Sponsored by:

A very serious question

Search this Thread

Old 18 July 2001, 11:43 PM
babber
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Went out for a drive the other night and didn't believe my eyes. Came across a driver that I thought was having problems with her car. Came up behind, and she moved off, followed it for around 100 meters and realised she was pi55ed out of her face. Almost ran over a few people out for a walk, I mean mounted the pavement. They had to run out the way.

At this point thought, oh ****!!!! Beyond a joke, didn't know my local police station number, and didn't want to phone 999 (was this an emergency???). Phoned Vodaphone connect(197) and was waiting for at least 2 to 3 mins.

I followed the car (waiting to be connected to local plod) going slow then fast mounting the pavement once or twice, driving with a front passenger side flat. Staying wide on the otherside of the road to warn on coming drivers of the danger.

Still didn't get connected. She almost hit a few parked cars a couple of times. I'm sure she didn't have a clue what was going on. I was so stressed about this at the time and couldn't think straight. Thought many times I could over take and force brake the car, slight inpact, etc.

Still waiting to be connected, and suddenly the car went down a side street, I couldn't make the turn. Went down the road, and turned around. Went looking for the car after this but was gone!!!!

What should I have done ??? It's doing my head in!!!!!!

Cheers Phill C.

PS Keep thinking about children playing in the side roads and this pi55ed up women was driving around that day. I have four daughters

[This message has been edited by babber (edited 18 July 2001).]
Old 19 July 2001, 12:33 AM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

As the Police take a very dim view of drink drivers (as do we all) I suspect they would be more than happy for the 999 service to be used for reporting drink drivers. The 999 operater will soon tell you off if they think you are abusing the system.
Old 19 July 2001, 12:40 AM
babber
Scooby Regular

Wink

I wonder if our new traffic policeman would like to comment ? I think his name is Alan.

To be really honest I felt like overtaking and forcing the car to stop. If she hit me then the company would have to sort the damage out (company car). I would have thought that the fleet manager wouldn't be that pi55y with me. Anyway, I'm a higher grade than him, so what should I care

As much as I love my Scooby, I would damage her to save someone's life.

Cheers Phill C
Old 19 July 2001, 12:49 AM
RonaldoH
Scooby Regular

Phil. Its a grey area, you did the right thing. The shocking thing is that many people turn a blind eye to these events, for fear of getting involved.

In future, dial 112, you will get a stronger emergancy signal.

R
Old 19 July 2001, 01:58 AM
DuggE
Scooby Regular

Basically you should have noted the reg number down, phoned 999 and asked for the police. This was an emergency, this women had the potential to kill and needed to be stopped! Even if the police didn't arrive on scene, they could have traced the owner (assuming she was...) and given her a breath test....etc
Old 19 July 2001, 07:30 AM
Paul Wilson
Scooby Regular

Agree, even if its not actually an emergency, the fuzz won't give you a hard time if its a grey area. IMHO this was a clear cut emergency, someone was endangering peoples lives. I rang them a couple of weeks ago about an accident I had just seen in Milton Keynes, I could see that everyone was OK, but it was blocking one of the main grid roads in MK, now that wasn't really an emergency, but they did need to know.
Old 19 July 2001, 07:56 AM
mark.coleman
Scooby Regular

I would have probably also called 999, they would rather have had a call to get this person off the road than have made a visit to a family with distressing news.
Old 19 July 2001, 11:01 AM
babber
Scooby Regular

Angry

All,

Thanks for the replies, reason I didn't phone them, was this was my second time seeing a drink driver on the road.

First time I did phone 999, and to be really honest I didn't get a very good response. The person I spoke to was rude, and made me feel like I was the criminal.

I explained where I was, and asked them to be really quick as I was concerned. I wasn't driving the Scooby then, so I asked if I should overtake them, stop them and remove the keys. Was told "No way, they might get violent!!!". I told them I wasn't scared, and would only defend myself if he started, and was told "I could end up in court". HELLO!!!!

Eventually the driver pulled over, and went to sleep at the side of the road with the engine running.

I waited for around half an hour, still no Police presents (not having a go at Police here). Phoned 999 again, and explained yet again!! Was told they were very busy. I said "well so am I".

I thought bollocks to this and drove off. Got a mile or so up the road and found the Police, looking for something. Flashed them down, and told them where he was. Off they went.

Arrested the man, and they phoned a few days later for a statement. Was told that this guy was asleep at the wheel, engine running with a open (half drunk) bottle of whisky between his legs. He claimed that he hadn't been drink driving, but pulled over to have a drink and fell asleep. In the middle of the countryside, HELLO.

Police said that he might even get off, as he wasn't driving when they caught him, and my evidence was key.

Oh this made me laugh, he had been caught previously and was appearing in court later that week, so the Police wanted my statement to submit for this court appearance.

Mad isn't it ?

Cheers Phill C.
Old 19 July 2001, 11:03 AM
Shark
Scooby Regular

Angry

Thats a 999 job, and quick. She was a clear danger to the public and herself.

David
Old 19 July 2001, 11:23 AM
PeterJ
Scooby Regular

Sounds to me like you tried your best. Well done, most people would have ignored this.

Peter.
Old 19 July 2001, 11:34 AM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Cool

Think of it this way... I guy is reported for brandishing a sword in a public place... the police turn up and "deal" with the incident. A woman under the influence of alchohol is brandishing a tonne or more of blunt instrument, the police should turn up and deal with her. After all, the safety or the public is at risk.

I have reported similar incidents to the police in the past over the 999 number from my mobile... Apart from the annoying confirm your name and number stuff they do seem to take your call seriously.

Moray
Old 19 July 2001, 11:39 AM
babber
Scooby Regular

Hind sight is a great thing!!!

I still wish I did more, done my head in that night when I sat down relaxing watching the TV.

Cheers Phill C.

P.S I was so stressed at the time, I didn't think to take the number plate down. What a w***er.
Old 19 July 2001, 11:50 AM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Angry

Definitely a 999 job..

I was sitting in a restaurant in my home town the other week, looked outside to see two people staggering up the pavement with a pint each in their hands, they could just about walk straight..

Man passes pint to woman, then proceeds to get into a land rover... woman directs man to edge forward... BANG, merc infront takes damage to front bumper... then she directs him back, voila, hits the merc behind him and damages that car's front bumper.. repeats this manouver 3 or so times and eventually gets out of the space, woman gets in, hands him his drink, they drive off...

Meantime, I called 999, police turn up 10 so mins after the event, took a statment, but I've heard nothing since.

I find it amazing people do this!

Alex
Old 19 July 2001, 06:51 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Question

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by RonaldoH:
<B>In future, dial 112, you will get a stronger emergancy signal.[/quote]

R,

please explain the "signal" bit?

Sure, 112 is the GSM international emergency number, but how will this provide better coverage? If it does, then why don't the network providers do the same for 999?

mb

p.s. Phill C, this is definitely an emergency call (whether 999 or 112)!
Old 19 July 2001, 07:20 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Question

[Deleted due to duplicate post 'cos the "chinese" were messing about - shame they have such big boots!]

[This message has been edited by boomer (edited 19 July 2001).]
Old 19 July 2001, 07:40 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts
The signal thing's really interesting, theoreticly possible as you can - if you want to pay double - get better reception. I've done a quick search and can't find anything but would be most interested in further details.