie247
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clio 197 R27 F1

Gonna have alook at a couple of these tomorrow, anyone had any experience of them? Reliability,mpg, servicing etc...

Cheers

Lee
Old 19 March 2010, 07:02 PM
beef-on-the-bone
Scooby Regular

alway had a soft spot for the megane version...................
Old 19 March 2010, 07:10 PM
codie247
Scooby Regular

Wife is after one intead of the scoob. Just looking for now.

Lee
Old 19 March 2010, 07:28 PM
beef-on-the-bone
Scooby Regular

in liquid yellow

she's keen on them too, but can't get her keen on the r26r......
Old 19 March 2010, 08:17 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

There are 2 problem with Renaults.

1) Build quality. Truely shocking. Had more squeeks and rattles on my Brand new Mk2 172 than on the 3 year old 106 GTI I traded in for it.

2) Renault dealers. Worse than the build quality.

Once you own one (and this counts for everyone I know who has owned one) you never want to own another one. My old man's partner had had nothing but trouble with her Megane. She's getting rid in the next couple months.
Old 19 March 2010, 09:36 PM
bmac800
Scooby Regular

As has been already posted the build quality and Renault dealers are absolutely shocking.My brothers wife had an 08 reg 197 for about six months and had to take it back for a new heater and glove box among other things.She said it was really hard on petrol and recently traded it in for a new shape Fiesta.

My wife has a 06 reg Megane and it is without doubt the biggest piece of plastic French crap I have ever laid eyes on.Faults include the ignition system packing in causing it to be recovered 100 miles to be fixed,the central locking packing in more than once,battery packed in and now it needs all pads and discs replaced for the MOT.The interior is made of the cheapest nastiest plastic you can imagine and the plastic front wings fit like they were put on by a 5 year old.
Old 20 March 2010, 01:58 PM
rabbos
Scooby Regular

The two renaultsports I have owned (172cup, R26R) were completely flawless tbh, no squeaks in 40k miles for the clio, didn't leave a trail of parts in my wake, used daily through winters etc. No hassle whatsoever and pure driving fun.

I would recommend them to anyone who enjoys driving and not too suggestible to exaggerated internet opinions . I have no experience of the normal range mind you.

My renault dealer was not any worse than the audi, ford, honda or subaru ones I have dealt with...

Trending Topics

Old 20 March 2010, 02:48 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

My eldest has a "standard" 197 sport on a 56 plate. His only problem has been the wiper motor packed up just out of warranty and cost him quite a lot of money

He loves the handling and performance. I've driven it and find it too low geared, but then, it does rev high. Will keep up with a Scoob though when driven enthusiastically, and has frightened one or two supposedly better cars on country roads.

His car has a LOT of toys including cornering lights, a brilliant climate control, selectable auto lights, cruise and max speed control, and a pretty decent sound sytem, Renaults own "Chabanne" top of the range system, plus the Renault Sport seats are lovely. We actually prefer them to the optional Recaros and they wear better too.

Dealers neither better nor worse than any others.

Last edited by alcazar; 20 March 2010 at 02:50 PM.
Old 20 March 2010, 03:37 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had 2 new renaults back in 92 & 93, one a 1.4 R19 energy, the next was a 1.8 R19 16V, the 16V came out of the factory with the standard sunroof rattle, dealers were appauling, I took the car for a service on a saturday (just an oil change) picked the car up 1.5hrs later, went home (7 miles) went out 40ish mins later and set off for some shopping, notice the BIG oil spill on the path, looked under the car to see they had not tightened up the sump plug , finger tightened it, drove back and complained, they came out with some bs about the washer being faulty, I then told them I had tightened up the sump plug they left loose, it went quiet then
Loved the cars, only had a fuse go in the 16v in 4 years, owned 3 in total of which I had no major issues with.

Tony
Old 20 March 2010, 04:20 PM
scoobyboothy
Scooby Regular

a mate at work is selling his clio!

2009 RENAULT CLIO 2.0 16V RenaultSport 200 3dr Hatchback
Old 20 March 2010, 08:44 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rabbos
The two renaultsports I have owned (172cup, R26R) were completely flawless tbh, no squeaks in 40k miles for the clio, didn't leave a trail of parts in my wake, used daily through winters etc. No hassle whatsoever and pure driving fun.

I would recommend them to anyone who enjoys driving and not too suggestible to exaggerated internet opinions . I have no experience of the normal range mind you.

My renault dealer was not any worse than the audi, ford, honda or subaru ones I have dealt with...
To have no faults...... you are lucky.

Exaggerated internet opinions? Not kidding, my 172 was in the dealer over 12 times within the very long 2 years I owned it. Those 12 times are for faults only, and not the at least double that times it went to the dealer to be fixed again.

At one point I Booked it in for them to look at fault. Didn't have the part, so car was booked in again. Car dropped off, and collected again by myself at 5:30pm to be told they hadn't recieved the part yet, and would need to bring it in again. Not once when dropping the car off did anyone mention they didn't have the part in yet. This happened twice in the 2 years ownership.

