Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

R33 gtr , anyone owned one??

Search this Thread

Old 24 December 2009, 10:28 PM
Mifo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default R33 gtr , anyone owned one??

Never driven one but Im really starting to fall for these cars, just starting to research into them at the minute.

Anyone had one ? Whats your opinion on them?
Obviously quite different to a scoob but how does it compare in , handling , power etc.

weight is similar to a newage impreza so how would a 300hp gtr fair against a 300hp newage impreza?

thanks for any help
Old 24 December 2009, 11:43 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

I've got one which I've had for about 2 years. Performance wise they're about 310 -320 bhp as standard and there aren't many standard ones around. Mine came with the standard exhaust which makes it feel strangled, a decat and decent system is a must. Do that, remap and up the boost to 1 bar gets you around the 400bhp mark. Mine was dyno'd at 375 on knackered turbos and kept up with my mates RS4. I previously had a bugeye WRX with 290bhp and it would leave that for dead every day of the week.

The power delivery is nothing like a Scoob. Where an Impreza gives you that kick in the back from anywhere between 0 - 100, thanks to tall gearing and the 8000rpm redline a GTR doesn't really get into it's stride until you're doing silly speeds. Flat out in 3rd is 115mph. It feels more subtle but once you're over 4000rpm it starts to fly.

The handling is great. At slower speeds they feel like a big, heavy car which can put you off throwing it around but once you start chucking it about a bit they sort of shrink round you, the rear wheel steering really helps turn in. They like to step the tail out but not so much that you're actually drifting although every now and then they'll try to kill you for fun.

They are very expensive to run and most are at the stage of needing decent money spending on them (anything from engine to suspension or transmission). They are also way more difficult to work on than Scoobs so cost more in labour.

The 33s also rust more than the 32s or 34s, check the rear arches, sills, boot floor and strut tops carefully.

I love mine but it's cost me well over £6k in bits and bobs (chasing more power) with another few grand to go. They become a bit of an obsession

Last edited by NotoriousREV; 24 December 2009 at 11:50 PM.
Old 26 December 2009, 07:30 PM
Mifo
Scooby Regular

cheers mate,thats a good review and tips, just got to wait till my wrx is gone then I ll start looking for one.
Old 27 December 2009, 06:43 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Brilliant cars, loved mine, but that was a few years ago when it was younger and it was still a money pit back then!
Old 29 December 2009, 11:17 AM
Mike123
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NotoriousREV
I've got one which I've had for about 2 years. Performance wise they're about 310 -320 bhp as standard and there aren't many standard ones around. Mine came with the standard exhaust which makes it feel strangled, a decat and decent system is a must. Do that, remap and up the boost to 1 bar gets you around the 400bhp mark. Mine was dyno'd at 375 on knackered turbos and kept up with my mates RS4. I previously had a bugeye WRX with 290bhp and it would leave that for dead every day of the week.

The power delivery is nothing like a Scoob. Where an Impreza gives you that kick in the back from anywhere between 0 - 100, thanks to tall gearing and the 8000rpm redline a GTR doesn't really get into it's stride until you're doing silly speeds. Flat out in 3rd is 115mph. It feels more subtle but once you're over 4000rpm it starts to fly.

The handling is great. At slower speeds they feel like a big, heavy car which can put you off throwing it around but once you start chucking it about a bit they sort of shrink round you, the rear wheel steering really helps turn in. They like to step the tail out but not so much that you're actually drifting although every now and then they'll try to kill you for fun.

They are very expensive to run and most are at the stage of needing decent money spending on them (anything from engine to suspension or transmission). They are also way more difficult to work on than Scoobs so cost more in labour.

The 33s also rust more than the 32s or 34s, check the rear arches, sills, boot floor and strut tops carefully.

I love mine but it's cost me well over £6k in bits and bobs (chasing more power) with another few grand to go. They become a bit of an obsession
When's it going to be finished? I thought Dan had sorted it out for you?
Old 29 December 2009, 12:53 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mike123
When's it going to be finished? I thought Dan had sorted it out for you?
Nah. Dan helped move things on a lot but still not finished. I've sworn never to work on my own cars again. I argued with someone some time back on this very board and in this very section that GTRs weren't *that* much harder to work on than Scoobies. I was wrong. So very, very wrong.

New turbos should be on by the end of Jan, if I get the manifolds ported in time. Then I'll probably get it running and send it to a tuna to get the rest done. I'm tired of messing about with it.
Old 29 December 2009, 02:18 PM
Mike123
Scooby Regular

Nah. Dan helped move things on a lot but still not finished. I've sworn never to work on my own cars again. I argued with someone some time back on this very board and in this very section that GTRs weren't *that* much harder to work on than Scoobies. I was wrong. So very, very wrong.

New turbos should be on by the end of Jan, if I get the manifolds ported in time. Then I'll probably get it running and send it to a tuna to get the rest done. I'm tired of messing about with it.
Ah, tis a shame, for sure.

Went well that day in Wales
Old 29 December 2009, 02:53 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mike123
Ah, tis a shame, for sure.

Went well that day in Wales
I'll get pics up of the state of the old turbos. One's got a damaged intake impeller and the other is pissing oil everywhere (especially over my back bumper )
Old 29 December 2009, 03:20 PM
Mike123
Scooby Regular

I'll get pics up of the state of the old turbos. One's got a damaged intake impeller and the other is pissing oil everywhere (especially over my back bumper )
Ah yes, I remember it got a bit blacker throughout the day!
Old 31 December 2009, 03:26 PM
beef-on-the-bone
Scooby Regular

quite tempted for an r32/3, even if only for a short time but the stories of running/owning costs puts me off............
Old 31 December 2009, 06:06 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

I know a couple of people who have gone from Subaru's to GTR/GTS's, and they all say the running costs are a lot more.

However, they all say they'd never go back to a Subaru as the Skyline is a much nicer car.
Old 31 December 2009, 07:37 PM
Mr Windscreen
Scooby Regular

Had a R32 GTR before my 03 WRX and would not go back to a skyline. VERY expensive to keep in good running order, parts are extremely over priced and from my own experience the subaru is far more chuckable around b roads, country lanes than the skyline. If you,ve got nice straight roads where you live then fine but if you want a car for the twisty roads then i,d take the subaru everytime.

Last edited by Mr Windscreen; 31 December 2009 at 07:38 PM.
Old 01 January 2010, 05:49 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

A Scoobier is a bit more weildy on the back roads but it's still possible to have fun in a Skyline. The restriction is the width but the weight doesn't really catch up with you till you hit the brakes