Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

C6 Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 27 September 2008, 05:50 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C6 Corvette

Likely to be my next car. Anyone know anything from their own experience rather than internet hearsay?
Old 27 September 2008, 07:27 PM
Beef
Scooby Regular

Had one as a hire car while on holiday in the US.

Initial impressions were that compared to my 13yo Supra it wasn't as well screwed together. However it was a hire car and so probably treated quite badly in it's short life. I also wondered if that particular one had had a mild accident at some point.

Handling was good - could be thrown into a corner quite happily. Only thing that jarred was when my wife went over a cattle grid coming out of a corner at about 100ish - it just seemed to shimmy in an odd way. That was the only thing I noticed though, and hell, even the S550 we'd had the day before wasn't keen on the same trick.

The autobox was excellent - full auto was an easy drive, sport mode was a bit fiestier, and manual mode did what it said on the tin - changes were fast (in reality, probably normal person manual fast by the time you have the clutch back up and your foot back down), you could bounce if off the rev limiter if you wanted, it would lock up the torque converter as long as you were going fast enough in the gear selected not to stall. Very, very good indeed.

Interior wise was perfectly pleasant, and I can't recall having any problems with the cockpit layout or reaching/finding anything. Memory keys were a damn nice idea and worked well for the 2 of us driving.

Performance wise was as expected - 6 litres of V8 is just fun. The Supra is a naturally torquey vehicle anyway, but this just had that proper big-cube effortless feel to it. Compared to something like a Scoob it will be a league apart - you will however have to adjust your driving style to make the best use of it.

Fuel economy was to our considerable surprise excellent - 300-odd miles of some pretty 'keen' driving worked out to be 30 miles per imperial gallon!

In honesty, I'd have one in a heartbeat. I would also get a convertible like ours was - it's a fabulous, perfect topless treat. I would also buy the auto - I have no problem with good auto's, and this is one. Even if you are a die-hard manual fan (I am - the Supe is a manual), do it the respect of actually driving the auto before dismissing it. I mean a proper drive too, not just once round the block.

Anything else you'd like to know? Anything specific?
Old 27 September 2008, 11:59 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A mate has one, he loves it,

He wears Cowboy boots........
Old 28 September 2008, 12:36 AM
davecweed
Scooby Regular

do you like the older ones?, you could get a nice 70's c3, they look great!, put in a 383 sb, 500bhp, and great looking car, seen one paris last week, it was so loud!.

ive got a 78 c3 , with new 383(6.3L), and 500 ponies, sounds and looks fantastic, very cheap to insure(£99 fully comp), takes a real man to drive it tho! lol, no abs or traction control, such a great joy to drive

dave
Old 28 September 2008, 12:36 PM
davecweed
Scooby Regular

you could try this in a c3, lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaHIMwqZYFc

dave
Old 28 September 2008, 12:50 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.

Originally Posted by davecweed
do you like the older ones?, you could get a nice 70's c3, they look great!, put in a 383 sb, 500bhp, and great looking car, seen one paris last week, it was so loud!.

ive got a 78 c3 , with new 383(6.3L), and 500 ponies, sounds and looks fantastic, very cheap to insure(£99 fully comp), takes a real man to drive it tho! lol, no abs or traction control, such a great joy to drive

dave
Thanks all, nice info Beef, really useful, nothing else to ask really.

I like the old cars but I'll be leasing the vehicle so a new, manual car, is going to be the choice. That or a Viper but I believe they are far less practical than a C6.

The cowboy-boot-style-disaster won't be an issue as I'll look as cool as usual not being a fat, balding old git.
Old 28 September 2008, 01:41 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

So, are you going to change a 911 Turbo for a Vette ?
Old 28 September 2008, 01:51 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Originally Posted by J4CKO
So, are you going to change a 911 Turbo for a Vette ?
996 Turbo went some months ago, I'm now driving a short term company E90 diesel which is a surprisingly good drivers car.

The C6 will be part of a relocation package I'm in the process of negotiating.
Old 29 September 2008, 09:26 AM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

I had a C5, loved it. I expect the C6 lifted the game further. If you take them for what they are then I think they are very enjoyable. Its never going to be a Porker or Lambo in terms of build quality but its not going to cost anywhere near as much to buy.

The only thing to watch out for, IMHO, is service costs. Mine was looked after by Bauer Millet and they were expensive, a simple service was about 1k.

I would love another, if I ever get my dream which is a house in France I will get another as LHD will be perfect over there.
Old 30 September 2008, 12:12 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NACRO
996 Turbo went some months ago, I'm now driving a short term company E90 diesel which is a surprisingly good drivers car.

The C6 will be part of a relocation package I'm in the process of negotiating.
Is this due to the downturn, NACRO relegated to a diesel BMW, a boggo spec 318d with placcy wheel disks, reduced to dreaming about cars made entirely of plastic ?

I thought of you the other night NACRO, was funny, we went into a Pizza Hut out of hunger and nostalgia (not been in for years) and we ordered, pretty horrific really, my arms were sticking to the tacky substance on the table, the pizza arrived along with the drink I had ordered, a pint of Magners that came with ice in it, what can I say, I was thirsty, its pretty nasty stuff though.