I got lied to on a couple of time by the dealer. Once, as when I dropped the car off one saturday morning to be fixed, I was asked if I'd like to wait. No I replied, it's a nice day, I'll have a walk down the town. Promissed the car would be ready in 1 hour. I returned after 1.5 hours to find the car exactly where I'd left it. Went to desk, asked if car had been fixed. "I'll see hbow they're doing sir" was the service man answer. I then turned to find a mechanic running out of the workshop, jumped in my car, and wheelspun it into the garage. The nice service man returned stating they'd had some difficulty getting the part off, but it should be ready in a few minutes. Once I pointed out what I'd just witnessed, he denied it and insisted they were working on the car when I'd walked in. After raising my voice within the dealership just so everyone could hear me, and restating what I'd witnessed and exactly what I though of him, his dealership and what renault would think of this, he just shrugged his shoulders, and told me I'd just have to wait. 1 Hour later I got my car back.

Not exaclty exaggerated internet opinions. Hard fact.
Old 21 March 2010, 06:35 PM
codie247
Scooby Regular

Well been to look at a few 197 today. Liked the new clio 200 and thought about it. While at one garage spotted a Megane R26. Looks are quirky and to an acquired taste but thought id have alook anyway. Nice inside, dash abit basic but seats spot on. More room in the Megane than clio, better for us. Now i was still looking at this stage until i test drove the megane. Awesome!! The way it handles is fantastic, nimble and light, so responsive. I knew they were good but not that good. So i think this is the car for me, to be honest and will look to sell the subaru. We shall see.

Lee
Old 23 March 2010, 02:26 AM
rabbos
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stilover
To have no faults...... you are lucky.

Exaggerated internet opinions? Not kidding, my 172 was in the dealer over 12 times within the very long 2 years I owned it. Those 12 times are for faults only, and not the at least double that times it went to the dealer to be fixed again.

At one point I Booked it in for them to look at fault. Didn't have the part, so car was booked in again. Car dropped off, and collected again by myself at 5:30pm to be told they hadn't recieved the part yet, and would need to bring it in again. Not once when dropping the car off did anyone mention they didn't have the part in yet. This happened twice in the 2 years ownership.

I got lied to on a couple of time by the dealer. Once, as when I dropped the car off one saturday morning to be fixed, I was asked if I'd like to wait. No I replied, it's a nice day, I'll have a walk down the town. Promissed the car would be ready in 1 hour. I returned after 1.5 hours to find the car exactly where I'd left it. Went to desk, asked if car had been fixed. "I'll see hbow they're doing sir" was the service man answer. I then turned to find a mechanic running out of the workshop, jumped in my car, and wheelspun it into the garage. The nice service man returned stating they'd had some difficulty getting the part off, but it should be ready in a few minutes. Once I pointed out what I'd just witnessed, he denied it and insisted they were working on the car when I'd walked in. After raising my voice within the dealership just so everyone could hear me, and restating what I'd witnessed and exactly what I though of him, his dealership and what renault would think of this, he just shrugged his shoulders, and told me I'd just have to wait. 1 Hour later I got my car back.

Not exaclty exaggerated internet opinions. Hard fact.
That does sound rubbish, but unfortunately that kind of thing goes on in loads of garages, not just renault dealers.

My old man's A4 was in and out of Audi at a similar rate to your 172, so I tend to ignore the 'perceived' brand values with regard to dealers. Has worked so far, but like you say maybe that's just luck...
Old 23 March 2010, 10:19 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

I had worse at a Vauxhall garage - damaged it, hoped we wouldn't see it (my wife spotted it just as we were about to drive away), told us to hire a car (no courtesy cars available) and they'd pay for it - they refused when I gave them the bill, wouldn't even give us a lift home (Astra engine had died under warranty) and my wife was 8 months pregnant at the time.

I seriously considered something pretty severe but TBH, I think they'll go bust soon. I plan to call them and laugh at them.

In the meantime never ever use Ward Vauxhall. Ever.
Old 23 March 2010, 12:42 PM
jonny_693
Scooby Regular

The only renault dealer I ever had problems with was Dick and sons and I believe they have gone bust now. Harrats on the other hand were fine.
Old 23 March 2010, 01:25 PM
verdasco1
Scooby Regular

was the megane that good, im in a similar boat looking for not too expensive car for the missus which i wouldnt mind having a burn up in now and again, was thinking clio 197 but they are like 10 grand for a flippin old renault, bit steep if you ask me.
Old 23 March 2010, 01:42 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by scoobyboothy
I appreciate its quite a capable car but £16K for a small french hot hatch?

No thanks
Old 23 March 2010, 01:56 PM
verdasco1
Scooby Regular

yeaaaaaaah you get a whole heap of scooooooby for 10 grand!
Old 23 March 2010, 07:15 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

I was reading a magazine last month whichm had a road test of the stock version vs a "cup" version.

IIRC it was an oldish Performance Car mag, anyway they had the 2 cars parked nose to nose, one yellow, one green, something in the text about there not being to many external differences, apart from one being lower?

Well the two cars in the photo had totally different panel gaps on the front wings for starters, pmsl, one of them, looked like the wing was rotated slightly at the bottom, cheap tacky ****e.