Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Mini Cooper

Search this Thread

Old 05 March 2002, 02:23 PM
Mal K
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have just got to say having had one on an extended demo for the day what an absolute blast this car is. When 'driven' on demanding B roads this car is easily as much fun as the Scoob. The quality of the whole car is superb, roll on the Cooper S. Anyone else had any experiences of the Cooper?
Mal
Old 05 March 2002, 04:26 PM
matt555teg-r
Scooby Regular

Wink

I took a Cooper out for a road test the other week, it really is a hoot, reminds me of a better put together 106GTI, roll on the Cooper S should be awesome......

matt
Old 05 March 2002, 04:41 PM
Stephen Read
Scooby Regular

I have one at the moment. I have done 2,500kms and enjoyed them all.

The short wheelbase and lower grip levels certainly make it more entertaining than the Scoob [IMO] most of the time .

I am not too happy about the ABS though. I seems to come in very abruptly and the sensation is not that pleasant. I am runing it on winter tyres which probably contributes towards this.

The nice thing is that it is possible to have fun in it without going mad but there have been some electrical gremlins which could probably be sorted out at the dealer but as it's a rental jobbie, I can't be bothered getting them seen to at the moment.

I left the sidelights on for 6hrs yesterday (the warning beeper has stopped working) and it started first thing which was a relief!

The upgrade CD system is ace. and I have had four people in it for a short journey and for some readon the performance wasn't dented as much as I remember my MY00 was with a full load. Strange that one....

In summary, a great car and a still a head turner (Silver with Black roof) however, I'd want to try it on summer tyres and siffer suspension before considering it as a long term plaything.

Better still, I would wait for the Cooper S and make sure I specified sports suspension (I suspect my one doesn't have this fitted and it feels like it needs stiffening-up).
Old 06 March 2002, 10:16 AM
MattOz
Scooby Regular

Cool

I had a MINI One when my BMW was in for a service, and it was an absolute blast. What a giggle. OK, so it was not that rapid down the straights, but through roundabouts and corners it was ace. Haven't enjoyed myself that much in a car for ages. Big

Anway, things being as they are, I've decided that I could really do with changing one of my cars. Therefore, the BMW is going, and a MINI Cooper is taking its place. I've specced it up a little, so it's just over £14K, but still fairly cheap. For sure, I could get an import Clio 172 or similar for less, but I just really like the build quality and looks of the MINI.

So, I pick it up this Friday!! Got a bit of running in to do, but then its fun fun fun all the way. One of the things that swung it for me was the serviving deal. £100 for 5yrs or 50K miles. Fantastic. That's already taken care of in the purchase price, so I'm laughing.

I'll try and get some piccies posted. It's running the Chilli pack and 17's, so looks the danglies.

Matt
Old 06 March 2002, 10:23 AM
BHORT
Scooby Regular

Matt,
Have you driven a chilli packed car with 17s? I tried one having had a standard cooper (no chilli and 15s) and the 2 cars were very different. I was very close to ordering a Cooper but the fix for the pull to the left problem came a few days too late and purchased a Puma instead.

Brendan
Old 06 March 2002, 03:21 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Cool

Wife has one

10,000 miles coming up & only some minor problems.

ECU replaced & CD Boost Stereo replaced as the combination of these items in earlier model caused drain to battery & windows to open by themselves

Fuel Guage lies - being replaced at 1st service soon.

Washer bottle capacity is bollox (2.5 litres?) as the back end gets filthy & you constantly need to clean the rear window.

Petrol is around the 40mpg area.

Apart from that it is an absolute hoot - shame my wife has to drive it all the time

Mini2 Forum & Website

Old 08 March 2002, 08:35 AM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

Mrs C's has sports suspension plus and 17" wheels. Does make a huge difference.
Old 08 March 2002, 09:13 AM
Mal K
Scooby Regular

We have finally decided to go for it, a Cooper in red with white roof, bonnet stripes and white alloys. Would love to add all the extras but the price then rises steeply and the car no longer seems a bargain.
Old 11 March 2002, 09:54 AM
blair
Scooby Regular

Cool

Just bought one at the weekend after managaging to get my hands on one for a three day test drive

Thought long and hard about the stripes and white allows but decided to stick with the Chilli red / white roof and mirror combo with the 17" wheels.

Also getting a set of chromed driving lamps up front - looks the dogs danglies

Only prob is that the dealer was talking about a mid to end April delivery date

Old 11 March 2002, 01:33 PM
MattOz
Scooby Regular

Cool

Picked mine up on Friday!! It's BRG with a white roof. Chilli pack and 17" S alloys, air con etc etc. Fantastic little car, and the servicing package is fantastic too. Maybe Subaru should take a look into it!

Have done about 180 miles so far, and it's already loosening up nicely. I thought that the speedo might have been a little optimistic, but the car is brisk, and speed comes up quick enough. Certainly sits at 85 mph very nicely thankyou.

Cost me £28 to fill it up too, so we'll see how long that lasts.............

Matt
Old 11 March 2002, 09:59 PM
sonu
Scooby Regular

I have heard that BMW are developing an //M version, imagine that!

Thanks

Sonu
Old 11 March 2002, 10:27 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Cool

Matt

Congrats m8 :d

Run the odometer with it & work it out. For MINXD it was approx 34mpg at the start with running in etc & now currently around 39/40 mark. B roads with a blast on d/c. Wife, despite fear of going round corners, is quite happy to cruise quite high on d/c

If your guage doesn't register full when topped up at petrol station, take it back to dealer. Quite a few have petrol guages that lie - cetainly in the earlier models. Fixed under warranty NP. Just remember that its only 50L not 60L in the tank
Old 11 March 2002, 10:36 PM
Bas
Scooby Regular

I'm taking one for an extended test drive tomorrow morning as I'm thinking of getting rid of my Scoob to save money for a while.

Been quoted a delivery date of the first week of May though

BMW M version is rumoured to have 220bhp

Bas
Old 12 March 2002, 01:07 PM
Robyn
Scooby Regular

Talking

M Version is likley to be vapourware, they are talking about a WORKS version of the S which is tipped to have around 200bhp.

I keep "borrowing" my wifes Cooper as it really is a great car gets from A to B as fast as the scoob (with all the traffic and safe margins for error etc) but feels more fun (especially when you work out what it costs per mile to run).

Thinking of swapping the scoob for an S but feel 2 of them might be a bit too much.

very strange people still stare openly at it, feel very superior when RR and Ferrari drivers cant take their eyes off it.
Old 12 March 2002, 02:06 PM
father_jack
Scooby Regular

EXcellent fun but I do find myself driving far too fast in town.
Must stop that.
Old 14 March 2002, 11:56 AM
Mal K
Scooby Regular

Cool

Ordered ours (well the wifes) last week, Red, white roof, bonnet stripes, pepper pack and white 16"s. Told delivery would be early May, got an excellent part ex too. Only downside is I can see her driving the Scoob more now...Nightmare!!!
Mal
Old 14 March 2002, 11:57 AM
Mal K
Scooby Regular

Ordered ours (well the wifes) last week, Red, white roof, bonnet stripes, pepper pack and white 16"s. Told delivery would be early May, got an excellent part ex too. Only downside is I can see her driving the Scoob more now...Nightmare!!!
Mal
Old 14 March 2002, 03:12 PM
monsta
Scooby Newbie

Hey everyone, I found this board as a friend of mine is getting an Impreza soon.

Anyway I have a new MINI Cooper and just thought I should let you know about the website www.mini2.com, but more importantly www.mini2.com/forum

Oh yeah, look at my website too! www.newmini.info

Old 14 March 2002, 04:26 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Cool

Monsta

Link already up to mini2

Who are you on there? I'm MINXD. Not a regular as it used to be very slow & I spend more time over here

Like your site - very good :d

Old 14 March 2002, 04:32 PM
monsta
Scooby Newbie

My username is monsta on MINI2 as well!

The forum is much better now, they have upgraded the software recently.

We're also starting a club! www.clubmini2.com
Old 14 March 2002, 05:39 PM
Mal K
Scooby Regular

PTMW & Monsta, I'm on there too (Knowlsey), but also spend more time on here. Good site though. Mal
Old 15 March 2002, 09:51 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Cool

monsta

Went back for a look-see & it is definately a tad faster!

I'll look in more often